Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Disappointment with Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Pretty disappointed with Boykin.

He looks like he's running in quicksand sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoCo757 View Post
    I know there was tremendous optimism and hope for Boykin, but it’s looking more and more like he simply doesn’t have the talent we’d hoped to see. He hasn’t been targeted since those 2 throws in the early 1st quarter, and hasn’t caught a pass since Seattle
    I expected to have seen more from Boykin in the passing game so far. At this rate he's going to finish with something like 25 targets and 200 to 250 yds. That's not a lot.

Yet I come to praise Miles, not to bury him.

First, it's not like he's having that little production in a high-WR-volume passing attack. His target share among WRs is not as low as those stats would suggest; and he has been doing something with his targets. This isn't anything like a Perriman situation.

Two, I thought his two targets today were not on the money, and not really catchable. But maybe he didn't run the routes well: I leave it to someone who actually knows something about WR play.

But the other interesting thing is, Boykin might actually be a tremendous fit here. Did you notice him at the end of Gus' big run? He was blocking his ass off, about a mile down the field. Boykin may have exactly the attitude we want (and frankly, need) from WRs in this offense. And I still believe in the talent.

WRs got ten targets today, which is a nice little development.

I dunno: I'm a little disappointed. But I'm not pessimistic yet. The uniqueness of this offense – the heavy target volume to TEs – the high rushing pctg – the focus Marquise pulls as the #1 pick: there's factors keeping Boykin's production down, "artificially".

Definitely would like to see him make a couple plays, pretty darn soon.

Re: Disappointment with Boykin

Indeed, he does seem to be running a little slow(mentally) and I noticed he was out of position on a play where Ricard was waving him across the formation to get in the correct spot so he could motion. I think Boykin has the tangibles to put everything together. May just need an off-season to get everything in order upstairs so he can play faster. This is a complicated offense (Yanda said biggest playbook he’s been apart of)

Also kudos to Seth Roberts with his first touchdown with the Ravens today. That dude like Boykin and Snead blocks his ass off. Great to see the blue collars get rewarded every now and then.

In this offense, Boykin is a borderline pro-bowler.

The pass distribution is any TE, Hollywood, RB, Snead, other WR. He's shown good routes, great blocking, and generally dependable hands. When we start sending receivers other than Hollywood deep, we'll probably see Boykin come into his on.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

For someone who is supposed to be so fast, he sure looks slow. I thought he would be a better Darren Waller. He is no better than Perriman so far.

Sent from my H1711z using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

In the first incompletion, he noticeably slowed up in his route. Otherwise, the ball would have hit him in stride for the TD. LJ is putting the ball in perfect spots, it's just amazing right now. I think he had a perfect passer rate again, after the first quarter.

He’s young give him time. Check back in this time next year.

I remember Cris Carter once saying it takes WRs three years to get up to speed in the NFL. he hasn't been great so far, but it's too early to worry about him being a bust. and as someone else mentioned, downfield blocking is actually hugely important in this offense. plus, the fact they went his way twice early tells me he at least showed them something in practice this week.

Boykin is the player I most hope uses the offseason to train in a way that is WR-specific.

Boykin's triangle numbers, his attitude, his intelligence, etc, all point to his being basically a perfect prospect.

If he can go and learn / reinforce the finer points of playing WR...the nuances of route running, setting up the opposing DB, etc., Boykin will be a monster.

Took until his final year at Notre Dame to put up numbers. I expect it to take a year or two to catch up to the NFL game as well (hopefully just one).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    For someone who is supposed to be so fast, he sure looks slow. I thought he would be a better Darren Waller. He is no better than Perriman so far.

Sent from my H1711z using Tapatalk
    His combine speed never showed up on tape and quite a few guys noted that. There was a small group of guys trying to pump up his combine numbers and blame his college QB for why he could be fast here. Yes, his QB with the Fighting Irish was not good. However, there’s more than pure speed that goes into that speed showing up on the field. He is a long strider. That helps him in the forty. It doesn’t help him as much on the field and it’s one of the reasons why he’s slow in and out of his routes.

For most WRs you can't give a fair evaluation until year three. That's the conventional wisdom. People forgot that Boykin was a 3rd round pick during the hype train, and he is showing that he shouldn't have been a 1st rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    I remember Cris Carter once saying it takes WRs three years to get up to speed in the NFL. he hasn't been great so far, but it's too early to worry about him being a bust. and as someone else mentioned, downfield blocking is actually hugely important in this offense. plus, the fact they went his way twice early tells me he at least showed them something in practice this week.
    Whoops - missed this post. Carter's not the only one that says that either.

Blog Entries

It’s rare for a rookie receiver to come in and look like Hollywood. I’m hoping Boykin just needs more time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boykin has been fine for a 3rd round rookie. Y'all's expectations are pretty damn high for a receiving target who is like #6 in the pecking order of targets.