Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14
  1. Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Working to answer a question (do NFL teams benefit from getting an extra day of rest before MNF or suffer from losing a day of rest after MNF). Not there yet, but I do have some information on the Ravens.

    Since 2008 (when Harbaugh took over), the Ravens have played 192 games (regular season and playoffs, 2019 currently excluded). They've won 114 of those (0.594), but to me, the real story is their performance when they get extra rest:
    • 1-0 with 15 days off (defeated the Saints on MNF after the Ravens' bye in 2014)
    • 10-2 after a normal bye (includes divisional round against Texans and SB against SF)
    • 7-3 after playing on TNF

    Add it all up and you get a combined record of 18-5 (0.783)! The Ravens are also 8-3 in season openers and 7-2 on TNF (helped by mostly playing those games at home). In all other games (6 to 8 days rest), the Ravens are a combined 81-68 (0.544).

    I should have numbers for the rest of the teams shortly to compare, but I can't imagine many teams are going to win ~80% of their games when they have extra time to prepare!

    DaysBetweenGames Games Wins Losses
    0 (season openers)
    11
    8
    3
    4
    9
    7
    2
    6
    22
    13
    9
    7
    111
    59
    52
    8
    16
    9
    7
    10
    10
    7
    3
    14
    12
    10
    2
    15
    1
    1
    0
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

    Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)





  2. #2

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Working to answer a question (do NFL teams benefit from getting an extra day of rest before MNF or suffer from losing a day of rest after MNF). Not there yet, but I do have some information on the Ravens.

    Since 2008 (when Harbaugh took over), the Ravens have played 192 games (regular season and playoffs, 2019 currently excluded). They've won 114 of those (0.594), but to me, the real story is their performance when they get extra rest:
    • 1-0 with 15 days off (defeated the Saints on MNF after the Ravens' bye in 2014)
    • 10-2 after a normal bye (includes divisional round against Texans and SB against SF)
    • 7-3 after playing on TNF

    Add it all up and you get a combined record of 18-5 (0.783)! The Ravens are also 8-3 in season openers and 7-2 on TNF (helped by mostly playing those games at home). In all other games (6 to 8 days rest), the Ravens are a combined 81-68 (0.544).

    I should have numbers for the rest of the teams shortly to compare, but I can't imagine many teams are going to win ~80% of their games when they have extra time to prepare!

    DaysBetweenGames Games Wins Losses
    0 (season openers)
    11
    8
    3
    4
    9
    7
    2
    6
    22
    13
    9
    7
    111
    59
    52
    8
    16
    9
    7
    10
    10
    7
    3
    14
    12
    10
    2
    15
    1
    1
    0
    To sum all of that up, Harbaugh has enjoyed a lot of success.





  3. #3

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    I'm surprised at how mediocre the record is on seven days of rest, the normal amount. Clearly, though, his teams have been money on abnormal rest periods.





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rochester, Minnesota (from Towson)
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    To sum all of that up, Harbaugh has enjoyed a lot of success.
    lol...





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    13,497

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Can't judge accurately without taking into account our opponents.

    I remember one of those TNF games being the browns where even perriman scored.





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    4,671
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Might be interesting to bang the W-L record against how many time zones away from home the visiting team is playing (& maybe factoring in night games or home games flexed to 4/4:30). Not axing ya too...
    Quantitative insultant to the Crow-Magnons of RSR since dogonlynose when.
    statistics, n. A mathematical discipline of investigation and analysis in which
    • error is normal,
    • deviation is standard, and
    • data is a 4-letter word
    (Loba's Licentious Lexicon)





  7. #7

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Damn OC. How bad do we want that bye week now?

    And btw... should we make it, we get a week off before the Super Bowl too.
    "Not bad for a running back."





  8. #8

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Damn OC. How bad do we want that bye week now?

    And btw... should we make it, we get a week off before the Super Bowl too.
    They're making it.





  9. #9

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Can't judge accurately without taking into account our opponents.

    I remember one of those TNF games being the browns where even perriman scored.
    TNF home vs away is a huge factor.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not bad for a running back."





  10. Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    To sum all of that up, Harbaugh has enjoyed a lot of success.
    I thought that went without saying. 1 losing season out of 12, 2 others at .500.

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Might be interesting to bang the W-L record against how many time zones away from home the visiting team is playing (& maybe factoring in night games or home games flexed to 4/4:30). Not axing ya too...
    Time zone is interesting, but not the first direction I'm going (if only because it's harder to do). Working to compare rest now:

    Net Days of Rest Games WinPer Games_Ravens WinPer_Ravens
    -8
    22
    0.550
    -
    -
    -7
    272
    0.470
    9
    0.670
    -6
    43
    0.260
    4
    0.250
    -4
    38
    0.500
    2
    0.500
    -3
    263
    0.500
    8
    0.750
    -2
    13
    0.380
    1
    1.000
    -1
    357
    0.490
    14
    0.360
    0
    3880
    0.500
    119
    0.590
    1
    357
    0.510
    16
    0.560
    2
    13
    0.620
    -
    -
    3
    263
    0.500
    9
    0.780
    4
    38
    0.500
    -
    -
    6
    43
    0.740
    1
    1.000
    7
    272
    0.530
    9
    0.780
    8
    22
    0.450
    -
    -
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

    Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)





  11. Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Can't judge accurately without taking into account our opponents.

    I remember one of those TNF games being the browns where even perriman scored.
    Account away: https://pastebin.com/UGKkSdsZ
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

    Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)





  12. #12

    Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

    Quality of opponent IMO is moot because both in the "rested" statistic and the "normal week" statistic, there's enough data that you're going to see a pretty diverse set of opponents each. In both we play some good, some bad, some average. So it's essentially a wash.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site