Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Gottlidweeb would still take Sam Darnold over Lamar

If you want a guy for eight years, you’ll still have to pay him a second contract. That will cover the last three of the eight. That won’t come cheap.

this be why Gottleib (sp?) is on the radio and DeCosta is in the executive suite.

really looking forward to see what Lamar does in the postseason. step it up!!!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smackums View Post
    Mike Golic Jr. said it best. If Lamar wins a ring or two and only lasts 8 years then I'd much rather take 8 years of Lamar than 15 years of Matt Ryan.

Wins > Points > Yards
    Even Golic, while trying to compliment Lamar, is buying into this short career canard. The fact is, no one knows. LJ is not more likely to have a short career than Mahomes or Watson or any other QB at 22 is. He is not taking more shots because he runs, if anything, he is taking less because he is not a statue in the pocket. The hits he takes are not defenseless hits and he is able to evade most of them anyway. He takes much less contact than a running back does. So I don't buy any of that. Newton got injured because he did, like many other QBs. It was not because he ran.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If you want a guy for eight years, you’ll still have to pay him a second contract. That will cover the last three of the eight. That won’t come cheap.
    And your point is?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    And your point is?
    Go read the post I quoted and you’ll know.

The issue here is that contact piling up wears on the body. When Lamar throws, he's not just throwing with his arm. He's also throwing with his core, among other areas of the body. If contact adds up and wears down other areas of his body, even with all of the potential he has, it will affect his throwing down the line. It's not so black and white as to say that if he gets banged up running, he can just become a pure pocket passer. That getting banged up is going to affect his passing.

We don't say this about RBs, because we accept that they aren't going to be worth giving a second contract to. Much like other positions. However, despite the reality that they have all been injured at some point, and all from hits in the pocket, there's a reason why the AFC has been represented by the same QBs for that past fifteen years.

So, while I understand just letting him play, I also get the thought process behind why QBs are viewed differently, with regard to contact. You don't draft a QB assuming you'll draft another one in four years. You draft him, hoping that he can be the face of your team for a decade or more.
    Here is the thing though....on all of those runs, what contact is he actually sustaining? I find it funny when I hear analysts talk about the sustainability of his style of play because they count EVERY rushing attempt as a "hit" Lamar takes. My "eyes" tell me he is probably taking an actual hit on maybe 5% of those carries as he gets down or out of bounds majority of the time. Even when he is taking a hit on 5% of those carries, it is usually a glancing blow because of his uncanny awareness in protecting himself. Call me crazy, but I see Lamar having a Brady/Brees/Manning type of career in terms of success and longevity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    Here is the thing though....on all of those runs, what contact is he actually sustaining? I find it funny when I hear analysts talk about the sustainability of his style of play because they count EVERY rushing attempt as a "hit" Lamar takes. My "eyes" tell me he is probably taking an actual hit on maybe 5% of those carries as he gets down or out of bounds majority of the time. Even when he is taking a hit on 5% of those carries, it is usually a glancing blow because of his uncanny awareness in protecting himself. Call me crazy, but I see Lamar having a Brady/Brees/Manning type of career in terms of success and longevity.
    Well, I can definitively say that Lamar Jackson is taking contact on more than 5% of his runs. I can also definitively say that he is taking far more contact on runs than in the pocket. On QB Hits (In the pocket) alone, he’s near the fewest in the league.

Now, I think everyone can agree that most of the contact Lamar takes, doesn’t ‘look’ bad. I would just warn against this idea of equating ‘look’ with impact. The last time I had this discussion, I brought up the Bo Jackson tackle. A hip rarely fractures on one tackle. It weakens and weakens and then when contorted it can go. In Bo’s case, he had so many defenders bouncing off of him from the side. Eventually, the tackle (Not even a ‘hit’ hit) that ended his career looked like a routine tackle.

Former players in the media, believe it or not, know a little more than we do about how contact affects their bodies and the speed of the NFL.

Well, I can definitively say that Lamar Jackson is taking contact on more than 5% of his runs. I can also definitively say that he is taking far more contact on runs than in the pocket. On QB Hits (In the pocket) alone, he’s near the fewest in the league.

Now, I think everyone can agree that most of the contact Lamar takes, doesn’t ‘look’ bad. I would just warn against this idea of equating ‘look’ with impact. The last time I had this discussion, I brought up the Bo Jackson tackle. A hip rarely fractures on one tackle. It weakens and weakens and then when contorted it can go. In Bo’s case, he had so many defenders bouncing off of him from the side. Eventually, the tackle (Not even a ‘hit’ hit) that ended his career looked like a routine tackle.

Former players in the media, believe it or not, know a little more than we do about how contact affects their bodies and the speed of the NFL.
    Ok so he slow down to 4 4 speed and Russell Wilson career

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    Ok so he slow down to 4 4 speed and Russell Wilson career

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Lol. Hey, I’ll take that.

Go read the post I quoted and you’ll know.
    You literally did not quote a post, in that one Uli was asking you about.

The issue here is that contact piling up wears on the body. When Lamar throws, he's not just throwing with his arm. He's also throwing with his core, among other areas of the body. If contact adds up and wears down other areas of his body, even with all of the potential he has, it will affect his throwing down the line. It's not so black and white as to say that if he gets banged up running, he can just become a pure pocket passer. That getting banged up is going to affect his passing.
    Right: for example, look at the short careers of Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick.

Blog Entries

If QB longevity is the Wholly Grail, put yours in the pistol & have him hand off on every down. Crap, even Puss-In-Cleats would be able to suit up till he was eligible for Medicare.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!