Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Conference Organization Question

Wondering if anyone here has participated in or done it themselves?

I’m sure most know, but I’m in the cyber security profession - primarily in threat intelligence.

I’ve been to a lot of cyber espionage conferences and was at Cyber WarCon yesterday down in Crystal City, VA. Again, it was primarily CE focused - heavily on Russia and Iran.

Conferences are a lot of fun and gather a lot of smart people to discuss and share ideas. However, I’ve often felt that cybercrime is underrepresented at most of these conferences. So, why not start a cybercrime conference myself?

Im just not sure how to get started on that?

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Conference Organization Question

Hmm...not sure if this would help...but when I want to go to a conference that is very specific to a particular technology or methodology....

I first research to top tools that implement said technology. Then, if I'm lucky, I'll see if that company sponsors a user conference. If so, attend that user conference and you'll be around a bunch of technologist who care about the same things

For instance, I wanted to learn about new DevOps platforms. Research led me to Puppet, Chef, and Redhat OpenShift vendors. I attended all three user conferences.

This was better and more specific than going to a "general" conference where they talk about many things.

You can also search for existing or start your own Meetup.com group as a grassroots approach.

https://www.meetup.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I know there are a lot of cyber security conferences, is that not what you're looking for?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I know there are a lot of cyber security conferences, is that not what you're looking for?
    I go to a fair amount.

I go to Black Hat, DEFCON, Cyber WarCon, ShmooCon...

The bigger conferences like Black Hat or RSA are very vendor-driven. In other words “look at our cool shit...buy our shit...”

Then other conferences like CyberWarCon, etc are very cyber espionage focused. I was at a Cyber WarCon in Arlington, VA yesterday and it was a full day of researchers presenting on Russian and Iranian cyber espionage threats as well as disinformation campaigns.

Very few conferences these days that provide a venue for researchers to present on cybercrime related items.

I suppose BotCon, but that’s in France or Belgium, normally.

In the MD/DC/VA area, which is where most of the cyber threat intel talent is located, there really aren’t many opportunities to present on cybercrime research.

So, I’d really like to look at starting one.

CrimeCon, FinCon, or something...

Just a good venue for a day where we can have some researchers present their research on cybercrime topics, a keynote speaker, q&a sessions, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I go to a fair amount.

I go to Black Hat, DEFCON, Cyber WarCon, ShmooCon...

The bigger conferences like Black Hat or RSA are very vendor-driven. In other words “look at our cool shit...buy our shit...”

Then other conferences like CyberWarCon, etc are very cyber espionage focused. I was at a Cyber WarCon in Arlington, VA yesterday and it was a full day of researchers presenting on Russian and Iranian cyber espionage threats as well as disinformation campaigns.

Very few conferences these days that provide a venue for researchers to present on cybercrime related items.

I suppose BotCon, but that’s in France or Belgium, normally.

In the MD/DC/VA area, which is where most of the cyber threat intel talent is located, there really aren’t many opportunities to present on cybercrime research.

So, I’d really like to look at starting one.

CrimeCon, FinCon, or something...

Just a good venue for a day where we can have some researchers present their research on cybercrime topics, a keynote speaker, q&a sessions, etc.

I have no experience in this specifically, but I have some experience with conferences etc.

What I would do is start looking at the companies, or consultants or experts in this field and asking them if they'd be interested in speaking at or presenting etc. with what you're trying to do. Gauging the interest level from those folks would give you a starting point. Hard to flesh it out via text on a message board, but that's where I'd start.

Blog Entries

I have no experience in this specifically, but I have some experience with conferences etc.

What I would do is start looking at the companies, or consultants or experts in this field and asking them if they'd be interested in speaking at or presenting etc. with what you're trying to do. Gauging the interest level from those folks would give you a starting point. Hard to flesh it out via text on a message board, but that's where I'd start.
    OH, I forgot. I've got a friend of mine that may have some experience in this. I'll ask him.

7. Re: Conference Organization Question

I know it's not specifically what you're asking about, but you may find some helpful info on Ted Talks (www.ted.talks.com) I'm sure you're familiar w/it. I'm on that site a lot. Love it. I've done some consulting work w/a colleague whose done some talks on there in the past. Not in your field per se, but somewhat related. Maybe you could get some ideas or make some contacts (?) Here is one I ran across while doing a quick search.

https://www.ted.com/talks/misha_glen...cret_realities

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    Hmm...not sure if this would help...but when I want to go to a conference that is very specific to a particular technology or methodology....

I first research to top tools that implement said technology. Then, if I'm lucky, I'll see if that company sponsors a user conference. If so, attend that user conference and you'll be around a bunch of technologist who care about the same things

For instance, I wanted to learn about new DevOps platforms. Research led me to Puppet, Chef, and Redhat OpenShift vendors. I attended all three user conferences.

This was better and more specific than going to a "general" conference where they talk about many things.

You can also search for existing or start your own Meetup.com group as a grassroots approach.

https://www.meetup.com/

People use openshift?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    People use openshift?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    OpenShift is awesome. It's Redhat's implementation of Kubernetes.

At the end of the day, it's just some other vendors flavor of the same technogly. It just so happens my customers tend to be a Redhat shop, thus they buy Redhat products.

CI/CD has kept me pretty busy these last couple of years with these various products. It's been really fun trying to reprogram and educate government folks on how do repeatable builds and deployments. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Blog Entries

At the end of the day, it's just some other vendors flavor of the same technogly. It just so happens my customers tend to be a Redhat shop, thus they buy Redhat products.

CI/CD has kept me pretty busy these last couple of years with these various products. It's been really fun trying to reprogram and educate government folks on how do repeatable builds and deployments. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Do you/your customers buy Red Hat training? If so, lets talk!

Blog Entries

Ain’t that the troof

Do you/your customers buy Red Hat training? If so, lets talk!