Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: It Cost Us a Shutout

I don’t care about shutouts. You don’t get double wins for one. RTP flags are the cost of hitting the qb. And Brady shows good qb do very bad when they get hit early and often. Hit a qb 10 times or sack him 7 and hit him 5 And he will be hearing footsteps all game long. DW did.

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Bowser hit Watson in the facemask. The helmet of a QB is always off limits.

Defensive players are permitted to put a hand on a receiver so long as they don't grab a fist full of Jersey or twist the player. Humphrey had a tackle (read: attempt to use the ground to dislodge the ball) secured as he made a great move to go around the receiver to make a play at the ball. I questioned it before the replay, but was even more convinced it was not PI after the review. The receiver's body never moved, and Humphrey was very clearly playing the ball.
    There were some questionable calls, but those two were good.
    I don't mean to get picky but he actually never touched his facemark or helmet. Bowser hit him in the left side/shoulder area just as Watson released it.

play is at 32:40...https://www.nbafullhd.com/103300-2/...may not have cost us a shutout since they could have converted the 4th and 15 but still a bogus call.

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    ravens lead the league in RTP penalties with 10...KC and the NYGs have 0
    That seems like an odd stat...but not one that I am particularly angry about. Especially if those hits come early and lead to happy feet later.

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    play is at 32:40...https://www.nbafullhd.com/103300-2/...may not have cost us a shutout since they could have converted the 4th and 15 but still a bogus call.
    Also, as someone pointed out earlier, that DPI that they missed earlier in the game would have likely resulted in a FG at minimum, more likely a TD. So I'd say it balanced out.

Defensive players are permitted to put a hand on a receiver so long as they don't grab a fist full of Jersey or twist the player. Humphrey had a tackle (read: attempt to use the ground to dislodge the ball) secured as he made a great move to go around the receiver to make a play at the ball. I questioned it before the replay, but was even more convinced it was not PI after the review. The receiver's body never moved, and Humphrey was very clearly playing the ball.

"Playing the ball" is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. By rule, even if you're attempting to make a play on the ball, you are never allowed to "Play through the back of an opponent" - Article 2(b). Nor are you allowed to "Extend an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass" - Article 2(b). Humphrey did both of these.
    He also put his left hand under Hopkin's left armpit and turned him as the ball arrived. It's PI.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...s-interference

https://twitter.com/Loughy_D/status/1196132265522278402
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

It Cost Us a Shutout

C-ville, I think you are confusing the Bowser call with the Brandon Williams call. Williams hit Watson in the face mask — HARD — and was correctly flagged for it. Seemed inadvertent; he was trying to swat the pass, was being blocked by a lineman, and that’s just where his arm came down. Not on purpose, but definitely the correct call.

The Bowser play he just wrapped him up, and took him to the ground right as he delivered the ball without landing on him. It was textbook, perfect, and an absolute bullshit call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

This PI was more technical than egregious. Was there contact? Yes. Did he change his direction? Maybe when the ball arrived or just slightly before hand. But that’s looking at it with super slow motion. And the receiver did not have the ball in his hands when there was contact or even afterwards. I think if the receiver miss the catch, the ball hit his hands, he would have gotten the flag. But the ball was a clear yard plus past his hands. So no call was made. You decide if it was a effort to let them play physical football, just early in the game or what is a normal flag happy crew missed a call.

Even if they scored a td I don’t see this game being different in outcome. The defense was going to apply heavy pressure, they had no problem stopping the run and DW struggles to make fast reads in the pocket. Plus it’s been a long time since LJ could not get going. He was too hyped the first quarter but once he started completing passes and moving the ball he moved it the rest of the game.

Fans do need to stop and think about the fact there were no punts by us yeaterday and only one the week before. Plus no turnover by us. If LJ gets the ball right now he is getting points, mostly TDS every drive.

Blog Entries

If it cost us the game, I'd be madder than a ...

Loss of a shutout doesn't bother me as long as we get the win... Bc

From what I remember seeing, Bowser had already initiated his tackle (lowered his body and started to lunge forward) before the ball was thrown. It would have been physically impossible for him to stop and it was a textbook perfect tackle. Nothing at all that should have been called. Williams definitely hit the facemask, and that's going to get called every time regardless of the circumstance, but even that looked like he was pushed/blocked from behind into Watson as he had his hands up to deflect the pass. Like I said, it's going to get called every time, but I'm not sure he could have realistically prevented it either.

IMO, I'd rather hit the QB as often as possible and if that means we get an occasional RTP call, well, it is what it is. If guys start worrying too much about that, they'll start pulling up too soon and giving the QB a chance to escape because we're tentative.

11. Re: It Cost Us a Shutout

If I'm guessing, the referee sees Watson's head move and thinks Bowser hit him in the helmet (he absolutely doesn't). Note his position; Watson's body blocks his view of where contact occurs.

Can't imagine what else is would be. He's not late, doesn't land on him.

Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    C-ville, I think you are confusing the Bowser call with the Brandon Williams call. Williams hit Watson in the face mask — HARD — and was correctly flagged for it. Seemed inadvertent; he was trying to swat the pass, was being blocked by a lineman, and that’s just where his arm came down. Not on purpose, but definitely the correct call.

The Bowser play he just wrapped him up, and took him to the ground right as he delivered the ball without landing on him. It was textbook, perfect, and an absolute bullshit call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You're absolutely right - I did have those plays confused.

Bowser still appears to come in just a hair late. Fortunately, the game was already over.