Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: It's 4th and Goal

Quote Originally Posted by gellinho View Post
    Or a slant to Lockette
    Dumbest shit I've ever seen called. Fucking stupid. Belichick couldn't even believe they did it. And he KNEW they were going to do it. Belichick must be Bullet-Toothed Tony.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    You have about a 54% chance of scoring on any given play from the 1-yard line. Contrast that with a near 100% chance of tying the game with a FG, followed by a 50% chance of winning in OT. So the analytics argue that you should go for it.

But forget about the numbers: You're telling me I have a chance to win a SB if I'm just willing to put the ball in LJ's hands and ask him to get me one yard?
    I'm a fan of Harbaugh, but I would never, ever, EVER forgive him if he chickened-out in that scenario.
    Right?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3. Re: It's 4th and Goal

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Superbowl
    1 second left in the 4th
    Ball is on the 1

Your opponent is a healthy San Francisco 49er defense that just got 7 minutes of rest after a long drive by their offense and they haven't eaten since breakfast.

The score is 27-24 with the 49ers on top. Do you kick the chip shot field goal or run it right up the gut for the win with every inch of heart that's inside of Lamar Jacksons chest... or do you have a different play in mind?

Go.
    One of the things that the Ravens have tested already is the short yardage blocking abilities of players like Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Jelly Ellis, Daylon Mack, Peko. What the Ravens somehow determined that 6'1 330+ DTs were naturally extremely excellent run blockers. They lack the ranginess the lateral quickness that pass blockers forming a pocket generally need, but they really, because they're short, very heavy and quite fast for their weight, can run block, and the Ravens know that if they mass 4 additional 330+ pound run blockers who are actually DTs out there in a short yardage situation, the likelihood of a Lamar success goes up by a lot.

I don't see a Ravens / 49ers Super Bowl coming down to the wire. These things like many massive DT run blockers will, I think, have been thought of, have been readied for usage where needed, and will be used where needed. I just can't help but think that, because the new wrinkles are there, imaginable but not yet seen, with players the Ravens currently have. (I'd be curious to see how many teams in NFL history have had 5 DTs averaging over 330 pounds that offenses could just throw in there for completel dominant run blocking. I don't know this for a fact, but so often those 330+ pound DTs are pretty much neutralized by 2 OLs double teaming them. When it's switched, and you take 2 DTs who require 2 OLs to stop, and you put them, whatever number, whatever circumstance, they're just physically going to be able to completely obliterate whatever the defense has. 2 330+ pound NTs vs 1 330+ pound NT. The one guy is being pushed away. Some tall 9ers DT vs 660+ pounds of DT? They are out of the way, Lamar has room to run, and there's a 330+ pounder ready to push him over the line if needed. But it won't be needed. Because they would have already rolled out any number of other innovations, things we've seen once, maybe, and those defenses aren't at all capable of stopping whatever it is that the Ravens are giving them in the playoffs. If necessary. It's quite possible that continuing to do pretty much what is being done - max power blocking that contains a lot of good catching TE/FBs as well as multiple weapons just wins out. But I think they have the wrinkles we're seen sparingly. More Heisman package , 2 running QBs. Ricard between the tackles in situations that include short yardage, but don't require short yards. Etc. What they shouldn't do is revert to generic pass offense if they have short term problems with the run game because the Ravens (in the playoffs, AFC Championship, Super Bowl) are playing one of the best teams in the NFL and they're trying very hard to stop the Ravens. The Ravens have been doing a very good job recently of passing at the right times. Earlier in the year, there were some cases of passing when not necessary. It seems like they're passing more sparingly, in the right situations, and having pretty great results passing. Run run run TD pass leads to great passing. The Ravens if the run game has a hiccup at some important time then roll out the rare innovations and get back on track with the run game, don't switch gears and hope for the best with the pass game. The Chargers wild card game had not enough Lamar running. Not saying that Lamar running is the only feature of the offense, it could work out that the rbs have a field day. Or something else different than that. Maybe the Ravens studied the 9ers and put another super fast outside runner on the field (Mostert was under 200 pounds and a 4.38 40) like Hollywood Brown, or De'Anthony Thomas. Maybe the fact that Olympic trainers and Olympic runners thought that RGIII could make the 2020 Tokyo Olympics means that RGIII is still fast. The Ravens might need nothing close to the kitchen sink, but they should have it. There are some teams that so lack the right kind of talent to mount an adequate short yardage run (see the Browns) that they end up throwing a lot inside the 5. The Ravens have such a diverse set of potent skill sets they can use from a wide variety of players that these type of innovations should be at least somewhat easy and natural.

You go for it but you run an option. live and die by lamar, he makes the right decision and we win, he makes the wrong one and we dust ourselves down and go again

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    It's about the testosterone.

In male humans, testosterone plays a key role in the development of male reproductive tissues such as testes
    And a key role in aggressive decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You know what, you made a stupid decision yourself! Not resigning from Michigan you rivalry losing bastard! How dare you lecture me on stupidity. My mother always told me that if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous. I had to take that from her. I will NOT take it from a man who gets a sieve showed up his ass by Ohio State once a winter!
    Osu is turning into the Alabama of the north. Not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Too much time left. 41 seconds.

Far too many variables that aren't known.

Is our D gassed like it was in that MNF game in Houston in 2010?

If everything is equal, I go for it.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Punch it in

Lamar all day long, twice (or more) on Sundays. You gotta dance with the one that got you there and if we get to the SB it's because Jackson got us there. Give it to your best player and live with it, no regrets.

This is truly a hypothetical because San Francisco isn't putting up 27 points on these Ravens in the Super Bowl.

Baltimore special