Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Marcus Peters ... The Reluctant Tackler

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    In fact you denigrated me by calling me an ingrate for starting the defense getting gashed thread. Don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth when you just said everyone had a right to their opinion...so respect my right to post what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don't have a right to an opinion when it's a stupid one....

At least that's what my girlfriend tells me haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Why is this so divisive? Two weeks ago nearly everyone was head over heels about Peters and what an asset he is to the D.

Should we start a Hollywood disappears from games thread or a Mark Andrews drops balls thread or a Lamar didnt have a lot of passing yards yesterday so he sucked thread?

I guess I'm just not understanding the singling Peters out. But I'd be willing to bet that most of those shitting on him were those that shit on the trade weeks ago when it was made and were saying that he sucks yada yada and are seeing an opportunity to save face
    Believe it or not, some of us are actually OK with players who aren't perfect, sometimes drop balls, etc. but have a really hard time when we see a player who lets his team down because he just didn't try that hard.

Also, if you really want to know why threads like this become so acrimonious, try re-reading that last sentence you just wrote.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Why is this so divisive? Two weeks ago nearly everyone was head over heels about Peters and what an asset he is to the D.

Should we start a Hollywood disappears from games thread or a Mark Andrews drops balls thread or a Lamar didnt have a lot of passing yards yesterday so he sucked thread?

I guess I'm just not understanding the singling Peters out. But I'd be willing to bet that most of those shitting on him were those that shit on the trade weeks ago when it was made and were saying that he sucks yada yada and are seeing an opportunity to save face
    Yesterday wasn’t some one time thing, I’ve been watching Peters avoid contact since he got here. My first thought is this guy just doesn’t want to get hurt so close to payday. No big whoop, he gets picks and has been a total upgrade in the secondary. Even that TD Peters gave up yesterday, no big whoop he got rain in his eyes. I just hope he’s about trying to win a Super Bowl and willing to be physical if necessary to do it.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Marcus Peters ... The Reluctant Tackler

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    In fact you denigrated me by calling me an ingrate for starting the defense getting gashed thread. Don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth when you just said everyone had a right to their opinion...so respect my right to post what I want.
    2bynight, I never intended to insult or demean you in any way. If I did, my apologies to you. If you've read any of my posts over the years then you know that's not really my style... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Yesterday wasn’t some one time thing, I’ve been watching Peters avoid contact since he got here. My first thought is this guy just doesn’t want to get hurt so close to payday. No big whoop, he gets picks and has been a total upgrade in the secondary. Even that TD Peters gave up yesterday, no big whoop he got rain in his eyes. I just hope he’s about trying to win a Super Bowl and willing to be physical if necessary to do it.
    Harbaugh won't put up with lack of effort tackling, Wouldn't be surprised if they pull him from a drive or two if he appears to be dodging tackles again.

Looking ahead to next year, Carr might FINALLY be done, Jimmy (IMHO) will be playing for hoodie; we'll have Marlon, a slot CB coming back from serious injury and (?) I'd say we need to keep Peters, blemishes and all.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Looking ahead to next year, Carr might FINALLY be done, Jimmy (IMHO) will be playing for hoodie; we'll have Marlon, a slot CB coming back from serious injury and (?) I'd say we need to keep Peters, blemishes and all.
    Renting Peters for another year on the tag might be the best option. Peters would probably hate it I’m guessing. You’re right though even trusty old Carr is looking on his last legs.

Peters on the tag should certainly be a consideration, unless you get Jimmy Smith back on a very team friendly deal and have faith, Iman Marshall or Anthony Averrett can play in a pinch.

A corner's primary job is to play well in coverage. If he's a beast in coverage, I could care less about the occasional missed tackle. Not everyone can be Marlon Humphrey. What Peters provides is incredibly valuable, even with flaws in the tackling portion of his game. Some say Deion Sanders is the GOAT corner, and he was never much of a tackler. Peters isn't as good as Sanders, but he doesn't have to be in order to still be really good. So, with all of that said, I still hope they pay this dude, despite having a tough game against the second best team in all of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Yup. If he tackled like Humphrey on top of his ball hawking skills the Rams wouldn't have moves from him (or KC for that matter) and they would still have their two 1st round picks from the Ramsey trade.

If he tackled like Humphrey on top of his ball hawking skills he would have never made it to the Rams. He'd still be on the Chiefs with the highest CB contract in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    If he tackled like Humphrey on top of his ball hawking skills he would have never made it to the Rams. He'd still be on the Chiefs with the highest CB contract in football.
    Troof. Was about to comment on it until I remembered there were (allegedly) other reasons why he was traded. This might be completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Harbaugh won't put up with lack of effort tackling, Wouldn't be surprised if they pull him from a drive or two if he appears to be dodging tackles again.
    I am not sure I agree with this assessment. Harbaugh pulling him like that would have bratty consequences from somebody like Peters, IMHO. From my eye-test, he is not a solid football player, but is a very good CB. Knowing that he is deficient in the tackling (except when he plays the Rams - or maybe even the Chiefs), you have to adjust others to cover up that hole. There were people who complained about Ed Reed's high-risk plays because of what else you got from him - and has been mentioned before, other players took the blame for being burned because of Reed's gambles. But you make the most of the good and put up with the bad.

Peters appears to be the type of player who will do what he wants because he knows he is good. He does not appear to be one who takes criticism, and there could be bad results if you went as far as benching him/publicly insulting him.
    Captain Offense