Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I play drums and guitar but my influences on drums are more modern/metal influence. Mike Portnoy is my all time favorite and to me there is no better drum section than his bit behind the solo on Constant Motion where he's playing different time signatures.

3:45->
    4:05 it kicks up
    4:40 it goes nuts starting with the ride
    the way he hits 6 cymbals at the same time at the fill at 5:53

fucking magical. Watching him play is as mesmerizing to me today as the first time.

Was a big Dream Theater fan back in the day. Glad he is back on board. Mangini may be technically better but Porto’s has more “vibe” to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Willbacker View Post
    Mike Portney with The Winery Dogs ripping it.

I like it, particularly the drums and bass. Overall, real good. If I had to be critical, I'd like to hear the lead vocals a key lower, just to see how it sounded. But yeah, a real talented group there. I'll poke around to hear more from them, cuz I like it. I like to be exposed to groups/music that I ordinarily would not see/hear. Lots of talent w/them, for sure.

Blog Entries

Dream Theater is probably the most prominent prog metal band of the 90s-00s. They are definitely worth checking out. Every musician in the group is phenomenal and legitimately could be considered among the best at their instrument in the world, only sort of negative is not everyone likes the vocals which you sort of mentioned there. Def the weakest part. If you are a drummer you will definitely appreciate the drums across their entire discography, Portnoy was out for a bit and Mike Mangini replace him as Jon mentioned, not as good to me but still top tier playing.

I play drums and guitar but my influences on drums are more modern/metal influence. Mike Portnoy is my all time favorite and to me there is no better drum section than his bit behind the solo on Constant Motion where he's playing different time signatures.

fucking magical. Watching him play is as mesmerizing to me today as the first time.

Portnoy is a MONster on drums. Love him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Was a big Dream Theater fan back in the day. Glad he is back on board. Mangini may be technically better but Porto’s has more “vibe” to me.

"Aura" as the kids say today, ha.

Since we are on the topic this another of my favorite drummers, that some/most of you probably/maybe don't know. Though he is rated pretty highly amongst current era drummers. He's very good but his style is EXTREMELY fill heavy to the point some people think it's excessive. Not a problem for me. As someone once said...he's what Lars Ulrich thinks he sounds like when he's playing those off time fills he's now famous for (don't get me wrong - I LOVE Lars - but like country rap, I can admit he's not very good at this point). As for Mastodon given what you guys have said you liked if you've never heard them you'll probably like them. Very spacey and proggy too.

my favorite track of his...you tell me the time signature here lol (the track fucks up near the end which causes him to fall off slightly but he picks right back up - this is the only version I could find of it showing him playing it - and besides, not like I could play it period lmao)

if you just watch one part, the fill at 2:43 - jesus fuck man

another one where he's singing while playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2OV5DNUKf8
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

My favorite historical/early drummers are Neil Peart and Roger Taylor. I was fortunate enough to see Queen with Lambert when they came through a few years back and had seats right next to the stage extension. Part of the show they have a kit out there and it was just feet from, I got to watch him play a few songs from just feet away. Just awesome. I'll see if I can find the video. Love RUSH but I never got to see them before Peart died. Would absolutely see them now if Geddy and Alex went out with a fill in but I think that time has passed lol
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Video of that Queen show I took, I'm not kidding with how close he was lol

oh by the way also got to see BRIAN FUCKING MAY that close too

back on twitter

Blog Entries

I've somehow managed to see almost all of my favorite musicians from up close including...

Randy Taylor/Brian May
    Willie Adler (Lamb of God, my absolute favorite guitarist)
    James/Kirk/Lars

Never seen Portnoy up close. I don't really have a favorite bassist...maybe Paul McCartney, maybe Geddy Lee, maybe Jason Newsted, seen none of them up close.

Seeing Willie Adler (directly freaking in front of me! also John Campbell on bass) from barricade. My biggest guitar influence by far from how I hold the guitar (note how flat he holds it...instead of the more typical angled approach) to the development of my pinky independence to what kind of riffs I "specialize" in.

Video of seeing Metallica from Snake Pit is on first page...

I'll stop now lmao
    Last edited by Bhcforlife; 05-25-2024 at 09:19 PM.
    back on twitter

Kid Rock was at the very first concert I ever went to. Summer Sanitarium July 4th 2000...based on what you say here, you'll like this, get this lineup, in order

System of a Down
    Powerman 5000 (lol)
    Kid Rock
    Korn
    Metallica

Hell of a first show. This was when Kid Rock was still a douchebag but he was an endearing douchebag who sang shitty rap metal. The coolest part? MTV was at the show and the entire Metallica set from that very night is on Youtube. I mean, I think it's pretty cool to have my first show preserved like this. There are some vids of Kid Rock and System and Korn as well although the quality is 2000s era standard def VHS lol.

I saw Metallica again 17 years later at M&T once again, with Volbeat and A7X, a show many of us here went to though unfortunately didn't have a meet up. We should have.
    Hey. Powerman 5000 is still good without music. Lol.

Still remember A7X saying they'd be back on their own tour at that show you mentioned and they seem to be avoiding dc/Baltimore like the plague since.

Daney Carey from Tool is also solid.

Portnoy is phenomenal on the Nightmare album by A7X as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

I'll have to check some of that stuff out because it's tough to imagine someone being technically better than Portnoy.

My favorite historical/early drummers are Neil Peart and Roger Taylor. I was fortunate enough to see Queen with Lambert when they came through a few years back and had seats right next to the stage extension. Part of the show they have a kit out there and it was just feet from, I got to watch him play a few songs from just feet away. Just awesome. I'll see if I can find the video. Love RUSH but I never got to see them before Peart died. Would absolutely see them now if Geddy and Alex went out with a fill in but I think that time has passed lol
    Peart was a legend.

Dude from INK blew me away a bit seeing them. The guy that tours with Pierce the Veil now is really good as well.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

10. Re: The Music Thread

“Something very different about it”: Nick Mason names his favorite Pink Floyd song to perform live.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nick-ma...-perform-live/

The Pink Floyd concert Nick Mason considered “one of our best”

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-pin...e-of-our-best/

Quote Originally Posted by Willbacker View Post
    Oh absolutely I'm sure she will but the old Fleetwood Mac before her with Peter Green had a more edgy style. Remember Judas Priest's Green Manalishi? A Peter Green original.

https://youtu.be/kTvKaLW5bu8
    I just discovered Peter Green! Picked up his 4-disc "Anthology" collection a few days ago. Discs 1 & 2 are dominated by early F-Mac and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.
    Some very good stuff. Several instrumentals, which is something I like.

He wrote "Black Magic Woman"! The famous version by Santana is a cover of a Fleetwood Mac original from two years before. (song 1 on disc 2)

He also had a famous guitar, which I find an interesting factoid:

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I just discovered Peter Green! Picked up his 4-disc "Anthology" collection a few days ago. Discs 1 & 2 are dominated by early F-Mac and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.
    Some very good stuff. Several instrumentals, which is something I like.

He wrote "Black Magic Woman"! The famous version by Santana is a cover of a Fleetwood Mac original from two years before. (song 1 on disc 2)

He also had a famous guitar, which I find an interesting factoid:
    That's cool Jim. The Greeny(guitar) is quite interesting that it ended up in the hands of Kirk Hammett in the long run after being with Gary Moore For the longest time. Also interesting was that Moore started in a band called Skid Row who I more know as a hair band in the 80's. Whem I have time now I'm going to have to look up Skid Row's history to see if there's a connection lol.

Edit: Well apparantly not. They formed in 1986 and it doesn't say at all if they acquired the rights to the name. Just threw me for a loop when I read the Greeny article.
    I don't know a lot but I know a little