Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Cleveland Forum Discussing Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The only major sports team whose name is a literary reference, yeah?
    Not sure how major they are but 2 Scottish (round ball) football teams Heart of Midlothian and Queen of the South, both referencing their geographical locations, are named after Walter Scott novels. He was huge in the 19th C. when the teams were being formed.

2. Re: Cleveland Forum Discussing Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I thought both would be great.

Still early to write off Baker. Things could change in a hurry if they got a real coach in there.
    Their OC is Monken. Monken's experience is with Jameis Winston and Tampa Bay. Baker is not Winston, and it doesn't appear that Monken recognizes that. Baker is somewhere between Brees and Rodgers, not necessarily in quality, but he's shorter, and more mobile than Winston (and Carson Palmer, so many of the Browns coaches were Cardinals coaches). Brees, Rodgers, Oklahoma, not Winston and Palmer. Baker is not a tall statue. One year in college Baker threw 141 times, he seems to like throwing on the run, rolling out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GettysburgRaven View Post
    I was in Cleveland in early November. The attitude is night and day compared to pre-season. Most of the fan base bought into the hype. I feel it's important that the Ravens go in there and stomp them silly next week!
    This will be Cleveland's Super Bowl, knocking off the powerful Ravens for a second time in one season will give them hope for the future, unfortunately it will not be, it may be close for awhile but the stains will not be able to stop the MVP & his band of merry men.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    This will be Cleveland's Super Bowl, knocking off the powerful Ravens for a second time in one season will give them hope for the future, unfortunately it will not be, it may be close for awhile but the stains will not be able to stop the MVP & his band of merry men.
    Yes, Browns fans seem to always look for the "consolation prize" since their team doesn't give them playoff games... Bc

Blog Entries

Browns fans whining? It must be......any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    What's a "Brown"?
    Ever hear of Paul Brown?You have no idea how close you were to rooting for the "Baltimore Browns".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Ever hear of Paul Brown?You have no idea how close you were to rooting for the "Baltimore Browns".
    Or it’s the Joe Louis ‘brown bomber’ nickname. I’ve heard both. I never understood why the team doesn’t clarify the origins of the name and say who it was named after.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I was on there earlier. Glad someone created this thread.

It's a mix. Many eating their hearts out. Some filled with blind hatred and rage over it.

Some like him and I think they recognize it hurts to feel that.

I think the consensus is they just wish he played for someone else.
    I didn't read the comments from Browns fans. As a Browns fan, I'm going to comment here, though. Initially, LJ's success was considered a "fluke". It has become a pattern, and must now be accepted as his normal game. This is a "perfect storm" situation with the absolute best coaching staff to bring out the best in a phenomenal player. Of course there are Browns fans, hoping he get's figured out or injured. You guys did the same thing with Mayfield last year. It's disturbing to me that a lot of you read comments from some idiotic Browns fan, and that becomes the "typical" response from all Browns fans in your minds. All fan bases have their share of morons...including this one. Of course, I want to see LJ play like crap in our stadium....but I don't want him injured. Do you really think I paid $900.00 for tickets to that game to watch that guy run for 3 TD's and throw for 5 against us?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Or it’s the Joe Louis ‘brown bomber’ nickname. I’ve heard both. I never understood why the team doesn’t clarify the origins of the name and say who it was named after.
    I had posted this earlier. I think the consensus is that the Joe Lewis version is debunked. A WashPo reporter wrote it in 1995 when the Browns moved to Baltimore, without attribution. Louis has no Cleveland ties, he just happened to be at his peak when the 1945 fan vote was held. Panthers beat out Browns, but a defunct AFL team owner claimed rights to the name and they had to talk Coach Brown into accepting the Browns nickname. The HOF officially says he is the source of the name, but there is no real proof for either version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Browns....not a really creative or attractive name. As they say..."it is, what it is"....I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    While I suspect you are right about the origination, I'd wager not close at all to that name in Baltimore. The name was changed from Browns when they moved, regardless of how it started. And Paul Brown (who BTW got his coaching start at a local MD high school) wasn't going to be coach in Baltimore because not only had he been in a bitter dispute with Modell while with the Browns, he was ....deceased in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    While I suspect you are right about the origination, I'd wager not close at all to that name in Baltimore. The name was changed from Browns when they moved, regardless of how it started. And Paul Brown (who BTW got his coaching start at a local MD high school) wasn't going to be coach in Baltimore because not only had he been in a bitter dispute with Modell while with the Browns, he was ....deceased in 1996.
    A little confusing....the point of my comment was that Art fully intended to take the Cleveland franchise to Baltimore, but was legally blocked. If you research this, you will find that in the early hours / days of the announcement, Modell, himself referred to the team as the Baltimore Browns. That franchise was assigned to Cleveland and could not be moved. The franchise remained in Cleveland, and Baltimore received a new franchise by the NFL IN 1996. When Irsay did it to you, no one really made any effort to block the move. That's why they are still the Colts. Paul Brown had nothing to do with the move. He owned the Bengals, but I'll bet he had some comments on it.