Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackled on Fake

Tackled on Fake

I have been watching the NFL since the days of Eddie LeBaron and YA Tittle (yep I am older than a lot of dirt)

I have never seen a NFL QB with the ball handling and faking skills that Lamar is demonstrating - play after play after play.

How many times have Ingraham, Guys the Bus or Justice Hill been tackled after getting the hand off fake from Lamar.

I suspect it is 3 or more times per game. The act of defender going for the tackle takes one or more of the D right out of the play.

Does Filmstudy have any sort of statistics on this?

Re: Tackled on Fake

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I have been watching the NFL since the days of Eddie LeBaron and YA Tittle (yep I am older than a lot of dirt)

I have never seen a NFL QB with the ball handling and faking skills that Lamar is demonstrating - play after play after play.

How many times have Ingraham, Guys the Bus or Justice Hill been tackled after getting the hand off fake from Lamar.

I suspect it is 3 or more times per game. The act of defender going for the tackle takes one or more of the D right out of the play.

Absolutely agree. He's doing the little things. You don't see many Qbs who can do the fakes like he can

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Absolutely agree. He's doing the little things. You don't see many Qbs who can do the fakes like he can
    his playaction is a think of beauty. It's an art in itself.

Blog Entries

This touches on something I’ve discussed in the past. The main reason why this offense has been so difficult to stop is Lamar Jackson. Another reason, which Jackson has had a direct impact in causing, is lack of discipline.

Earlier, in a similar discussion, my opinion was a bit shot down. Basically, that, ‘If it were so easy to stop this offense as just staying disciplined, why hasn’t anyone done it?’

When you watch the Ravens play, you’ll notice that a lot of their big plays start with defenders in, seemingly, good position. That’s because the offense itself is not a complicated offense. It’s a read option offense with a few wrinkles thrown in.

The problem is that, as much as coaches likely stress the importance of discipline in playing assignments, defenders jump out of their lanes and do not fully commit to their assignments. They chase plays, instead of letting the play come to them.

One reason why? They don’t know who has the damned ball. That can play on you mentally. It’s akin to a QB forcing a throw when the offense is struggling, or a defender jumping a route when the defense is in need of a big play.

When you combine that with Roman’s inside trap schemes, Ingram on the inside and Jackson’s speed to the outside, you end up with a lot of defenders stuck in a gray area where death just seems inevitable.

Blog Entries

I think part of it, is the defenders frustration of biting on the fake, they take the free shot on the RB because they can

A lot of times they dont tackle the decoy but in that split second everything changes. They have to actually hand it off at times to keep the defense honest. The DBs must go crazy since they have to do much of the tackling. I think that's why the receivers at times get wide open.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This touches on something I’ve discussed in the past. The main reason why this offense has been so difficult to stop is Lamar Jackson.
    Ya think?

Another reason, which Jackson has had a direct impact in causing, is lack of discipline.

Earlier, in a similar discussion, my opinion was a bit shot down.
    You were wrong about the Niners game. That wasn't lack of discipline; that was the defenders playing assignment football. The defensive game plan was for the unblocked defender to hit the RB every time, and for the second-level players to scrape exchange and handle Lamar. They executed it decenty well in the second half.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Ya think?

You were wrong about the Niners game. That wasn't lack of discipline; that was the defenders playing assignment football. The defensive game plan was for the unblocked defender to hit the RB every time, and for the second-level players to scrape exchange and handle Lamar. They executed it decenty well in the second half.
    Playing your assignment is being disciplined. One had one job. One had the other. Instead of one trying to do the other’s job (Lack of discipline) and jumping out of gaps, they just did their own job. It’s similar to how the Ravens defended the 49ers in the Super Bowl in that first half.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    his playaction is a think of beauty. It's an art in itself.
    I've always thought that if I somehow got a coaching job (despite having no actual credentials), one of the innovative things I would do is bring in a professional magician to refine the QB's play-action. I thought that was a pretty clever idea. Lamar has rendered this idea useless.

Playing your assignment is being disciplined. One had one job. One had the other. Instead of one trying to do the other’s job (Lack of discipline) and jumping out of gaps, they just did their own job. It’s similar to how the Ravens defended the 49ers in the Super Bowl in that first half.
    Yes playing your assignment is discipline - Lamar's ball handling makes disciplined defenders see things as their responsibility that just aren't there. They go for what they see as their responsibility and Lamar goes the other way. That is the beauty of his skills.

Blog Entries

Yes playing your assignment is discipline - Lamar's ball handling makes disciplined defenders see things as their responsibility that just aren't there. They go for what they see as their responsibility and Lamar goes the other way. That is the beauty of his skills.
    Don’t pay me any mind, that was my entire point in my first post. Jim just has a really bad habit of taking a portion of your post, and quoting it to imply you’re saying one thing, when reading the entire post will show you were saying another.

Blog Entries

Do you remember that they used to fumble this fake exchange last year? Not anymore. They really worked hard on it and it's an underrated component of their success.