Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Your Personal All-Time Starting Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I’m getting tripped up on centers and guards I just don’t know any of them
    We don't all know everything about every player we listed. Some of the guys I've listed, I've just watched documentaries about or read up on a lot and grew to like. Or heard about from Old-Timers like my father. After that, it's just a matter of putting them into a system. For example, I wanted a team that could play in any elements. So, although Marvin Harrison is one of my favorite WRs of all-time, He and Payton weren't the same in December and January, outdoors in the cold. Jim Brown is the obvious choice for RB, no matter what system. No matter what scheme. However, Jamal is my second favorite RB and he fits my scheme very well.

Try to think of it this way. What style of offense do you like and what style of defense do you like?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Ok here I go

So I really wanted to put guys that I'd actually seen on this list, but there are 2 on the list that I hadn't seen before today. My Center and Guard. But I saw you guys put them on your list so I looked up some NFL Films and even a little tape on them, and wow they were so good that it made doing this little experiment worth it just to learn about those guys! So cool! Anyway, every other player I either saw play while they were playing or they were just SO iconic (either to Baltimore or to the National audience) that I had seen enough highlights and tape on the players that I know their game well enough. Please accept this list from a Gen Z'er that has never seen guys like Night Train Lane play:

I wanted my offense to be one that has an incredibly durable offensive line to protect my pure pocket passer. I picked guys who rarely missed time, I'd say durability was the main factor. The skill positions were populated with the guys that I consider to be the biggest playmakers I've seen play. I just basically picked the guys who made me say wow enough times, and I considered their synergy.

QB: Peyton Manning
    OT: Jonathan Ogden
    OT: Joe Thomas
    G: Marshal Yanda
    G: John Hannah
    C: Jim Otto
    WR: Calvin Johnson
    WR: Jerry Rice
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald
    TE: Tony Gonzalez
    TE: Rob Gronkowski
    RB: Barry Sanders
    RB: LaDanian Tomlinson

On defense my biggest want is always turnovers, so I picked guys that I really think were ballhawks in the secondary. I picked some guys who knew how to apply pressure to hopefully force errant throws from a QB.

DE: Gino Marchetti
    DE: Reggie White
    DT: Warren Sapp
    LB: Dick Butkus
    LB: Ray Lewis
    LB: Lawrence Taylor
    LB: Derrick Brooks
    CB: Deion Sanders
    CB: Darelle Revis
    SCB: Ronde Barber
    FS: Ed Reed
    SS: Troy Polamalu

ST is easy, why mess up something that works like clockwork for us now? Plus my favorite RS to ever watch!

K: Justin Tucker
    P: Sam Koch
    LS: Morgan Cox
    RS: Josh Cribbs

Haven't really thought about coaches because to be honest I'm just not really super knowledgeable about a lot of those guys.
    Last edited by Shrubbs; 12-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.

My real one.. which is mostly going to be modern personnel of guys I've actually watched.

HC: Bill Belichick
    OC: Andy Reid
    DC: Wade Phillips

West Coast Offense

QB: Patrick Mahomes
    RB: Marshall Faulk
    FB: Mike Alstott
    WR: Randy Moss

LT: Jonathan Ogden
    LG: Larry Allen
    RG:: John Hannah
    RT: Anthony Muñoz

DT: John Randle
    DE: Bruce Smith

SS: Ronnie Lott
    CB: Charles Woodson

P: Shane Lechler

KR: Devin Hester
    PR: Devin Hester

Bill Belichick and Andy Reid with Mahomes would be insane..

Edit:

LB: LT
    LB: Derrick Thomas
    Last edited by Culex; 12-06-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Ok here I go

So I really wanted to put guys that I'd actually seen on this list, but there are 2 on the list that I hadn't seen before today. My Center and Guard. But I saw you guys put them on your list so I looked up some NFL Films and even a little tape on them, and wow they were so good that it made doing this little experiment worth it just to learn about those guys! So cool! Anyway, every other player I either saw play while they were playing or they were just SO iconic (either to Baltimore or to the National audience) that I had seen enough highlights and tape on the players that I know their game well enough. Please accept this list from a Gen Z'er that has never seen guys like Night Train Lane play:

I wanted my offense to be one that has an incredibly durable offensive line to protect my pure pocket passer. I picked guys who rarely missed time, I'd say durability was the main factor. The skill positions were populated with the guys that I consider to be the biggest playmakers I've seen play. I just basically picked the guys who made me say wow enough times, and I considered their synergy.

QB: Peyton Manning
    OT: Jonathan Ogden
    OT: Joe Thomas
    G: Marshal Yanda
    G: John Hannah
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald
    TE: Rob Gronkowski
    RB: Barry Sanders
    RB: LaDanian Tomlinson

On defense my biggest want is always turnovers, so I picked guys that I really think were ballhawks in the secondary. I picked some guys who knew how to apply pressure to hopefully force errant throws from a QB.

DE: Gino Marchetti
    DT: Haloti Ngata
    LB: Dick Butkus
    LB: Lawrence Taylor
    CB: Darelle Revis
    SCB: Ronde Barber
    SS: Troy Polamalu

ST is easy, why mess up something that works like clockwork for us now? Plus my favorite RS to ever watch!

P: Sam Koch
    RS: Josh Cribbs

Haven't really thought about coaches because to be honest I'm just not really super knowledgeable about a lot of those guys.
    Okay, well, if Peyton is your QB, you might as well run Peyton's offense. You have guys in Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald who could run very precise slants and ins, setting up the sluggo and stop and go. In the red zone, you have Johnson to throw it up to. Your interior line is strong as all hell. Peyton will have plenty of pocket to step up into. The only interest thing to see is if Thomas would perform as well at RT. Even still, you'd have him blocking Peyton's front side and you have two Backs who can make up for quite a few blocking issues. You might just want to have Tom Moore as your OC, because he's always been Peyton's mentor.

Defensively, since Lewis and Butkus are both MLBs in more of a 4-3 (Lewis also an ILB in a 3-4), you have to decide who moves outside.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm sticking with the best that I have personally watched and also trying to stay true to scheme (For instance no Andy Reid at OC ):

HC: Bill Belichick
    OC: Josh McDaniels (Earhardt-Perkins)
    DC: Wade Phillips (3-4 hybrid)

QB: Tom Brady
    RB: Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson
    SLWR: Larry Fitzgerald
    TE: Gronk
    LG: Alan Faneca
    C: Olin Kreutz
    RG: Steve Hutchinson
    RT: Walter Jones

DT: Aaron Donald
    DE: JJ Watt
    DE: Richard Seymour
    OLB: Julius Peppers
    OLB: Von Miller
    ILB: Ray Lewis
    ILB: Patrick Willis
    CB: Darrelle Revis
    CB: Champ Bailey
    CB: Ty Law
    SS: Brian Dawkins

P: Shane Lechler

KR/PR: Devin Hester
    Last edited by sflegend89; 12-06-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Okay, well, if Peyton is your QB, you might as well run Peyton's offense. You have guys in Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald who could run very precise slants and ins, setting up the sluggo and stop and go. In the red zone, you have Johnson to throw it up to. Your interior line is strong as all hell. Peyton will have plenty of pocket to step up into. The only interest thing to see is if Thomas would perform as well at RT. Even still, you'd have him blocking Peyton's front side and you have two Backs who can make up for quite a few blocking issues. You might just want to have Tom Moore as your OC, because he's always been Peyton's mentor.

Defensively, since Lewis and Butkus are both MLBs in more of a 4-3 (Lewis also an ILB in a 3-4), you have to decide who moves outside.
    Yeah I knew Thomas and Butkus would sort of be out of position, but I just like the players a lot. I think Butkus would be sort of a SAM where he’s more responsible for tackling rather than rushing the passer. IDK maybe I should ditch Ngata and put up another OLB and go to 3-4. Thomas was honestly I didn’t want to choose between him and JO they’re both so amazing. I’m going to change my team. Lose Ngata and pick another OLB.

West Coast Offense

This would just be flat out invincible..

Brooks is my easy choice I think

Blog Entries

If we're not allowed to name our own, the best roster I've seen so far is the one that RaveninWoodlawn put together. I feel like the roster he assembled, offensively, fits that Shanahan offense very, very well. Tomlinson and Payton were both, not only explosive, but scheme diverse. RaveninWoodlawn probably made life easier on Payton with this scheme. His offensive line is specifically set-up for the athleticism and technical ability to run the zone stretch. In the passing offense, Rice would probably have 10 catches a game, while Moss would have weekly Dallas Thanksgiving games. 3 Catches, 3 touchdowns. Joe Montana running that? Please. Even getting it to Moss. With the open looks Moss would get, how difficult would that be for him? Like Brady, it's not as if his arm was non-existent. That offense is built to have both 10-play drives and 2-play drives.

Defensively, he is going to have the #1 pass defense. They will lead the league in turnovers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    West Coast Offense

This would just be flat out invincible..
    Is Alstott a good pairing with Faulk? Is Calvin Johnson a good fit in the WCO? He was never a very precise WR. His routes never improved. What variation of the WCO are you going to run? Just asking. I love that Offensive Line.

If we're not allowed to name our own, the best roster I've seen so far is the one that RaveninWoodlawn put together. I feel like the roster he assembled, offensively, fits that Shanahan offense very, very well. Tomlinson and Payton were both, not only explosive, but scheme diverse. RaveninWoodlawn probably made life easier on Payton with this scheme. His offensive line is specifically set-up for the athleticism and technical ability to run the zone stretch. In the passing offense, Rice would probably have 10 catches a game, while Moss would have weekly Dallas Thanksgiving games. 3 Catches, 3 touchdowns. Joe Montana running that? Please. Even getting it to Moss. With the open looks Moss would get, how difficult would that be for him? Like Brady, it's not as if his arm was non-existent. That offense is built to have both 10-play drives and 2-play drives.

Defensively, he is going to have the #1 pass defense. They will lead the league in turnovers.
    If you're gonna have Moss though and your pick at QB, why not a guy that can heave it 80 yards?

If my guy is Montana I'm probably going with:

Rice, Fitzgerald, and Welker.

Is Alstott a good pairing with Faulk? Is Calvin Johnson a good fit in the WCO? He was never a very precise WR. His routes never improved. What variation of the WCO are you going to run? Just asking. I love that Offensive Line.
    Alstott was the ultimate swiss army knife. Run, catch, and block at an all pro level

Faulk could also run, catch and block. Having them both on the field at once you would really have no clue whos running the ball between him and faulk, whos staying in the backfield to block and whos gonna dip into an underneath route. It would be stupid good.

Megatrons rare combination of size and speed requires double coverage. I'd put him in the slot and have him bully people off the LOS while Moss runs deep. 3 guys essentially that require double coverage.

I would do a west coast offense with flex blocking scheme.