Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MVP Race Thoughts

As we all know, the MVP is very much a counting stats game in addition to a popularity contest. My original gripe with Lamar’s chances were the lack of passing touchdowns, but he’s really put that one to bed. My concern now is the passing yards. It has been 3 weeks since he broke 200 yards, and he has done it now 3 times out of the past 9 games. If he has 3 more 150ish yards passing games, he likely won’t break 3200 passing yards for the year. In today’s pass first NFL, I’m not sure that’ll get it done, regardless of rushing totals.

In a league where 4500 yards is the new 4000 and 5000 yard seasons aren’t exceptionally rare, I think Lamar needs to put up closer to 4000 yards (something around 3700 plus rushing) or else he’ll be dismissed by the MVP voters. He deserves every bit of consideration, but I’m worried that the counting stats game is going to work against him at this rate.

Blog Entries

Re: MVP Race Thoughts

Total TDs
    Total Yards

Blog Entries

It's still Jackson's to lose. Nobody is going to care that he only threw for 169 yards if he also threw for 5 TDs. Possibly winning 12 straight regular season games (the majority if not all of which are because of your play) to close out the year is also kind of a factor.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Agreed, but I also think the optics of 3200 passing yards will be a tough sell for the stat counters. Not counting today, his past 8 games projected to a total of 2844 pass yards, 30 pass TD, with that same projection of 1478 rush yards and 12 rush TD. Put all that total into passing and that’ll absolutely do it, but I can see a lot of stat counters holding a lack of passing yards against him. Total yards and tds is a running back’s argument for rushing and receiving, and it’s truly unprecedented territory to have that argument with a quarterback. Just think it’ll be held against him.

I don't think the total passing yards are going to hurt his chances. He makes highlight plays every single game and like was already said, leads the league in passing and total TDs. His QB ratings have been good to great.

He IS the main reason the team is 11-2. I think the voters all see it and we long as he doesn't shit the bed in the next 3 games, he wins

I hope you guys are right. His stat profile is uncharted territory, and I’d really like to see him get it. Hopefully the voters don’t hold that against him.

Blog Entries

Cams MVP season was around 4500 total yard and 45 TD’s v 10 ints

Lamar should be ending up right around there, I think about 3200-3300 passing and 1200-1300 rushing. Currently sitting at 35 total tds, I think he’ll finish around 43. That should be plenty for the MVP. To me its more about what Wilson does down the stretch as to whether Lamar will get it.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you’re more hung up on it.

If he has the most total TDs and is near the top for total yards it’s a no brainer.

Who gives a f**k about MVP, I want a Superbowl!

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Sounds like you’re more hung up on it.

If he has the most total TDs and is near the top for total yards it’s a no brainer.
    Have we ever had a Raven in the MVP front runner, let alone someone in the discussion? Just worried it might be held against him, especially if Wilson gets to or over 4000. Just hope he wins.

Blog Entries

Ray should have been IF it were a real MVP award and not the best QB award.

IF Lamar puts up the numbers he’ll win it.

Lamar threw for 145 yards and 3 TD's today. He is more than his stats and his stats are very good.