Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Disappointment with Boykin

3rd round draft pick who looks like he's learning the game, I'd like to see more but I he's not Perriman.

Expectations are the mother of disappointment....

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    3rd round draft pick who looks like he's learning the game, I'd like to see more but I he's not Perriman.

Expectations are the mother of disappointment....
    Well said.

I kept comparing my expectations to the output of Michael Gallup in his rookie year. Both were 3rd rounders, both were getting an opportunity (Hurns got hurt last year and he got a lot of PT).

Gallup's output was 33 catches for 507 yards and 2 TD.

Boykin through 8 games, when I did the "on pace for" article was on pace for 18 catches, 262 yards, 4 TD.

So yeah I felt pretty underwhelmed.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

He’s blocking so well though

A victim of a fantastic pre-season more than anything else, since I don't recall anybody saying he was NFL ready when he was drafted. I still trust his upside, even if it takes a couple more years.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    You know what? I am a fan of the team, not the player. I don't care how so and so is doing as long as we are winning games.
    Yeah but then what they hell are we going to talk about all week!? lmao. I here you.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Not disappointed at all.
    Not one bit.

This is not a volume passing offense.
    It’s not even a passing offense.
    It’s a run first offense with TE focused passing. The WRs are a distant 3rd fiddle by design. And the WR passing game features Hollywood Brown by design. Hollywood plays off the LOS and gets moved around to exploit schemed match-ups....weak CBs sometimes even S and occasionally LBs. The first TD of the season got Brown matched up man to man vs S.

Miles showed his skillset during training camp, preseason games and scrimmages.....he didn’t suddenly lose his skillset.

Miles and the WRs are fine.

He's very raw at this point and there's little reason to use him when the team is winning this much.

His hands aren't good enough to be reliable like Hurst and his speed certainly isn't good enough to gain separation like Hollywood.

I'll give him credit for blocking his ass off though.

8. Re: Disappointment with Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Indeed, he does seem to be running a little slow(mentally) and I noticed he was out of position on a play where Ricard was waving him across the formation to get in the correct spot so he could motion. I think Boykin has the tangibles to put everything together. May just need an off-season to get everything in order upstairs so he can play faster. This is a complicated offense (Yanda said biggest playbook he’s been apart of)
    The Ravens have had trouble with formation when in pistol diamond (Lamar + 3 in the backfield) since Lamar's first start. They're finally getting it corrected pre-snap, but players are definitely confused. At least it's not like the play against ARZ ( where Lamar motioned Boykin into an illegal formation

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    In the first incompletion, he noticeably slowed up in his route. Otherwise, the ball would have hit him in stride for the TD. LJ is putting the ball in perfect spots, it's just amazing right now. I think he had a perfect passer rate again, after the first quarter.
    17/24 for 222 yards and 4 TDs overall, 1/6 for 12 yards in Q1, so 16/18 for 210 and 4 TDs after, which is 155.3 (just shy of perfect, YPA was 11.7, needs to be 12.5 for perfect).

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    I remember Cris Carter once saying it takes WRs three years to get up to speed in the NFL. he hasn't been great so far, but it's too early to worry about him being a bust. and as someone else mentioned, downfield blocking is actually hugely important in this offense. plus, the fact they went his way twice early tells me he at least showed them something in practice this week.
    Of his 16 targets, 6 look to me like they've been scripted. Twice they went to him at the start of H2 (ARZ, CLE). Both were at home, both had him lined up on the boundary to the left of the offense (and on the opponent's side). Twice he's gotten 2 targets on the 1st drive only to not receive another target (SEA, HOU).

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Snead has 0.64 yards per snap and Boykin has just 0.54. Snead also has more yards per target. So Boykin is doing a bit worse than Snead there. But then Boykin does have the same number of touchdowns as Snead in around half the snaps and half the targets? So... hmmm...
    They're definitely both contributing as blockers. Need to update the numbers, but through week 8 (Seattle game), here are the Ravens rushing numbers with each player on the field.
    Number Name Real Snaps Run Snaps Run Snap % YPC TD
    Boykin
    48%
    Snead
    46%

See similar stats for all 12 skill players (and for dropbacks) at this link (I'll try to update it tonight, will definitely by tomorrow night).

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Baltimore Receiving
    REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
    Mark Andrews 4 75 18.8 1 51 4
    Mark Ingram II 3 37 12.3 2 25 4
    Patrick Ricard 3 27 9.0 0 10 3
    Marquise Brown 2 23 11.5 0 17 4
    Nick Boyle 2 20 10.0 0 13 3
    Hayden Hurst 2 16 8.0 0 12 2
    Seth Roberts 1 15 15.0 1 15 1
    Willie Snead IV 2 13 6.5 0 10 3
    Justice Hill 1 9 9.0 0 9 1
    Miles Boykin 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
    TEAM 20 235 11.8 4 51 27
    Formatted:
    Name Targets Rec Yds AVG TD Long
    Mark Andrews
    Mark Ingram II
    Patrick Ricard
    Marquise Brown
    Nick Boyle
    Hayden Hurst
    Seth Roberts
    Willie Snead IV
    Justice Hill
    Miles Boykin
    -
    TEAM
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

This offense could be even more deadly next year. With Boykin having an extra year of development and Hollywood fully healed. That would make Lamar even more dangerous because he wouldn't have to be The Guy. He could just feed the ball to his playmakers.

This is why you don't work yourself up watching training camp practices and thinking it transfers to games that count.

Talk to me this time next season. Waaaaay early to judge.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

12. Re: Disappointment with Boykin

More disappointed in Jaleel Scott