Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If you had to give your own TED Talk.....

Man. I feel like I’ve got a ton of things I’d give a talk about. One would probably be how conventional wisdom is usually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Man. I feel like I’ve got a ton of things I’d give a talk about. One would probably be how conventional wisdom is usually wrong.
    Definitely something I'd listen to.

I absolutely love YouTube nights where I watch all kinds of crazy stuff. Like how the Salem witch trials most likely happened because everyone ate bad bread affected by ergotism

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

I run a debate group with other Dad's where we have guys from all walks of life, backgrounds, all sides of the political spectrum etc and we debate politics and current events.

Nobody insults one another. Trump supporters respect Dems. Liberals respect the Trump supporters. Claims that are made must be backed by verifiable sources.

Both sides talk to one another instead of this binary, echo chamber tribalism that seems to plague todays discourse.

So my TED talk would be about teaching people to disagree without being disagreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCityRaven View Post
    I run a debate group with other Dad's where we have guys from all walks of life, backgrounds, all sides of the political spectrum etc and we debate politics and current events.

Nobody insults one another. Trump supporters respect Dems. Liberals respect the Trump supporters. Claims that are made must be backed by verifiable sources.

Both sides talk to one another instead of this binary, echo chamber tribalism that seems to plague todays discourse.

So my TED talk would be about teaching people to disagree without being disagreeable.
    I never understood how people cant have discussions while disagreeing but still respecting each others opinion. I used to have after parties from the bar my friends and i would go to and the people i would bring over, we would get into these type of debates all the time and there were never issues. I'm not a religious person, but the only way i can learn more and grow on the subject is to discuss with someone who has a different view than me. My thing is, if you somehow changed my mind on a opinion i had that means i learned something and thats ok.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I never understood how people cant have discussions while disagreeing but still respecting each others opinion. I used to have after parties from the bar my friends and i would go to and the people i would bring over, we would get into these type of debates all the time and there were never issues. I'm not a religious person, but the only way i can learn more and grow on the subject is to discuss with someone who has a different view than me. My thing is, if you somehow changed my mind on a opinion i had that means i learned something and thats ok.
    Agreed 100% Yet my very first political post here was met with insults from two people. I should have known better but I guess hope got the best of me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCityRaven View Post
    Agreed 100% Yet my very first political post here was met with insults from two people. I should have known better but I guess hope got the best of me.
    To be fair, we've had posters defect to the Broncos forum and team after we traded Joe. We have some.....special people on here. Just keep being you my man

7. Re: If you had to give your own TED Talk.....

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Ted Talks is one of my favorite websites and I am on it all the time. You may like this one.

https://www.ted.com/talks/g_t_bynum_...ip_with_policy

To be fair, we've had posters defect to the Broncos forum and team after we traded Joe. We have some.....special people on here. Just keep being you my man
    No doubt there. Same to you, Devil Dog.

It's little simple things like that and I'd out not littering in there as well, cleaning up after yourself in social settings.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Oh my god. Just the common use of the words "Thank You". Returning your shopping cart to the stall. Cleaning up after yourself in a restaurant. Leaving things how you'd like to find them. Opening a door for someone.

Some advanced topics:
    Standing when a woman enters the room
    Pulling out her chair for her
    Saying please and thank you to people in the service industry

If EVERYONE practiced this more... we would ALL be happy.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

How about this: Clear the noise in Life: The guide to being a happier person.

We really have basic needs in life: Eat, Sleep, Self-preservation/maintenance.
    Then we have secondary needs: Comfort, Family, Healthy emotional relationships

You want to be a happier, healthier person? Write down everything in life you want, need, is important to you... Then tier them all with only 3 to a tier. See how low things rank that "bother you" or "make you upset" and set a plan to have an equivalent emotional response. If you end up with 40 tiers, then the top 4 tiers are things that require a level 10 response emotionally, which would be fight or flight. If it ranks in the bottom 4 tiers, then it requires a 1 in emotional response, which is indifference.

Keep that list in your office, home, or somewhere you feel triggered (not actually college kid triggered, but a setting where you find yourself getting really upset). You will be shocked by the things you let bother you that really don't even come in at a level 2 response. Anything below a level 5 really shouldn't be a worry you carry with you for longer than 1 hour. 5-7 is something you should focus on, put a plan in place to fix. 8-10 are your concerns... you live your life to respond to these at all times and make certain they are taken care of.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    How about this: Clear the noise in Life: The guide to being a happier person.

We really have basic needs in life: Eat, Sleep, Self-preservation/maintenance.
    Then we have secondary needs: Comfort, Family, Healthy emotional relationships

You want to be a happier, healthier person? Write down everything in life you want, need, is important to you... Then tier them all with only 3 to a tier. See how low things rank that "bother you" or "make you upset" and set a plan to have an equivalent emotional response. If you end up with 40 tiers, then the top 4 tiers are things that require a level 10 response emotionally, which would be fight or flight. If it ranks in the bottom 4 tiers, then it requires a 1 in emotional response, which is indifference.

Keep that list in your office, home, or somewhere you feel triggered (not actually college kid triggered, but a setting where you find yourself getting really upset). You will be shocked by the things you let bother you that really don't even come in at a level 2 response. Anything below a level 5 really shouldn't be a worry you carry with you for longer than 1 hour. 5-7 is something you should focus on, put a plan in place to fix. 8-10 are your concerns... you live your life to respond to these at all times and make certain they are taken care of.
    I feel like I could give a Ted talk on this...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Ted Talks is one of my favorite websites and I am on it all the time. You may like this one.

https://www.ted.com/talks/g_t_bynum_...ip_with_policy
    That was good.