Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 168

Thread: Wrasslin'

  1. #25

    Re: Wrasslin'

    So I will date myself -- one of the greatest TV matches I saw as a kid was when Larry Zybysko turned on Bruno Sammartino and split him open with a chair! That and when Super Fly Snuka climbed the steel cage in Madison Square Garden and splash bombed Don Murraco!





  2. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    39,338
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I believe that was the match where Regal intentionally tried to wrestle Oldberg and no sold his stuff. Regal was already in his way out of WCW and knew Oldberg was the drizzles. Wanted him to actually have to work a match and showed that he can't.

    That's why it looked like shit. Lol.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Regalís version of the story was that the agent for the match told him to go ten with Goldberg. However, when Eric lividly approached Regal, the agent hid and Regal didnít give him up.





  3. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    39,338
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I agree as far as WWE. But to me he's a different beast in AEW, not having to do scripted promos or stick to PG shit. Plus, standing beside most of the AEW roster, which as you know is filled with smaller guys, he looks like a big deal and a big star. In WWE he was just another guy...

    I was at the show at the Baltimore Arena a couple months ago where he wrestled Kenny Omega in an unsanctioned hardcore match, it was the wildest shit I've ever seen live. I don't think a lot of wrestling purists liked it necessarily but it's exactly the kind of shit I loved about the Attitude Era.
    I was there too and didnít like it. It just got dumb for me. The match should have ended on the barbed wire table. But no, we have to get back up, go through glass, then get back up AGAIN and do a DDT on the Magic KO wood. Nowhere near enough blood for all of the stuff they did.





  4. #28

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by RFChuck View Post
    So I will date myself -- one of the greatest TV matches I saw as a kid was when Larry Zybysko turned on Bruno Sammartino and split him open with a chair! That and when Super Fly Snuka climbed the steel cage in Madison Square Garden and splash bombed Don Murraco!
    I remember that zynysko turn, that was great





  5. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    10,323
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    I've been a big AEW mark since they started up, but God, a lot of last night's episode of Dynamite was just terrible. The segment with Brandi on commentary and the "Nightmare Collective" interrupting the Women's title match was one of the worst segments I've ever seen and I've been watching wrestling for 30 years now. It was 2000/2001 WCW bad.

    I know Cody is head of the company and Brandi is his wife, but she should never, ever be on commentary again. There's heel mean and then there is just mean to be mean, which is what she came across as. Definitely need to reassess the whole angle they are doing with her especially since the men's division has a group (Dark Order) that is virtually the same thing...and they ran the two factions in back to back segments. It wasn't great.
    Twitter: @chemdawg410

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  6. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,150

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I've been a big AEW mark since they started up, but God, a lot of last night's episode of Dynamite was just terrible. The segment with Brandi on commentary and the "Nightmare Collective" interrupting the Women's title match was one of the worst segments I've ever seen and I've been watching wrestling for 30 years now. It was 2000/2001 WCW bad.

    I know Cody is head of the company and Brandi is his wife, but she should never, ever be on commentary again. There's heel mean and then there is just mean to be mean, which is what she came across as. Definitely need to reassess the whole angle they are doing with her especially since the men's division has a group (Dark Order) that is virtually the same thing...and they ran the two factions in back to back segments. It wasn't great.
    They need to bring in other people to help fill out their roster and trim a lot of the fat they have currently.

    Their women's division is complete garbage and the women's champ is about as believable as that little 10 year old kid they have with Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy.

    I still watch it each week because I love having an alt to WWE's horribleness but they are barely more entertaining than Impact at the moment, yet they constantly claim to be competing with and on par with WWE. They are pretty neck and neck in ratings, while beating NXT most weeks, but they have a bunch of flaws they need to work out if they legit want to compete.


    NWA Power is slowly becoming my fav wrestling show to watch.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





  7. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,150

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Let's see if they actually make some changes for the better

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





  8. Re: Wrasslin'

    Anybody watch Hard To Kill or TakeOver: Blackpool II? Excited for Rumble?
    New column on my site dedicated to WWE
    Different Toilet...
    http://www.justbringingtheraw.com/columns/different-toilet.html





  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    10,323
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    Anybody watch Hard To Kill or TakeOver: Blackpool II? Excited for Rumble?
    I always get excited for the Rumble and the RTW, no matter how bad WWE is at the time (which actually, Raw has not been bad recently...this week's episode was great). Rumble is even more intriguing this year with Brock being the first entrant for some reason. I assume based on recent booking Drew McIntyre, who is getting a lot of positive fan response all of a sudden, will eliminate him and that'll be the match at WM.

    I will say I miss the days of my youth when I believed any entrant could win, even guys that in retrospect were just jobber filler, like Headbanger Mosh or Al Snow.

    I was watching AEW Dark on Tuesday and the main event was "Gunn Club", Billy and Austin Gunn (his son) against Shawn Spears (fka Tye Dillinger) and Peter Avalon. I had no idea Billy Gunn's son had gotten into wrestling and while he was obviously green, he's not bad. I'm more amazed at how Billy Gunn can still look as good as he does after all these years in wrestling & at age 57 I think he is.
    Twitter: @chemdawg410

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  10. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    10,323
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Also on AEW...just end the women's division. It's so bad. They have like 2 or 3 people who can work out of the whole group. It makes 2000's era WWE Divas look good by comparison. Like seriously, watching Kelly Kelly wrestle Maria Kanellis would be preferable to what they are doing. It at least needs to be relegated to Dark for a while...it's embarrassing to put that product on TV. Everything is in slow motion and all of the striking is visibly not connecting. For the second week in a row they had a great opener (if you like spotfests) and followed it up by killing the crowd with the women's division. Tony Khan, Cody, and the rest of the EVP's have said they'll listen to fan response and make changes as needed, so hopefully they do exactly that.
    Twitter: @chemdawg410

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  11. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,150

    Re: Wrasslin'

    There is a lot of speculation that with Marty Scurll signing a new ROH contract instead of taking the $ to go work with his best friends over in AEW that the plan is for a working relationship between them. ROH is starting to work together with NWA so working with AEW could possibly be what they all need to try to "compete" with WWE. Instead of poaching talent and overcrowding the rosters, they can continue to work together and have the talent pool of all 3 individual promotions to work together with.

    I'm not so sure that is the goal, but ROH and NWA are starting to cross brand some and Scurll's new contract makes him the booker of ROH now, so it could possibly work. I'd like to see them take the chance and try to see what it could lead to.

    NWA Power is slowly becoming my favorite show to watch, and now having a working relationship with ROH it can only get better IMO.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





  12. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,150

    Re: Wrasslin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Also on AEW...just end the women's division. It's so bad. They have like 2 or 3 people who can work out of the whole group. It makes 2000's era WWE Divas look good by comparison. Like seriously, watching Kelly Kelly wrestle Maria Kanellis would be preferable to what they are doing. It at least needs to be relegated to Dark for a while...it's embarrassing to put that product on TV. Everything is in slow motion and all of the striking is visibly not connecting. For the second week in a row they had a great opener (if you like spotfests) and followed it up by killing the crowd with the women's division. Tony Khan, Cody, and the rest of the EVP's have said they'll listen to fan response and make changes as needed, so hopefully they do exactly that.
    Kenny Omega is in charge of booking the women's division. He thinks that what worked in Japan will automatically work in the States. You can even see that when he wrestles with his stupid facial expressions and weird jerky movements he makes that have absolutely nothing to do with the match psychology.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site