Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Cleveland Forum Discussing Lamar Jackson

The salt levels are high in Cleveland after not getting the AFC North title that they were promised in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    What's a "Brown"?
    Archie Bunker can best answer that question. Lol

Blog Entries

You had better get used to the haters. It comes with the territory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    There is some debate on the origin. Most come to the conclusion it was named for then coach Paul Brown. Like the Ravens, it was chosen by fan vote, in 1945. Like the Ravens, the owner preferred a different name. (David Modell preferred Baltimore Americans, which lost in the poll. Americans was a reference to a steam locomotive built here and the Star Spangled Banner Birthplace). Paul Brown wanted them to be named Cleveland Panthers. A legal dispute and an AFL team resolved hit and Paul Brown relented.

Some claim, including a 1995 Wash Post story when the Browns moved to Baltimore, that the team was named the Brown Bombers after Joe Lewis and later shortened. There isn't evidence to back up either story, but the latter seems unlikely. Lewis has no connection to Cleveland.
    I remember the poll, but don't remember this option. It doesn't work. Can you imagine the Americans vs. the Patriots? I am glad they went with Poe's Crows.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadmador View Post
    The salt levels are high in Cleveland after not getting the AFC North title that they were promised in the preseason.

To pull an EX I said it at the time the two qb's I didn't want in the draft were Rosen and Mayfield.

Could be happier he ended up in Cleveland. The guy is Johnny Manziel 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    The Browns own Cincinnati.
    Brown was both the co-founder and first coach of the Cleveland Browns, a team named after him, and later played a role in founding the Cincinnati Bengals. ... He retired from coaching in 1975 but remained the Bengals' team president until his death in 1991.

8. Re: Cleveland Forum Discussing Lamar Jackson

I was in Cleveland in early November. The attitude is night and day compared to pre-season. Most of the fan base bought into the hype. I feel it's important that the Ravens go in there and stomp them silly next week!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    ... Some claim ... when the Browns moved to Baltimore, that the team was named the Brown Bombers after Joe Lewis and later shortened. There isn't evidence to back up either story, but the latter seems unlikely. Lewis has no connection to Cleveland.
    And his name was Joe Louis (not "Lewis"). My understanding at the time was that the name the NFL had in mind for the proposed Baltimore expansion franchise (that Tagliamotherfuckingbue made sure we'd never get) was the Bombers, alluding to plane models made before, during & after WW2 at the Glenn L. Martin plant in Middle River. (They could just as easily have been the Seaplanes - Martin was well known for its flying boats, culminating in the beautiful P6M Seamaster, a jet-powered strategic-bomber seaplane that "almost" entered service.)

The name selection process is described here on the team website. After trying unsuccessfully to obtain "Colts" from the Irsays, the Modells opened the process up to fan input, and Poe's Poetic Crow was the runaway choice.

Trivia: A Martin flying-boat also lent its name to Baltimore's Mars Super Markets chain (1943-2016); the plane in question was the Martin JRM Mars, one of the largest seaplanes ever built in the US. Although the name was not related to the Red Planet, the astronomical body did inspire its iconic logo.)
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Meanwhile, Jets players waited in line for a Lamar autograph. Lol. But yea, Browns fans got this figured out. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    To pull an EX I said it at the time the two qb's I didn't want in the draft were Rosen and Mayfield.
    I thought both would be great.

Still early to write off Baker. Things could change in a hurry if they got a real coach in there.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    ...and Poe's Poetic Crow was the runaway choice.
    The only major sports team whose name is a literary reference, yeah?