Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Defense Getting Gashed by Running

I am dismayed by our performance yesterday. I chalk it up to the rain, but I don't understand why it didn't seem to fuck with the 49ers at all, and it fucked with us MAJORLY. We are the best rushing offense in the NFL, and even if you subtracted every single yard that Lamar Jackson has this season, then we are still #2 and only slightly behind the 49ers. We should be right up there with the 49ers in running the ball. We also supposedly had a better run defense than they had (they came into the game I think 19th in run defense). And yet, our running backs combined for 3.5 yards per carry and no touchdowns against the 49ers! That's not good. Meanwhile their running backs just bowled all over us and ran it down our throats with great success.
    Why was their subpar run defense able to stop our best or perhaps second best in the league running backs, meanwhile our D wasn't able to stop their run at all? Again I think it was all about the rain, but I don't get why it didn't seem to negatively affect them while it negatively affected us so strongly, assuming that was the reason for all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    I am dismayed by our performance yesterday. I chalk it up to the rain, but I don't understand why it didn't seem to fuck with the 49ers at all, and it fucked with us MAJORLY. We are the best rushing offense in the NFL, and even if you subtracted every single yard that Lamar Jackson has this season, then we are still #2 and only slightly behind the 49ers. We should be right up there with the 49ers in running the ball. We also supposedly had a better run defense than they had (they came into the game I think 19th in run defense). And yet, our running backs combined for 3.5 yards per carry and no touchdowns against the 49ers! That's not good. Meanwhile their running backs just bowled all over us and ran it down our throats with great success.
    Why was their subpar run defense able to stop our best or perhaps second best in the league running backs, meanwhile our D wasn't able to stop their run at all? Again I think it was all about the rain, but I don't get why it didn't seem to negatively affect them while it negatively affected us so strongly, assuming that was the reason for all of it.
    Damn. I had to remind myself that we won after reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Damn. I had to remind myself that we won after reading this.
    It was a nailbiter. Yes, the win was awesome, I'm just saying, why did it seem that the weather fucked us up and made our running game look so inept while their was on fire (excluding Lamar, dude put us on his back and is the MVP, which is why we won that game!)? That's all.

Blog Entries

Lamar couldn't throw it well yesterday, I think they realized that and keyed in on the run especially in the second half. He even said after the game the rain was really impacting his ability to throw the ball accurately. Jimmy didn't really do much more, but seemed like he did enough to keep us loosened up a bit.

I really think a mountain is being made out of a molehill here. Like I said...lets wait and see if the Bills do the same thing. I'm guessing they won't, but if they do, then lets be concerned at that point. I'm not going to be "dismayed" by the first mediocre performance they've had defensively since September.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Chris Wormley has played very well this season, but has largely gone unnoticed. Kudos to Filmstudy for highlighting him.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    The Ravens have struggled with this outside zone running scheme for years. Don't you remember when Gary Kubiak's Texans used to gash the Ravens with the outside zone running game? Even when we had Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs, Ngata.

The Ravens defense held the number 2 NFL scoring offense 12 points under their season per game average. The 49ers were held 5.3 points under the average points per game for the NFL as a whole.

Just adding some perspective. "Gashed" may have to go in the over-reaction Monday bin.
    Last edited by RockvilleRaven; 12-02-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Chris Wormley has played very well this season, but has largely gone unnoticed. Kudos to Filmstudy for highlighting him.
    Harbs gave him a gameball

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Ravens held the 49ers to 119 yards in the 2nd half. Yes, there were too many Chunk plays, and when the OLB's couldn't set the edge, the ILB's were late to the party. The Ravens didn't play their best game, and they won.

10. Re: Defense Getting Gashed by Running

The edges were a first half concern, I thought the adjustment in the 2nd half stood out. To me the biggest issue yesterday was Peters. To me the 14 points were largely on him. On the 4th down, I just don't know what he was looking at or saw or doing? It was an easy play for a DB to make yet he did not make it. On the Moester TD run, all he has to do is come up and make the tackle. Just come up and make the tackle. Take his legs from under him but don't stay to his side and throw your arm out, he's surely running through that. It was a weak attempt by him in that regard.

Juice was killing us.
    Ferguson struggled.
    Thomas was indecisive on the long TD run, he had a chance to jump up early.

But they wanted to punch us in the mouth and they got knocked out. That's the way it goes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    The Ravens held the 49ers to 119 yards in the 2nd half. Yes, there were too many Chunk plays, and when the OLB's couldn't set the edge, the ILB's were late to the party. The Ravens didn't play their best game, and they won.
    That is by far the best part of the whole thing. They did not play their best game and it was against arguably the best team in the NFC(possibly the NFL) and yet - they WON.
    The 49ers held the #1 offense in the NFL in check, had a great game plan to gash the Ravens defense, benefited from a bs PI call for them and a missed legit PI call against them, forced Lamar's first lost fumble of the season and LOST.