Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jefferson: Addition by Subtraction

Clark is better, bigger, smarter, and more athletic. Peace out tony! 👋🏾👋🏾

Glad Chuck is figuring it out in this 3rd season or Wink is simply figuring out how to best utilize him. 3rd year guy drafted in the 6th round with the green dot. In addition to LJ's rise as a game changer didn't see that coming either. Chuck Clark is an example of the ravens wanting to put speed on the defensive side of the ball.

Blog Entries

Using a safety as the green dot has been a game changer for two years in a row now. The defense got on a roll last year too after Weddle took it over. I don't see how you ever go back to having a LB call the defense (of course, short of getting a Kuechley type of guy) as long as Wink is here. They have sooooo much more flexibility with it on a safety, I love how often they are subbing in 3 or 4 safeties on obvious passing situations. It's working.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Using a safety as the green dot has been a game changer for two years in a row now. The defense got on a roll last year too after Weddle took it over. I don't see how you ever go back to having a LB call the defense (of course, short of getting a Kuechley type of guy) as long as Wink is here. They have sooooo much more flexibility with it on a safety, I love how often they are subbing in 3 or 4 safeties on obvious passing situations. It's working.
    Given the Ravens are almost always in nickel or greater having a safety with the dot makes the most sense. I said a while ago that Clark was an upgrade over Jefferson and noted his bad angles during the Clowns game, etc. And I am not a film study guy, but you could see it on the broadcast replays, he didn't move through the traffic well and would get to the hole just as a guy like Chubb was through it.

As noted, Jefferson is a class act, but Clark has made a big difference in the defense.

Jefferson isn't a great player, but let's also acknowledge that Chuck Clark isn't only giving them league-average performance, he's significantly better. He's been exceptional so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    I was hoping we would release him instead of Weddle at the end of last season. Jefferson is WAY overrated. His injury definitely has something to do with the defense's turnaround. Clark has made a huge difference. I orginally wanted to keep Jimmy Smith next year and convert to safety. At this point keep Clark and release Smith at the end of the year
    Can you imagine et patrolling deep with weddle closer to the line?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Believe once mosley was back, he and weddle switched off on the green dot depending on opponent.

Hate piling on, I think Jefferson is a really good person and a leader for this team. He's done a lot locally and I like him a lot as a man. No doubt though that him going out...along with getting rid of Young and Peanut's playing time going down...coincided with the defense playing so much better.

I think he knows his time here will be coming to an end soon. Maybe he'll want to stay around and continue to be a coaching assistant/mentor for the players here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

80/20 rule. Great guy but he's going to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Can you imagine et patrolling deep with weddle closer to the line?

That has a nice sound to it but Thomas and Clark are sure making a nice safety tandem down there. For the cost better to keep Clark and let Weddle and Jefferson walk

I hope Clark gets an extension this offseason. Hitting this big on a late day 3 pick is so cool.

Good team guy and good community guy, but the team is immeasurably better with Clark on the field instead of him. I'll wish him all the best in the future, definitely don't see any way he's back here next year given the cap savings.
    This.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...