Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Re: The Music Thread

I had an uncle that was 8 years older then me, so when I was 14 or 15 he was in his early 20's. He would take me to concerts at a young age. As mentioned I saw Kiss when I was 14 or 15. My very first concert was at RFK Stadium, Lynard Skynard, Ted Nugent was there, I think Heart played as well. It was an all day music festival. I remember the price.........$5.00. I remember when concerts went up to $10.00......I said that's it! I am not paying anymore to go to a concert.......LOL Now days a $100 is cheap. My wife was a big Bon Jovi fan and I bought her tickets for her birthday one year........$100 a piece, she almost had a heart attack. Concert tickets have become ridiculous. Bands like the Stones, Aerosmith and many others charge $1000+ for upfront seats.

I remember when we would wait out all weekend to get tickets at the Hecht company at Golden Ring mall.........$28 for front row seats to Van Halen.

My best concert memory? We went to the Civic center on July 3rd to see Ted Nugent, Blackfoot and Krokus, we left the concert that night and drove through the night to Richmond Va the next day ( July 4th) Kings Dominion to see 38 Special and some other southern rock band.......... I think Molly Hatchet. The great part about it wasn't the concerts......it was the journey. God bless the 80's.
    Always buying Antique and vintage items......

2. Re: The Music Thread

I'm sure some of you all remember the old Painters Mill Music Fair? I worked there for four years and saw some really big names.....met many of them, even sorta got to know a few. I've got stories....lol

https://www.concertarchives.org/venu...1-85f0b480b233

3. Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I'm sure some of you all remember the old Painters Mill Music Fair? I worked there for four years and saw some really big names.....met many of them, even sorta got to know a few. I've got stories....lol

Ha! Went there many many times. Crack the Sky was like the house band there. I also was a huge Shooze/Generators/Kix fan. I have met them many times. Brian is one of the nicest human beings you will ever meet. Steve? Not so much. When he was younger he was.......OK. But as he aged he became......I dunno.....bitter? Jaded? LOL.......... just a dick. Face Dancer was good. I lived walking distance to the Seagull Inn so I got to see a lot of bands. I mean I lived like two blocks away.

4. Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    Ha! Went there many many times. Crack the Sky was like the house band there. I also was a huge Shooze/Generators/Kix fan. I have met them many times. Brian is one of the nicest human beings you will ever meet. Steve? Not so much. When he was younger he was.......OK. But as he aged he became......I dunno.....bitter? Jaded? LOL.......... just a dick. Face Dancer was good. I lived walking distance to the Seagull Inn so I got to see a lot of bands. I mean I lived like two blocks away.
    Yeah....I'm an ol' Reisterstown guy who hung out in the area of Owings Mills for many years. Went to school at Franklin. The one guy that sticks out in my memory from working there and was by far the biggest asshole was Steven Tyler w/Aerosmith.

Blog Entries

Re: The Music Thread

Not sure if anyone mentioned but Iím sure people will remember it. 9:30 Club announced they bought the rights toÖ

H F S t i v a l

My Facebook timeline was going crazy when they announced. Grew up going to those shows. Gonna be at Nats Park in August. No bands announced which will obviously be the decider in good or not. Hoping for HFS era bands like those festivals in Vegas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    I had an uncle that was 8 years older then me, so when I was 14 or 15 he was in his early 20's. He would take me to concerts at a young age. As mentioned I saw Kiss when I was 14 or 15. My very first concert was at RFK Stadium, Lynard Skynard, Ted Nugent was there, I think Heart played as well. It was an all day music festival. I remember the price.........$5.00. I remember when concerts went up to $10.00......I said that's it! I am not paying anymore to go to a concert.......LOL Now days a $100 is cheap. My wife was a big Bon Jovi fan and I bought her tickets for her birthday one year........$100 a piece, she almost had a heart attack. Concert tickets have become ridiculous. Bands like the Stones, Aerosmith and many others charge $1000+ for upfront seats.
    I've been lucky...my total per ticket cost for the three shows I'm going to this summer/fall was $25, $25, and $50. That's all in, no fees. Two are completely GA in club type venue so potentially really close and the other one is GA seating behind a pit so I'm going to get in line early and try to get front row.

Most I've paid for a concert ticket was $250 for Queen and Adam Lambert and because I rate Brian May and Roger Taylor very highly it was definitely worth the money for me. There are very few bands I would pay that kind of money to see up close but that is one of them.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Hfstival lineup was announced and itís pretty bad. Death Cab and the Postal Service, two bands that werenít even played on HFS when it existed, are headline. Incubus, Bush, and Jimmy Eat World are good picks but not enough to make me go. Like where is Jimmies Chicken Shack? Where is Good Charlotte? I assume they werenít asked.

Blog Entries

Sometimes I think I'm good at straight downpicking on guitar, in a metal context, but then I'll watch 80's era Metallica or specifically James and realize I'm nowhere close lol fucking hell man. I can play Creeping Death all down picks though I do cheat when it slows down before the chorus (the dun dun DAH dun dun DAH) I alternate pick on the low E for that and A string. And definitely nowhere near as fast as he's playing it in this. I can play it to the recording, not this. If you've never played guitar to be able to play this fast with all down picks is absurd. To be able to play this fast for an hour and half with all down picks WHILE SINGING is just otherwordly. It's why I think James never gets enough credit for being as good as guitarist as he is. What he's doing in this is every bit as impressive as a Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen just in a different way.

Closing an hour and half long set with Fight Fire with Fire is just ridiculous too by the way. On all their parts but especially Lars since he's playing everything a good bit faster than album.

Also is Kirk playing a Strat in this...? I didn't know he ever played a Strat but it looks like one.
    Last edited by Bhcforlife; 06-20-2024 at 08:40 AM.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm good at straight downpicking on guitar, in a metal context, but then I'll watch 80's era Metallica or specifically James and realize I'm nowhere close lol fucking hell man. I can play Creeping Death all down picks though I do cheat when it slows down before the chorus (the dun dun DAH dun dun DAH) I alternate pick on the low E for that and A string. And definitely nowhere near as fast as he's playing it in this. I can play it to the recording, not this. If you've never played guitar to be able to play this fast with all down picks is absurd. To be able to play this fast for an hour and half with all down picks WHILE SINGING is just otherwordly. It's why I think James never gets enough credit for being as good as guitarist as he is. What he's doing in this is every bit as impressive as a Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen just in a different way.

Closing an hour and half long set with Fight Fire with Fire is just ridiculous too by the way. On all their parts but especially Lars since he's playing everything a good bit faster than album.

Also is Kirk playing a Strat in this...? I didn't know he ever played a Strat but it looks like one.
    Then try doing it for 3 hours like they did at Woodstock Ď99 when I saw them.

Honestly, a lot of the virtuoso type noodle-y players donít really impress me much.

Petrucciís sweep picking sounds impressive, Van Halenís everything were impressive, but Malmsteen and Eric Johnson type just sound fast for the sake of being fast.

Give me a Gilmour solo any day over that. You should be able to sing along with a soloÖ. Like any of Floydís or the famous Zeppelin or Skynyrd solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Then try doing it for 3 hours like they did at Woodstock ‘99 when I saw them.

Honestly, a lot of the virtuoso type noodle-y players don’t really impress me much.

Petrucci’s sweep picking sounds impressive, Van Halen’s everything were impressive, but Malmsteen and Eric Johnson type just sound fast for the sake of being fast.

Give me a Gilmour solo any day over that. You should be able to sing along with a solo…. Like any of Floyd’s or the famous Zeppelin or Skynyrd solos.

I'm with you on that. I've always preferred listening to and learning rhythm sections not just because I'm not great at lead, but in many cases they are more interesting than the lead parts. I've discovered some awesome riffs backing solos that I never picked up on until actually learning the song. Here is one example from a song I'm currently learning, starting about 3:20...though if you don't know what the backing part sounds like it may be a little tough to pick up under the solo. I respect the hell out of guys like Malmsteen and Satriani but I don't really "enjoy" listening to them. I know it isn't but a lot of that feels like notes being mashed together just for the sake of fitting as much in as possible. Give things time to breath, much better.
    back on twitter

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post

I have seen Crack the Sky several times, three of those at Painter's Mill. Those were excellent shows.

12. Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Then try doing it for 3 hours like they did at Woodstock ‘99 when I saw them.

Honestly, a lot of the virtuoso type noodle-y players don’t really impress me much.

Petrucci’s sweep picking sounds impressive, Van Halen’s everything were impressive, but Malmsteen and Eric Johnson type just sound fast for the sake of being fast.

Give me a Gilmour solo any day over that. You should be able to sing along with a solo…. Like any of Floyd’s or the famous Zeppelin or Skynyrd solos.

Bravo!!!!!! I have always said if you can't write the music your playing on a sheet of paper it's not really music. I know that's not a popular opinion but it's mine.......and I am sticking to it.