Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: Why is there like no talk about Harbaugh for Coach of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    this year it's going to either Kyle Shanahan, whose team went 4-12 last season, or Sean McDermott, whose team went 6-10 last season. Shanahan is the odds on favorite at this point
    Agree. Can't even be mad at it. They had the #2 overall pick this past draft; they could finish as the top seed in the NFC. That's extremely impressive.

I feel like there's an unusual number of "deserving" performances this year. K Shanny, McDermott, Harbs, Tomlin, Payton: they all have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    It's a meaningless award because of how much emphasis is put on single year win/loss improvement.
    Wouldn't call it "meaningless": but yeah, it's basically the Biggest Turnaround award. And that's fine: a worthy thing to acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Wouldn't call it "meaningless": but yeah, it's basically the Biggest Turnaround award. And that's fine: a worthy thing to acknowledge.
    When I say meaningless, I mean it is easily the worst award they hand out in terms of recognizing greatness. You literally have a better chance of winning it if you alternate 5-11 and 11-5 seasons than you do if you just routinely have 11-5 seasons. And the people who win CotY frequently go on to have mediocre seasons the following year. Some have abysmal seasons the year after. It's often the same coach who had the shitty year prior to winning CotY. A coach shouldn't get the award for going 12-4 if he was the coach the previous year when the team went 4-12. Shanahan went 6-10 two years ago with the 49ers. His team actually took a step back last year and went 4-12. But the people deciding the award conveniently ignore that he was responsible for a 10-22 record coming into 2019, and they'll give him the award now that his team is currently 11-2. But if he'd gone 9-7 or 10-6 the last two seasons, he'd have little chance of winning it this year. It's just stupid. and meaningless. it fails to recognize the great coaches almost every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    That’s really nitpicky though on my part. His roster wasn’t that good coming into the year at full health, and it’s been thoroughly depleted since then. This team should be 5-11 or 6-10 with average coaching. It’s really incredible what he’s accomplished.

Still think Harbaugh is the guy though. He’s definitely been the best coach in-game and he’s done a great job behind the scenes as well.
    I disagree entirely - the strength of the team was always the defense heading in to the year, and they traded for Minkah to make the team stronger. Defense is meeting expectations and keeping them in games.

Their offense is... fine... Conner was always a passable starter and JuJu showed immense promise. Their line regressed, Ben got hurt, but let’s not mix that with overcoming immense adversity. If we’re giving away the award to the coach whose done more with less - give it to Miami’s coach or Vrabel. They’ve done a hell of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Tomlin winning with

4th string qb

Missing best wr in league

Back up rbs

He ain’t gonna be 5-11 with excuses.
    Eh.

Here are the Steelers wins:

Bengals
    @Chargers
    Dolphins
    Indy (on a Vinatieri miss at the buzzer)
    Rams in Pitt
    @Bengals
    Browns in Pitt
    @Cards

They've not exactly been giant-killers.

Go Bills! Get them the fuck outta the playoff picture.

Blog Entries

The best coach in the league never wins coach of the league. This applies to all leagues btw

Harbs has been too good, for too long during his HC career to warrant CoY.

The only coach I've even seen mentioned is Tomlin because they are in the Wildcard spot currently with 3rd stringers on offense.

With that said, I don't go out looking for coach of the year articles. Just happened to see that one online somewhere and gave it a read a few weeks ago. It's just not being talked about on my circle ride of the Internet. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He's the coach of the decade. I like Tomlin. I respect him for what he does..... Belichick has gotten more out of Brady than people really understand. Brady is the de facto offensive coordinator..... Belichick has really just won with one quarterback that doesn't prove anything to me. Best coaches win with different personnel.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I can't think of a more deserving candidate than Harbs. From dead man walking to Da man walking. And winning. Also EDC for executive of the year.

Blog Entries

When i think back to the playoff game vs the Chargers last season and Harbaugh sticking with Lamar after a really dreadful first half and never wavering to put Flacco in. Thats a coaching decision that should not be overlooked. He should get COY based on that. He had Lamar's back and built trust and loyalty no doubt.
    On another note, i'm thinking about taking the Jets and 16.5 tonight. Thats a boat load of points!

Blog Entries

I still think Brian Flores should at least be in the discussion. He has that rag tag Dolphins team playing out of their minds

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I still think Brian Flores should at least be in the discussion. He has that rag tag Dolphins team playing out of their minds
    Wow, from Tanker of the year to COY. Remarkable!