Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 454

Thread: Wrasslin'

  1. #49

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Not sure if anyone saw this.

    I just did and had to hold back the tears.

    Incredibly real, raw, emotional...






  2. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    MCW is having an event down here near where I live in Hollywood, MD, and one of the announced guests is Orange Cassidy. There's a free meet and greet before the show, so I am going basically just to meet him lol. I get a kick out of the guy to be honest.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  3. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    42,519
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    MCW is having an event down here near where I live in Hollywood, MD, and one of the announced guests is Orange Cassidy. There's a free meet and greet before the show, so I am going basically just to meet him lol. I get a kick out of the guy to be honest.
    I feel like Orange Cassidy's character has a great deal of potential. The problem is that it's birthed from the Indy Circuit and there doesn't seem to be anyone around him able to get him out of that Indy Circuit comedy style. If a guy like Cassidy, only used his little tactics as a means of getting under the skin of his opponent, before going into a serious match with a minor spot of humor here and there, he could be even bigger than he is. However, the way he is now, it's just Showtime at the Apollo.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore





  4. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    It will be a shame if AEW can never find more to do with OC than the comedy spots he's doing now. Outside of the Elite, Jericho and Moxley, he's probably the most over act on their roster. He certainly gets the biggest smile out of me most weeks, and I mean that in a good way, since AEW top to bottom is really good right now. It's so good for me personally that they've actually got me considering buying their upcoming PPV, and I haven't actually bought a wrestling PPV since whenever Taker and HBK had their second WM match.

    Speaking of Taker/HBK...I watched NXT Takeover on Sunday and, for as good as those two WM matches were, I don't like how much influence they've had on "big matches" in the years since. Like every match on Takeover, while entertaining and well wrestled, pretty much ended in a flurry of finisher spam and kickouts of said finishers. It's generally all the same, typical match for 15-20 minutes, then start the finisher and kickout spam. I don't remember it being that way back in the 90s/early 00s outside of main event stuff.

    Guess I am old school...if a guy hits a finisher, the other dude should be out. Unless it's a Brock Lesnar, Taker, Cena, "final boss" type guy, a finisher should put you away. And even then with those guys, it can still be comical at times. Two guys working the curtain jerker match should not be hitting 17 finishers or big spots on each other and continually kicking out.
    Last edited by Bhcforlife; 02-18-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  5. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    AEW is SO GOOD!

    The tag team turmoil battle royal whatever to start last night was a lot of fun to watch, even if the outcome was predictable. It's been pretty clear for a while with the direction they've gone with Hangman's character that him and Omega would be wrestling the Bucks at Revolution. More interesting is what direction they go w/ Hangman and the other three, I think they probably wanted to turn Hangman heel but he has gotten SUPER over, so not sure. Not sure you can make Omega or the Bucks heel either because a lot of people watch AEW because of them.

    Statlander vs. Shanna was a competent and watchable women's match, which has been in short supply in AEW. Statlander vs. Nyla Rose should be interesting. Statlander is really good for only being a pro wrestler for a couple years.

    Moxley vs. Jeff Cobb...seriously want to know who thought Jeff Cobb was a good name for a wrestler, or maybe that is his real name, but it's possibly the least intimidating name ever. Match was okay, but Mox is such a star in AEW everything he's involved in gets over. Darby Allin coming out to make the save along with Dustin Rhodes was cool. I love everything about Darby, his attire, music, skateboarding down the ramp entrance, it's all so cool and unique. Guy has big star potential.

    Omega and Page vs. Lucha Bros was ridiculous, as everyone should have expected. Lucha Bros are awesome to watch.

    Cody's moonsault off the top of the steel cage onto Wardlow was amazing, and stands out even with all the other flippy shit AEW does.

    I love this damn promotion and yes I am definitely dropping the $50 for the PPV to see Cody beat MJF's ass and Mox vs. Jericho.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  6. #54

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    AEW is SO GOOD!

    I love this damn promotion and yes I am definitely dropping the $50 for the PPV to see Cody beat MJF's ass and Mox vs. Jericho.
    Wasn't he just in the Royal Rumble? I thought they had to sign contracts with the companies they wrestled for which contained exclusivity clauses.

    Or is AEW another subset of WWE?

    Sorry if this is common knowledge, been out of this loop for a while.





  7. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    AEW is SO GOOD!

    The tag team turmoil battle royal whatever to start last night was a lot of fun to watch, even if the outcome was predictable. It's been pretty clear for a while with the direction they've gone with Hangman's character that him and Omega would be wrestling the Bucks at Revolution. More interesting is what direction they go w/ Hangman and the other three, I think they probably wanted to turn Hangman heel but he has gotten SUPER over, so not sure. Not sure you can make Omega or the Bucks heel either because a lot of people watch AEW because of them.

    Statlander vs. Shanna was a competent and watchable women's match, which has been in short supply in AEW. Statlander vs. Nyla Rose should be interesting. Statlander is really good for only being a pro wrestler for a couple years.

    Moxley vs. Jeff Cobb...seriously want to know who thought Jeff Cobb was a good name for a wrestler, or maybe that is his real name, but it's possibly the least intimidating name ever. Match was okay, but Mox is such a star in AEW everything he's involved in gets over. Darby Allin coming out to make the save along with Dustin Rhodes was cool. I love everything about Darby, his attire, music, skateboarding down the ramp entrance, it's all so cool and unique. Guy has big star potential.

    Omega and Page vs. Lucha Bros was ridiculous, as everyone should have expected. Lucha Bros are awesome to watch.

    Cody's moonsault off the top of the steel cage onto Wardlow was amazing, and stands out even with all the other flippy shit AEW does.

    I love this damn promotion and yes I am definitely dropping the $50 for the PPV to see Cody beat MJF's ass and Mox vs. Jericho.
    MJF losing will kill all the buildup he has. I see him going over Cody still. Dude is legit one of the best heels I've seen in a long time, and he's only wrestled what, twice for AEW? Gotta keep that going and him losing will hurt that momentum.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





  8. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Wasn't he just in the Royal Rumble? I thought they had to sign contracts with the companies they wrestled for which contained exclusivity clauses.

    Or is AEW another subset of WWE?

    Sorry if this is common knowledge, been out of this loop for a while.
    Jericho hasn't been with WWE for awhile now. He was one of the major signings that helped get AEW started. They are NOT affiliated with WWE. They are the new attempt at legit competition for them. Hopefully it works this time

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





  9. #57

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Jericho hasn't been with WWE for awhile now. He was one of the major signings that helped get AEW started. They are NOT affiliated with WWE. They are the new attempt at legit competition for them. Hopefully it works this time

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My bad. Got him mixed up with The Edge who was in this years RR, not Jericho.





  10. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Wasn't he just in the Royal Rumble? I thought they had to sign contracts with the companies they wrestled for which contained exclusivity clauses.

    Or is AEW another subset of WWE?

    Sorry if this is common knowledge, been out of this loop for a while.
    Nick already answered, but Jericho hasn't been with WWE for a while now. He's been with AEW since like last spring I think? AEW is not affiliated with WWE at all, they are bankrolled by the Jaguars owner's son Tony Khan who is also a big wrestling fan. Cody Rhodes (Dusty Rhodes son) is the biggest public figurehead for the company. They come on Wednesday nights at 8-10, and also run a 1 hour YouTube show of Dark matches on Tuesday night at 7.

    So far so good, they are drawing 850-900k, beating WWE's NXT show that runs opposite it on USA typically by 100k-200k people, and crushing them in the 18-49 demo which is what really matters (advertising $$$). They got renewed I believe for 3 more years a month or so ago, so between that and the Khan money, I don't expect them to disappear any time soon. Getting Jericho was a big deal for them and immediately legitimized them as a wrestling company to the casual fan IMO. It was a big part of the success they've had so far. Diehards know the indie guys, but the casual fan needs to see a Jericho or Moxley (Dean Ambrose from WWE) to get pulled in, and they've accomplished that.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    MJF losing will kill all the buildup he has. I see him going over Cody still. Dude is legit one of the best heels I've seen in a long time, and he's only wrestled what, twice for AEW? Gotta keep that going and him losing will hurt that momentum.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I agree, I do think MJF will go over Cody and they'll build to a second match at the next PPV. They have said they want to do old school booking so that would make sense. And I agree not the right time for MJF to lose, he's too hot.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  11. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    If I could make one change it would be to take JR off commentary. I love JR as much as anyone and along with Schiavone he was one of the voices of my childhood, but he's not well suited to calling AEW's style of match. The generally fast paced matches and indie move sets throw him off I think. I would prefer the Dark commentary team of Taz and Excaliber, which is fantastic, with Schiavone doing interviews and occasional commentary. There is a clear difference in commentary quality between Dynamite and Dark IMO.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  12. #60

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Today is the birthday of the late great Buddy Rogers, the original Nature Boy.
    New column on my site dedicated to WWE
    Sports Based Presentation
    http://www.justbringingtheraw.com/columns/sports-based-presentation.html





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site