Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Marcus Peters ... The Reluctant Tackler

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Peters might be a better fit here, than anywhere else he's been so far.
    But the question with the "business decision" reference is whether he is more focused on the money than on a "better fit".
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    But the question with the "business decision" reference is whether he is more focused on the money than on a "better fit".
    He wouldn’t be the first player to take the money to go play for an awful team, so in that regard I don’t think it’s fair to judge him. Most people in any profession would take the most money to do the same job. While he’s waiting for his opportunity to hit free agency if he doesn’t get tagged I just want to see him give full effort and not short change the Ravens. If he wants to go play for the Redskins or whoever on a mega deal after this that’s his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    He wouldn’t be the first player to take the money to go play for an awful team, so in that regard I don’t think it’s fair to judge him. Most people in any profession would take the most money to do the same job. While he’s waiting for his opportunity to hit free agency if he doesn’t get tagged I just want to see him give full effort and not short change the Ravens. If he wants to go play for the Redskins or whoever on a mega deal after this that’s his choice.
    I am not judging him. Everybody has to decide if the lure of money is the choice over the environment in which you spend a significant part of your life. Each person makes that call because they have to live their life in their own way. Jim's comment was that he may be a better fit here than where he was before based on his personality. I am merely adding that I am not sure Peters will include that factor in the decision and it may strictly be mercenary in nature.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I am merely adding that I am not sure Peters will include that factor in the decision and it may strictly be mercenary in nature.
    Yah. If a team throws an extra $7M per year at him or whatever, things like "personality fit" might not seem all that important -- a nice-to-have rather than a necessity.

If he was a good tackler he would cost more than a 5th and Kenny young

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    If he was a good tackler he would cost more than a 5th and Kenny young
    True. If it wasn't for much more than just bad tackling, he would cost more than a 5th and Kenny Young (if he would even be available at all).

Blog Entries

I'll admit that I'm biased against Peters. When I watched his college tape, you could see what you ended up seeing from him, with regard to coverage. However, I have a personal dislike for defenders who don't tackle. Plus, the guy can be a prick. He's done some charitable things and that's good, but a man can still be a prick. Heck, Derrick Mason built homes and he could be a prick too. He wore out his welcome with a man who was willing to draft Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill. It took a complete night of idiocy from Hunt for him to get the axe. With Berry dealing with various issues, there was a time when Peters was one of their best 2-3 defenders. He is the guy who, if he is who some posters are saying he is, you build your defense around. Yet, Andy Reid didn't want to do it. Then, he went to the Rams and became normal. His gambling was more exposed there, his poor tackling wasn't as tolerated, because he was getting burned more often. He is pretty much a scheme specific CB like Ramsey. Man Press, pressure defense is where you get the best of him. Ask him to be more disciplined, and you get much more of a good bad mix. Compared to someone like Humphrey, who can be trusted in press and off, man and zone, and tackles so well that defenses are more likely to run away from him.

The Deion comparison seems to fit, on the surface, if you post their numbers. If you look beyond that, Deion didn't get burned nearly as much. Down the line, he didn't even get challenged as much. If Sanders got challenged as much as Peters did, there would be no comparison in their interception numbers. Deion amassed his numbers...............while largely being avoided the vast majority of his career.

So, I can't deny that the guy has talent, but he's not someone who inexplicably bounced around. He's bounced around for reasons. I'm not paying Peters long-term. I'll pay Humphrey the moon.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I'm not paying Peters long-term. I'll pay Humphrey the moon.
    Seems likely DeCosta is going to try to pay them both. Ravens defensive philosophy seems built on having multiple excellent man-press corners. I don't think they traded Peters for him to be just a rental.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Seems likely DeCosta is going to try to pay them both. Ravens defensive philosophy seems built on having multiple excellent man-press corners. I don't think they traded Peters for him to be just a rental.
    Draft one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Draft one.
    Well (a) we will, obviously, because we always do; but (b) we won't pick high enough to get the kind of player who can fill the role like Peters does, and (c) we have other pressing needs. As you well know.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Reed had a degenerative neck issue at the back end of his career. Peters is in his mid 20’s and doesn’t like to tackle. Big difference.
    I am well aware but how does that sort of make a difference to how he can fit as a raven? All I am saying is we all loved Ed Reed even when he gambled (made less mistakes when doing so) and overlooked his lack of tackling.

Marcus Peters isn't near the player Ed Reed is but he can certainly play on the roster assuming a certain price.

Marcus peters saves the game. THIS THREAD IS TRASH