Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Win next two games then rest starters?

I don't like the idea of anyone not playing for three full weeks. I would treat it like a 2nd or 3rd preseason game and play my starters most of a half.

If we lock up 1 seed by week 17 treat the Steelers game like a preseason game.

Give the starters a half and get them off field. There’s already a week off we don’t need 3 weeks off between Browns and divisional round.

I don't know about resting starters. I get where you are coming from, but I hate the Steelers and feel we need to beat the sh!t out of them.

Blog Entries

FTR, according to my calculations & the ESPN Playoff Machine, if the Squealers win even one of their next two (BUF, @NYJ) they will clinch a WC. Other than the Buffs (who will be #5 unless they win the AFC Least with Cheats falling to #5), no other AFC non-division-winner will have fewer than 7 losses, and tiebreakers favor the Tar&Piss over any other possible 9-7 team (OAK & any two of TEN/IND/HOU).

So if the Ravens come into Week 17 at 13-2 (or 12-3 with the #1 seed clinched) and the Stealers are at 8-6, the outcome of their game would be irrelevant to the postseason, & both sides could dress the cheerleaders. (Or undress them, which might be far more interesting to the dirty old men of all ages who watch these things. )
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

A number of years ago, the Ravens were in a similar situation with playing the Steelers the last game of the season or resting starters ahead of the playoffs. The Ravens had locked up the division and were going to play the Titans during the Wild Card round the next week. They decided to play their starters and try to win the game against the Steelers anyway. I think Billick said that it was important for the Ravens to win that meaningless game to make a statement going into the playoffs. It was a brutally physical game that I believe the Ravens won, but that game took so much out of them that they came out flat against the Titans in the playoffs the next week and lost that game. So, I say if the #1 seed is locked up, rest the starters and anyone else who is even marginally banged up.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    FTR, according to my calculations & the ESPN Playoff Machine, if the Squealers win even one of their next two (BUF, @NYJ) they will clinch a WC. Other than the Buffs (who will be #5 unless they win the AFC Least with Cheats falling to #5), no other AFC non-division-winner will have fewer than 7 losses, and tiebreakers favor the Tar&Piss over any other possible 9-7 team (OAK & any two of TEN/IND/HOU).

So if the Ravens come into Week 17 at 13-2 (or 12-3 with the #1 seed clinched) and the Stealers are at 8-6, the outcome of their game would be irrelevant to the postseason, & both sides could dress the cheerleaders. (Or undress them, which might be far more interesting to the dirty old men of all ages who watch these things. )
    I think there is a scenario where the Titans or Texans could get the last spot if the Steelers lose to us in week 17.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Some players might have bonuses tied to games-played; and many players have a point of pride in consec games-started or things like that.

Pull a Peyton-Manning-Indy thing: start everyone as normal, pull them after a series or so.
    You remember how badly Peyton's teams did in the playoffs when they were a top seed, right?

I posted this in the Around the League thread, but it's more appropriate here:

[Resting starters] won't happen. Not Harbs' style, nor should it be. I remember so many years of the Manning Colts locking up playoff seeding a week or two early, resting starters, and then coming in cold and getting bounced in the first round.

It's a tough balancing act, because if you lose an impact player to injury you're going to get crucified. I would hope they treat it like a preseason game. Give the starters enough reps to keep them on point, and adjust the play calling to minimize risk.

But Harbs being Harbs, does anyone really think he is going to roll over for a Steelers team that will almost certainly be fighting for their playoff lives?
    "Chin up, chest out."

If we enter with HFA secured, it should play out as follows:

Lamar, Andrews, and Yanda play the first series, regardless of outcome.

RGIII takes over, plays 2-3 series. After that, the entire starting o-line should be on the bench, along with Ingram, Snead, and Hollywood. On Defense, Judon, ETIII, Peters, Humphrey, and Smith should all be on the bench by halftime.

There is NO reason to risk contact for these guys in a game that cannot influence the standings. While they are on the field, they have to play at full speed. It's a tough line to walk at this point, but I think this team has the discipline to do it the right way (don't risk I injury/don't get rusty).

Regardless of what scenarios come up I feel like the ravens should play their starters for at least one half. Would be good to keep the momentum going. The idea of the starters not playing a game for 3 weeks could backfire on us.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Absolutely rest the players. Lamar doesn't strike me as the kind of player that needs to keep playing to have that fire. He'll be ready to go as will everyone else with even with 3 weeks rest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    A number of years ago, the Ravens were in a similar situation with playing the Steelers the last game of the season or resting starters ahead of the playoffs. The Ravens had locked up the division and were going to play the Titans during the Wild Card round the next week. They decided to play their starters and try to win the game against the Steelers anyway. I think Billick said that it was important for the Ravens to win that meaningless game to make a statement going into the playoffs. It was a brutally physical game that I believe the Ravens won, but that game took so much out of them that they came out flat against the Titans in the playoffs the next week and lost that game. So, I say if the #1 seed is locked up, rest the starters and anyone else who is even marginally banged up.

They were trying to get Jamal Lewis the single season rushing record. They game was on Sunday Night Football I believe. If not for Lewis I think Billick rests the players.

Considering how Harbaugh teams come out in both week one and byes, I don't think rust is really a concern.

Even if the key players don't play week 17, they're still going to be practicing for 3 weeks, and could actually spend all that time installing new plays and looks they haven't given teams all season.