Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Disappointment with Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Well said.

I kept comparing my expectations to the output of Michael Gallup in his rookie year. Both were 3rd rounders, both were getting an opportunity (Hurns got hurt last year and he got a lot of PT).

Gallup's output was 33 catches for 507 yards and 2 TD.

Boykin through 8 games, when I did the "on pace for" article was on pace for 18 catches, 262 yards, 4 TD.

So yeah I felt pretty underwhelmed.
    But Gallup plays on the #1 passing offense in the league. The Ravens are #20, and their gameplan focuses much of their passing game on their TE. So to look at raw output like that is pretty misleading.

Hollywood is only on pace for 760 yards, and he's our #1 WR by a mile. In the context of this offense, Boykin is fine.
    "Chin up, chest out."

He needs to become a better route runner. That will come in time. He is an excellent blocker already and few wr like to block down field these days. He has bought into the need to block first and block well scheme. His block on Edwards td run made it a td instead of just a 20 yard run. Next year his number will be great.

Yes, Sunday he had those 2 deep left targets early Couldn't tell if he was overthrown or slow, but I'll take your eyes on it. Any way those 2 incompletions, seemed to shut him down for the day. Like others said, take a number and wait behind a lot of other guys.

Blog Entries

I thought Boykin was open for a TD on the post route.
    Lamar sailed it just a smidge.

Blog Entries

Route running doesn't matter when you're slow in changing direction especially when you're running at full speed while needing to think about route depth, spacing, and opponent's leverage technique. With the way the receivers are coached to run routes in this system I don't see him getting pass a certain level of the technical side of route running.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I don't get the comparisons. He's not dropping passes like Perriman.
    The fact he saw the field in his first year puts him above Perriman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Route running doesn't matter when you're slow in changing direction especially when you're running at full speed while needing to think about route depth, spacing, and opponent's leverage technique. With the way the receivers are coached to run routes in this system I don't see him getting pass a certain level of the technical side of route running.
    Are you talking about Boykin? Did you see how wide open he was in the play I posted?

Did you see him get open on the post route where Lamar sailed the throw?

There are a bunch of possible reasons why Boykin and the WRs as a whole don't have more "volume" stats. But when it comes to Boykin your description above doesn't jibe with Boykin this year nor as a college prospect.

Blog Entries

Cut him.

Blog Entries

I am not down on Boykin at all. He is a rookie 3rd round pick and is playing like one. He may very well develop into a fine WR in a couple of years. However, the Ravens may be in the position to make a Super Bowl run THIS year. They are going to need more production out of the #2 WR position than Boykin can provide at this point in his development if they want to win a Super Bowl.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am not down on Boykin at all. He is a rookie 3rd round pick and is playing like one. He may very well develop into a fine WR in a couple of years. However, the Ravens may be in the position to make a Super Bowl run THIS year. They are going to need more production out of the #2 WR position than Boykin can provide at this point in his development if they want to win a Super Bowl.

Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

He's not our second WR, Snead is. I'd probably put Boykin fourth of the depth chart.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock