Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Hayden Hurst's Hands

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Nah, I just think most underrate Boyle. I’d like someone to suggest a plater that’s is even in his stratosphere as far as what he does. Ricard is actually probably the next closest as far as a player that can move, move bodies, catch and run after the catch.
    Blocking TE’s are usually much less gifted athleticallyZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right. Boyle's great and key to our system. He would be harder to replace than Hurst. That doesn't make Hurst easily replaceable though. About half the league lack a competent all round tight end.

forget his hands...how about that hair?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    forget his hands...how about that hair?
    I'm jealous.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

You see what these 5th year options cost right? Many, even decent players aren’t getting them. It’s 2/3rds of a franchise tag, but you have to accept it 365 days in advance...

Hayden’s chances are almost 30(then)seem slim to my eyes... Maybe, if the intent is to let him walk and age after, get his 5 best years I suppose.

Andrews gets paid after 3 years would be my guess. Market setting contract, probably $15m/ur or more...

You have to decide in advance, but it's only guaranteed for injury. You can still back out for poor performance.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Hurst has been pretty solid and hopefully he gets his opportunity this year to shine more. Other than that our tight ends in general have been pretty good.Ravens tight end coach Bobby Engram seems to be doing a great job with them.Even Nick Boyle seems to be better as a receiver than in years past.
    The snap count for the 3 in the Texans game Boyle 55, Hurst 30, and Andrews 25. I was wondering why Andrews wasn't targeted more and its because he wasn't on the field. I wonder if he's a bit banged up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Agreed, and that only makes Hurst all the more marketable than Boyle when the unavoidable scenario of I can't pay them all arrives in 3 years time.
    With Andrews and Boyle on the team I'm with you. If I can get a high draft pick or a really good player I'd move him.

Blog Entries

Yeah totally disagree. I would hunk Hurst is a much easier to replace commodity than Boyle.

Its fine we disagree, I could see it going either way. IMO, Theres a lot less of a market for Blocking TE's in todays NFL than in the past, with less demand, that means more supply. I dont argue hes a very good one, but when closer to 30 were going to be looking at 80/20 a lot more. we made that call once, so its fine to assume well make it again. at the same time, we still drafted 2 TEs in the first 3 rounds, when we obviously felt a need to keep Boyle (we drafted Lamar with the intent of this offense and what hed need). in the meantime, how much better do Andrews and Hurst get at blocking? If they offer more in other areas and less of a dropoff in that area, thats going to go into their decision. Im not looking at this like their progression is over, and 3 years from now theyre all the same players. Im assuming that gap closes a lot more, since thats one of the main areas they can improve in.

hell they might let both walk and draft cheaper/younger versions over the next few years, completely negating this debate. 3 years is a long time in the NFL.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Its fine we disagree, I could see it going either way. IMO, Theres a lot less of a market for Blocking TE's in todays NFL than in the past, with less demand, that means more supply. I dont argue hes a very good one, but when closer to 30 were going to be looking at 80/20 a lot more. we made that call once, so its fine to assume well make it again. at the same time, we still drafted 2 TEs in the first 3 rounds, when we obviously felt a need to keep Boyle (we drafted Lamar with the intent of this offense and what hed need). in the meantime, how much better do Andrews and Hurst get at blocking? If they offer more in other areas and less of a dropoff in that area, thats going to go into their decision. Im not looking at this like their progression is over, and 3 years from now theyre all the same players. Im assuming that gap closes a lot more, since thats one of the main areas they can improve in.

hell they might let both walk and draft cheaper/younger versions over the next few years, completely negating this debate. 3 years is a long time in the NFL.
    Agree there is a lot less of a market for blocking TE’s, disagree that less demand equals more supply in this instance. I believe in this instance it actually means the exact opposite. Less demand equals less supply. The Big Blocking TE’s of days gone by put on 30-50 pounds and play LT.
    I also don’t think he is just Very Good. I think he is 1 of 1. The guy can stay online and take a DE on 1 v1, pull around the edge and connect with a CB, catch the ball at its high point 20+ yards down the field, catch a TE screen make someone miss, jump over someone else, and through the third.

I just think there is someone in Hurst’s ball park available most years in the draft, and a handful of them exist in today’s NFL. Starting with his own draft mate Dallas Goedert. He’s a closer comp to Hurst than I can think of for Boyle.

Blog Entries

Agree there is a lot less of a market for blocking TE’s, disagree that less demand equals more supply in this instance. I believe in this instance it actually means the exact opposite. Less demand equals less supply. The Big Blocking TE’s of days gone by put on 30-50 pounds and play LT.
    I also don’t think he is just Very Good. I think he is 1 of 1. The guy can stay online and take a DE on 1 v1, pull around the edge and connect with a CB, catch the ball at its high point 20+ yards down the field, catch a TE screen make someone miss, jump over someone else, and through the third.

I just think there is someone in Hurst’s ball park available most years in the draft, and a handful of them exist in today’s NFL. Starting with his own draft mate Dallas Goedert. He’s a closer comp to Hurst than I can think of for Boyle.

I dont think were thinking differently about where they went, but I dont look at that as lacking supply. The NFL still has a bunch of them around, whether on PS or looking for work. the college ranks whether they played TE or OL are producing athletic options as blockers.

keep in mind, boyle was not the monster blocker coming out that he is now. we took the raw goods and made him what he is. I dont see why we couldnt duplicate that. his athletic ability is not unusual for the position overall.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...yle?id=2552402
    -JAB

Blog Entries

That’s not the first time Hurst played more snaps than Andrews.

People don’t understand why some players are
    Drafted where they are. The bottom third teams of the draft rarely need a qb. Qb desperate teams usually take a qb much earlier. You can’t gamble so you trade up if needed and mortgage the future if need be. Top third of round one.

What teams late in the first round need are skill players like Wr, Cb or TE. So the Ravens traded back and still got their skill player, a TE Hurst, then waited. When LJ slipped down to Philly they traded back into the first round and hit the jackpot with LJ. They could have taken LJ first but most likely not gotten a chance at Hurst again because several teams down at the bottom of round one could use him. And if our three headed TE monster became a two headed TE group our offense would not be as good. That’s why hurst got picked first.

Stick a fork in him