Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Points Allowed: Patriots 2019 vs. Ravens 2000

The Patriots defense is fraudulent

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    A bit off topic, but I still feel like that 2006 defense is still the best ever fielded in Ravens franchise history. That is despite the lack of "press-tige" received, which was/is of course based mainly upon the fact that mostly McNair along with the rest of the offense totally let the team down in their one postseason game played. Obviously, that was the stinging Divisional Round home loss — as #2 seed @ 13-3 just behind #1 Seed SD @ 14-2, one of those 2 losses coming Week 4 in Baltimore — vs. the Colts, in spite of Baltimore 'D' holding Peyton Manning & Co. to 15 points via Vinatieri's handful of FGs, including one which luckily bounced in off the goal post.
    I remember how good the 2006 defense was. Definitely underrated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    A bit off topic, but I still feel like that 2006 defense is still the best ever fielded in Ravens franchise history. That is despite the lack of "press-tige" received, which was/is of course based mainly upon the fact that mostly McNair along with the rest of the offense totally let the team down in their one postseason game played. Obviously, that was the stinging Divisional Round home loss — as #2 seed @ 13-3 just behind #1 Seed SD @ 14-2, one of those 2 losses coming Week 4 in Baltimore — vs. the Colts, in spite of Baltimore 'D' holding Peyton Manning & Co. to 15 points via Vinatieri's handful of FGs, including one which luckily bounced in off the goal post.
    I’ll say this, the 2006 team would have definitely been remembered differently if they went all the way.

The 2006 Ravens defense was one of the best, if not the best defense in Ravens history, even though statistically the 2000 defense was superior in multiple categories. The 2006 team may not have held the records the 2000 team did, but they were dominate in other areas such as sacks (60 to 35 ).

The 2019 NE defense is very good, but they're not on par with the 2000/2006 Ravens team.

Blog Entries

I wouldn’t say that the Patriots defense is fraudulent. Perhaps, a bit overstated. However, for them to still be in position for a first round bye, with the way their offense has been playing, is a testament to Bill Belichick and his job of overseeing that defense.

Like most Belichick/Patriot defenses, it’s a very intelligent, disciplined and sound defense, that isn’t the most athletic. So, it can be had by athletic QBs. That has been the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Were it not for Rex Ryan panicking and choking and calling a timeout the 72 dolphins could still be doing that.
    Oh, they’re still doing that (thanks to David Tyree.) ‘72 Phins are still the only undefeated team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

That 2006 team definitely has the most sting attached to not winning it all, much less being one and done to the Fake Colts. That may have been the most complete team we've ever had.

That defense was nasty, we had a pro-bowl level player at almost every position. Suggs, Price, Scott, and AD all had over 9 sacks individually. Our defensive backfield was Reed, McAlister, Landry, and Rolle.

On offense we had some aging players with McNair and Jamal Lewis, but we were solid pretty much across the board. Heap, Mason, and Clayton was a solid grouping.

Its hard to compare the 2000 offense to modern offenses for two reasons:

1. The game before 2004 was so different, and was not as slanted towards the offense. So the crazy numbers that our guys put up just aren't as impressive compared to similar numbers put up now.
    2. However, what we did was pretty impressive considering how inept our offense was. When a bad offense puts the defense back on the field, and doesn't help out with field position, great performances are pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Nope...20 and 52 gives it to the 2006 D...
    Maybe a hot take, but I'd actually take 2000 Rod Woodson over 2006 Ed Reed. People forget Ed Reed actually had some struggles in the first half of that season (magnified by Samari Rolle, but Reed wasn't 100% off the hook either).

2000 Ray > 2006 Ray as well by a decent margin.