Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Holidays?

Re: Happy Holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Great responses guys.

I feel and think the same. How can wishing someone happiness be offensive? Lol. But like Jab and other said ...it’s usually the smallest group who are the loudest in today’s society. Sad.

Ironically I just had to attend “Ethics/Harassment/ PC “ class. According to our HR dept ....”avoid the subject. Only offer a same response after you’ve been addressed “. What the Hell?!! It’s a sad sad world we live in.

Anyway....Merry Holidays All!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with you on this one, WTF?!?

If you are only allowed to offer a same response after you've been addressed no one will wish anyone a Happy or Merry anything, lol.

Blog Entries

I don't celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzza, but I'd be fine if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzza. I'd wish them one back also. So, Merry Christmas is totally fine. You don't have to celebrate Christmas. Just be happy someone took the time to wish you a nice day whether you celebrate it or not.

The way I´ve understood it, this "War on Christmas"-thing (that we have to some extent here aswell), is only a political campaign started by the far right, trying to blow things out of proportion on purpose, to make it look like people actually get offended, yes?
    Atleast over here there are hordes of right wing trolls that try and dig up every little tiny local report about some small insignificant school somewhere denying someone to be a ginger bread man or allowing some little boy to be Saint Lucy, and then spread it around everywhere and make it look like there´s a war on christmas from the left and that soon we wont be allowed to even say "Merry Christmas" anymore and yada yada.
    When in reality, it´s a non issue everywhere to basically everyone, except on those right wing alt news sites and their effective sharing of it on twitter, facebook and instagram. Trying to create divison when there is none.
    Reading most replies on here, from left to right, makes me think that´s the case in the US too?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Shitter's full!

I say Merry Christmas. I've never encountered anyone who celebrates another holiday or no holiday who would be offended. If I know someone is Jewish I say Happy Hanukkah to them. If I were addressing a large group that I did not know affiliations, I would probably say Happy Holidays just to make sure all felt included. I also don't worry too much about it. If I wish you a Merry Christmas and you are offended by it, I probably don't care enough about you to be upset.

I say "Happy Holidays" since it covers all the winter holidays. Also, Christmas and New Years are close to each other anyway.

Blog Entries

Well, here's a comedian who was called in to HR for saying Merry Christmas.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/comed...erry-christmas

Quote Originally Posted by bossofataka View Post
    The way I´ve understood it, this "War on Christmas"-thing (that we have to some extent here aswell), is only a political campaign started by the far right, trying to blow things out of proportion on purpose, to make it look like people actually get offended, yes?
    Atleast over here there are hordes of right wing trolls that try and dig up every little tiny local report about some small insignificant school somewhere denying someone to be a ginger bread man or allowing some little boy to be Saint Lucy, and then spread it around everywhere and make it look like there´s a war on christmas from the left and that soon we wont be allowed to even say "Merry Christmas" anymore and yada yada.
    When in reality, it´s a non issue everywhere to basically everyone, except on those right wing alt news sites and their effective sharing of it on twitter, facebook and instagram. Trying to create divison when there is none.
    Reading most replies on here, from left to right, makes me think that´s the case in the US too?
    Correct. Most just say happy holidays and it's really not a big deal. The conservative right, mostly the evangelicals, are worried about a changing America. I don't think saying "Merry Christmas" really offends anyone, it just can appear ignorant when blindly said to an audience one doesn't know. It's just more polite and culturally attuned to say happy holidays. That being said, there are some who appear to feel emboldened though their ignorance and feel entitled to say Merry Christmas regardless of their audience. Their thinking is if someone is offended then that's their problem and they just need to get over it! This would be the right wing folks who still think Trump is heaven sent or something like that. Trump personifies the ignorant right wing Merry Christmas folks. He still says at his cult retreats that since he became president, "people are saying Merry Christmas again"! His crowd loves it and goes crazy. It's really not an issue for most people in the U.S. For the right wingers though, it can be a rally call.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelious View Post
    Correct. Most just say happy holidays and it's really not a big deal. The conservative right, mostly the evangelicals, are worried about a changing America. I don't think saying "Merry Christmas" really offends anyone, it just can appear ignorant when blindly said to an audience one doesn't know. It's just more polite and culturally attuned to say happy holidays. That being said, there are some who appear to feel emboldened though their ignorance and feel entitled to say Merry Christmas regardless of their audience. Their thinking is if someone is offended then that's their problem and they just need to get over it! This would be the right wing folks who still think Trump is heaven sent or something like that. Trump personifies the ignorant right wing Merry Christmas folks. He still says at his cult retreats that since he became president, "people are saying Merry Christmas again"! His crowd loves it and goes crazy. It's really not an issue for most people in the U.S. For the right wingers though, it can be a rally call.
    Merry Christmas Galen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelious View Post
    Eh. I'm not a huge trump fan, but I still feel alright saying merry Christmas. I don't shout it from the roof tops, but just because someone doesn't celebrate it doesn't mean I don't want them to enjoy it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The wife and I had dinner at Rosenfelds deli tonight while out Christmas shopping. Legendary Jewish Deli in OC,MD now has one in Rehobeth Beach ,De. Anyway. When we were finished our excellent meal the waitress offered a Happy Holidays and we responded the same. My guess is in a room of 30-40 ...we were prob the only not Hebrews there.

My point is while I celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays was/is the appropriate response/well wish here. Has zero to do with politics and everything to die with being a decent human.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    The wife and I had dinner at Rosenfelds deli tonight while out Christmas shopping. Legendary Jewish Deli in OC,MD now has one in Rehobeth Beach ,De. Anyway. When we were finished our excellent meal the waitress offered a Happy Holidays and we responded the same. My guess is in a room of 30-40 ...we were prob the only not Hebrews there.

My point is while I celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays was/is the appropriate response/well wish here. Has zero to do with politics and everything to die with being a decent human.

Saying one or the other or both is better than saying nothing at all. Tis the season. Being offended by a simple greeting or bye is sad and the person is just looking for something to offend them. Maybe they'd prefer F__ off.