Page 1 of 101 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrasslin'

Wrasslin'

Noticed a healthy amount of wrestling fans on this board prior to joining via threads I came across during a Google search. If you're a wrestling fan or used to be when did you start watching? Which promotion(s) do/did you watch? Who are your fave personalities?
    New column on my site dedicated to WWE
    What Is It About Me?
    http://www.justbringingtheraw.com/columns/what-is-it-about-me.html

Re: Wrasslin'

I am an old school wrestling fan.

From the 80’s all the way to the attitude era...I was bigtime into it.

Post-attitude era, I was more of a casual fan. I check in every now and then to see what’s what.

For my money, Shawn Michaels is the greatest in-ring performer of all time, and SCSA is the greatest superstar of all time.

Been watching since the WCCW days, still watch although it is nowhere near as good as it once was.

During the attitude era, I was more of a WWF fan and still think the NWO was over rated!!

HBK and Sting are my all time favorites

Actually do a little reffing myself for independent promotion and have met CW Anderson and had a training session with him. Sheeew! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I'll go way back to the days of Bruno Sammartino, Andre The Giant, Bobo Brazil, Chief Jay Strongbow, Mr Fuji, Gorilla Monsoon, Killer Kowalski and Haystacks Calhoun. Yeah, I know, most of you are saying Who?

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven
    I'll go way back to the days of Bruno Sammartino, Andre The Giant, Bobo Brazil, Chief Jay Strongbow, Mr Fuji, Gorilla Monsoon, Killer Kowalski and Haystacks Calhoun. Yeah, I know, most of you are saying Who?
    *Chuckles* As a longtime WWE fan I'm familiar especially since I've developed a strong interest in the early history of the company when it was called Capitol Wrestling and then WWWF over the last few years. Were you partial to the tandem of Mr. Fuji/Prof. Toru Tanaka?
    New column on my site dedicated to WWE
    What Is It About Me?
    http://www.justbringingtheraw.com/columns/what-is-it-about-me.html

I don't watch anymore, but I grew up in the 80's watching Hulk Hogan, Captain Lou, etc... Then during the mid 90's my roommates and I started watching Goldberg. Now my son watches and I catch a few episodes with him.

Goldberg was a favorite. Same with Sting.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    *Chuckles* As a longtime WWE fan I'm familiar especially since I've developed a strong interest in the early history of the company when it was called Capitol Wrestling and then WWWF over the last few years. Were you partial to the tandem of Mr. Fuji/Prof. Toru Tanaka?
    I can't say I had a favorite wrestler back then, but the one who stands out in my mind, just because of his physical appearance was Haystacks Calhoun. He supposedly weighed in at 600 lbs and used to wear those suspender jean shorts. He reminds me of Chumlee from Pawn Stars. Chief Jay Strongbow also stands out cause he would not go over too well in today's PC world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L42jWxJvXzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJi-Ayi7K7A

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I don't watch anymore, but I grew up in the 80's watching Hulk Hogan, Captain Lou, etc... Then during the mid 90's my roommates and I started watching Goldberg. Now my son watches and I catch a few episodes with him.

Goldberg was a favorite. Same with Sting.
    Oldberg is on the top of my all time overrated list. Lol.

Never saw the appeal in him nor the undefeated streak of winning against absolute garbage jobbers. I don't fault him at all for riding the push they gave him, but he was absolutely way too green when he started wrestling actual talent and often injured either himself or his opponent. Again, kudos to him for making a nice chunk of change during his career, but he was the absolute shits as an actual wrestler. Lol

The Young Bucks sit at #2 on that list for me. They are 100% spot monkeys that have zero psychology in their matches to even begin to tell a story inside the ring. It's just a back and forth of hitting high spots that would normally end a match, but they and their opponents can kick out of and continue to do even more high spots back and forth for another 10-15 minutes. It's so bad the actual finish of the match gets lost due to all the other high spots performed during the entire match.

Blog Entries

Long time fan, die hard from like 90-01, watched both WCW and WWF, one live and one recorded on VHS every Monday night lol. Casual from 02-present, recently been watching AEW and NXT almost exclusively. I've found the weekly RAW/SD WWE programming to be awful all year, mostly unwatchable. AEW has been a nice alternative although they aren't without issue either.

Favorite wrestler all time is Undertaker or Jericho
    Non wrestler/manager type would be Bobby Heenan, Paul Heyman, or Paul Bearer.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    The Young Bucks sit at #2 on that list for me. They are 100% spot monkeys that have zero psychology in their matches to even begin to tell a story inside the ring. It's just a back and forth of hitting high spots that would normally end a match, but they and their opponents can kick out of and continue to do even more high spots back and forth for another 10-15 minutes. It's so bad the actual finish of the match gets lost due to all the other high spots performed during the entire match.
    You aren't wrong. I love spot fest matches - WM17 TLC is literally my favorite match of all time - but the setup for a lot of the spots the Bucks do is so unnatural. Maybe it works better at indie shows but it's pretty close to cringe on TV.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Incase you cant tell from my avatar, old school fan during the Monday Night Wars. Always was more of a WCW fan and loved me some NWO. When i first created an account here i had Hollywood Hogan as my avatar and kept getting asked if i was apart of the FWO (flacco world order) which was hilarious to me. Those were the golden days for me.

Later got into WWE with my buddies, the John Cena time frame, pre 2007. We would all meet up on mondays, have some drinks and chill. Its unwatchable to me now.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    You aren't wrong. I love spot fest matches - WM17 TLC is literally my favorite match of all time - but the setup for a lot of the spots the Bucks do is so unnatural. Maybe it works better at indie shows but it's pretty close to cringe on TV.
    I'm all about an entertaining match, even if it's a spot fest, but it has to make sense. They will do a high spot for the sake of fitting them all in a single match. Like bust one out of a wrist hold. Smh