Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Marty wanted Lamar to switch to WR

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'd be interested to know the context since I can't listen to it at work and there are no quotes, transcripts, etc. Was it a "move Lamar to WR since he isn't good enough to play QB" or was it a "Since Joe is the starter, let's devise a few plays where Lamar goes out in WR routes to get the ball in his hands when we use the "Lamar Package."

If it was the latter, than I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was the former, that would be a different story.
    Ask, and ye shall receive:

• ML: “The thing I think that we don’t give enough credit for…and I was talking to somebody in the league about this this week…This Lamar Jackson phenomenon is remarkable, right? And there’s a thousand people that want credit for it, right? There’s a thousand people. But let me just say this for a fact: The guy that deserves ALL the credit for Lamar Jackson is Steve Bisciotti. HE deserves it all, because HE wanted to draft him. HE wanted to draft him. He was pushed into it, he kept asking the room…remember they kept saying we’re going to trade ba….”
    • AV: “This is the Ravens owner who wanted him?”
    • ML: “The Ravens owner wanted him. I mean he doesn’t get enough credit for it, he’s kinda laid in the background… And when they drafted him, right? ‘member this… the reality was, remember we were kidding about Russillo, about how he said ‘hey, you know, they wanted him so badly’? That was that narrative we got from Chris too, (mumbled)…his footwork, this is part 2, that was part A, part 2’s footwork, part A was that, you know, they had built their whole team around him, right? They built their whole team around him, my ass. They traded 17 different ways so they DIDN’T have to draft him, and then they finally got the last pick in the 1st round, and here’s what happened: The first time he comes in, Marty Mornhinweg, remember him? We’re building the team around him? Marty says to the coaches – this is fact – “when are we gonna move him to receiver?”
    • AV: “Ah, jee… That’s how little faith they had in this guy?”
    • MV: “That’s how little faith they had in him, and now he’s got a chance to be the MVP, and I think what, when I talk about culture all the time on this podcast, and I talk about teams that like one another. I think we see that with the Ravens, and I think you’re right. I think the players love this kid. He has unique qualities to let people fall for him, and they want to play better for him. And I, I don’t think they’ve gotten enough credit really defensively…” (etc...)

So here are my thoughts: I think we can start by saying that Michael Lombardi wasn't in the room when this conversation was supposed to have happened. So even if you trust Lombardi (I don't), this info is only as reliable as his source, and we don't know who that is.

But Lombardi isn't just bashing Marty, he seems to be claiming that NO ONE - not DeCosta, Harbaugh, nor anyone else in the entire Ravens organization - wanted Lamar, and that Bisciotti forced this decision on all of them, which seems highly dubious.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    So here are my thoughts: I think we can start by saying that Michael Lombardi wasn't in the room when this conversation was supposed to have happened. So even if you trust Lombardi (I don't), this info is only as reliable as his source, and we don't know who that is.

But Lombardi isn't just bashing Marty, he seems to be claiming that NO ONE - no DeCosta, Harbaugh, nor anyone else in the entire Ravens organization - wanted Lamar, and that Bisciotti forced this decision on all of them, which seems highly dubious.
    Great points.

I trust the piece by Dan Pompei about "the process" that wound up with us getting Lamar, much much more than this.

Also TL posted some stuff here about it, to the effect that DeCosta was not 100% sold on Lamar, but Ozzie was all-in.

The first time he comes in, Marty Mornhinweg, remember him? We’re building the team around him? Marty says to the coaches – this is fact – “when are we gonna move him to receiver?”
    • AV: “Ah, jee – That’s how little faith they had in this guy?”
    • MV: “That’s how little faith they had in him, and now he’s got a chance to be the MVP
    The other dumb thing about this – Lombardi says that the coaches weren't in on Lamar. Lombardi says that Marty M assumed they were going to switch Lamar to WR. Marty M was a very senior guy on the Ravens staff: he was the OC! Who said no to him? Harbs is all "He's a QUARTERBACK" ": and he's Marty M's boss. And Lamar isn't switched to WR, despite the OC's assumption. But none of the coaches had faith in Lamar.

Yeah, ok. As I said, I put more stock in the Athletic piece by Pompei.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 11-18-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'd be interested to know the context since I can't listen to it at work and there are no quotes, transcripts, etc. Was it a "move Lamar to WR since he isn't good enough to play QB" or was it a "Since Joe is the starter, let's devise a few plays where Lamar goes out in WR routes to get the ball in his hands when we use the "Lamar Package."

If it was the latter, than I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was the former, that would be a different story.
    As I recall last year - Lamar was used in various packages with Joe - including a couple of times at WR, don't recall much in the way of targets.

THIS was funny, though! As Lombardi is wrapping up about Lamar, he refers to the Cardinals QB as "the mayor of Munchkinland."

5. Re: Marty wanted Lamar to switch to WR

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    As I recall last year - Lamar was used in various packages with Joe - including a couple of times at WR, don't recall much in the way of targets.
    Targeted twice (Broncos, Steelers), and a notorious lack of target that made everyone mad (Joe ignored a wide-open Lamar to throw an incompletion in the EZ.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I was tickled pink when Marty was out.
    Funny semi-factoid: Mornhinweg can be read as a corruption of Morgenhinweg which in German sortakinda means "Going away tomorrow" or "On the road out of here in the A.M." Which seems to be what a lot of Ravens fans wanted. And they got it!
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    I want Lamar to play wide receiver too.

First we buy a 3D printer, then we make two of him...
    He already been made. His name is jerry jeudy

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    THIS was funny, though! As Lombardi is wrapping up about Lamar, he refers to the Cardinals QB as "the mayor of Munchkinland."

To me he looks like a little squirrel out there people talk about lamar (well mainly just ex) but he's legit Edelman small. He's a guy if he was our QB I'd be legit worried about getting injured much moreso then Lamar.

Really there is one guy his size that has made it in the NFL Wilson and Wilson doesn't really run.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    To me he looks like a little squirrel out there people talk about lamar (well mainly just ex) but he's legit Edelman small. He's a guy if he was our QB I'd be legit worried about getting injured much moreso then Lamar.

Really there is one guy his size that has made it in the NFL Wilson and Wilson doesn't really run.
    I agree I am worried about Murray getting injured as much if not more than Lamar. If he manages to stay healthy he will be good though.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

• ML: “The thing I think that we don’t give enough credit for…and I was talking to somebody in the league about this this week…This Lamar Jackson phenomenon is remarkable, right? And there’s a thousand people that want credit for it, right? There’s a thousand people. But let me just say this for a fact: The guy that deserves ALL the credit for Lamar Jackson is Steve Bisciotti. HE deserves it all, because HE wanted to draft him. HE wanted to draft him. He was pushed into it, he kept asking the room…remember they kept saying we’re going to trade ba….”
    • AV: “This is the Ravens owner who wanted him?”
    • ML: “The Ravens owner wanted him. I mean he doesn’t get enough credit for it, he’s kinda laid in the background… And when they drafted him, right? ‘member this… the reality was, remember we were kidding about Russillo, about how he said ‘hey, you know, they wanted him so badly’? That was that narrative we got from Chris too, (mumbled)…his footwork, this is part 2, that was part A, part 2’s footwork, part A was that, you know, they had built their whole team around him, right? They built their whole team around him, my ass. They traded 17 different ways so they DIDN’T have to draft him, and then they finally got the last pick in the 1st round, and here’s what happened: The first time he comes in, Marty Mornhinweg, remember him? We’re building the team around him? Marty says to the coaches – this is fact – “when are we gonna move him to receiver?”
    • AV: “Ah, jee… That’s how little faith they had in this guy?”
    • MV: “That’s how little faith they had in him, and now he’s got a chance to be the MVP, and I think what, when I talk about culture all the time on this podcast, and I talk about teams that like one another. I think we see that with the Ravens, and I think you’re right. I think the players love this kid. He has unique qualities to let people fall for him, and they want to play better for him. And I, I don’t think they’ve gotten enough credit really defensively…” (etc...)

But Lombardi isn't just bashing Marty, he seems to be claiming that NO ONE - not DeCosta, Harbaugh, nor anyone else in the entire Ravens organization - wanted Lamar, and that Bisciotti forced this decision on all of them, which seems highly dubious.
    Yeah that sounds like bullshit.

Ozzie told his first boss who gave him his first shot ever at this gig to go fly a kite when he tried to demand Ozzie draft someone (Art and Lawrence Philips)...Bisciotti isn't going there. I'm sure he wanted him and made his opinion known, but he isn't forcing a HOF GM to draft someone.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah that sounds like bullshit.

Ozzie told his first boss who gave him his first shot ever at this gig to go fly a kite when he tried to demand Ozzie draft someone (Art and Lawrence Philips) – Bisciotti isn't going there. I'm sure he wanted him and made his opinion known, but he isn't forcing a HOF GM to draft someone.
    Point.

Who did the 'redesign' of the Offense last year on the Bye week after Joe had his hip issues?