Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Cool Re: What will it take to get people in the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Let me guess, you're 20 - 30 right? If so, wait 20 years, do 10 home games a year in those 20 years, starting at 8 am and ending after you go home, unload and clean up, finishing at 7 pm. It is fun, but it's A LOT of effort on this 52 year old body (that is actually in shape). My quads today feel like I did 8 max squat reps at the gym and my back is screaming.
    GKB - please re-read my post in context as a response to the Kronus post. Given he ended with a "Get off my lawn" comment and a smile - I boiled it down for him with a smile. (see below)

Thank you for assuming I'm so young!!! I've got you beat by a few years. I've had season tickets for the entire time. Upper deck. Been tailgating with the same crew for the past 10 years. I know exactly how much work it is, not only on game day, but in the prep for tailgating... As far as cost, we always eat and drink great and I would guess the cost is in the neighborhood of $10-$15 per person for 10-15 people. (Ribs, chili, egg rolls, chicken, Italian sausage, Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Guinness, Sagamore, Jameson have all been on the menu this year) You can't go out to dinner for that price!

We do it because it is sooooo much fun!!! I love going to Ravens games, tailgating, being with friends, yelling, screaming and stomping around in the stands. I guess I'm the exception, because watching the game at home on a 65 inch TV makes me crazy.

I suspect we are much more alike than not.

I posted, because Kronus reminded me of my wife. starts with - "Why do we have to leave so early?" Ends with - "THAT was so much fun." so I'm familiar with the routine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: What will it take to get people in the stadium?
    Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Former PSL owner here, went to the game today. I had forgotten how much it takes out of you. Leaving @ 9 AM, slogging through traffic, tailgating, sitting in the cold, walking back, slogging through traffic again and getting home at dinner time. Maybe I'm just getting old. It was fun, no doubt. Fan experience has definitely gotten better, but I've got a real nice home theater in my basement and don't have to listen to drunk idiots talking trash in the bathroom. Get off my lawn.

Let me translate:
    Whine
    Whine
    Whine
    Had a great time
    Whine.

Focus on the fun and come back again. :).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Pretty much, and I don't blame them. My interest in the Ravens have been renewed solely because of Lamar. But I will not spend a penny on tickets to the games because of the kneeling.
    Really? How utterly pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Really? How utterly pathetic.
    Kind of lame right? He won't spend the money but he'll spend the time. Thought time was money.

I think the Ravens are suffering from Flacco football. Once Ray Lewis retired the game was boring to the point where most everyone I know sold their PSL's. My wife and I keep going because we tailgate with an incredible group. With such boring football only those really invested in the Ravens would go and bringing new people in was hard. Why go to a boring game on the field when I can watch a boring game at home? The stadium enthusiasm has been lackluster because the play was lackluster.

That has not been the case this year. Lamar has injected a shot of youth and adrenaline into the stadium that I haven't seen in 7 years. The enthusiasm of the crowd is at an all time high. This is the experience you can't get at home. Being around 70,000 fans of the same thing you're a fan of on the edge of the seat because the next play has a legitimate chance of being the NFL highlight of the week!

First you have to win back the fans that left because it was too boring to be go, then you win new fans. Yes, young ones, they're in the stadium just look around. It will still take a few years but if this level of play continues the stadium experience will get a reputation for surpassing the home experience because you can't fit 70,000 rabid fans in your living room. Probably.

Blog Entries

Price is a good point. When I graduated back in 2009, it was right in the middle of a recession. That 2009 class, to the best of my knowledge, still holds the state record for unemployment. Shattered it at the time. Now, there are jobs to be had, but the money isn't to be had. The newer generations just aren't bringing in that type of bread, generally.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    A deep run in the playoffs will bring them all back next season
    No it won’t. This dropoff started in 2013, right after we made as deep a run as you can make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    Speaking of the Skins. We need to take over Fedex Field next year and pummel that team, if that's what you want to call them.
    I love going to away games, but I won’t set foot in that shithole of a stadium ever again.

"Chin up, chest out."

8. Re: What will it take to get people in the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    No it won’t. This dropoff started in 2013, right after we made as deep a run as you can make.

Have to agree w/that. As has been alluded to many times, I think that it's awful hard to compete w/staying home or going over a friends' place, kickin' back, chillin', taking it easy and watching the game on a huge tv w/friends, cooking out, etc. I get the whole stadium live experience. I've done it many times and still catch a game or two each season, but I really don't think they'll come back en masse. "Times, they are a changin'".....for better or worse. Sure, as the games become more meaningful, there'll always be a small surge in demand, but overall, I'd say things are different now. Throw in the ever-changing age/income demographics of the "average" fan and that accentuates it even more.

9. Re: What will it take to get people in the stadium?

I live in CT, though my mother lives in Maryland. Typically when I go to Ravens Home games i look to buy cheap as just the experience of going to the games is fun enough for me and the wife no matter where we sit but I refuse to let a game set me back 400-500 dollars. I actually enjoy the upper deck as I get to see more of the field and the fan base is more lively up there. 3 of the last 5 times I've went to the games however I buy my tickets from the scalpers that are across the street from the stadium. Theres usually a bunch of them out there selling tickets. I buy upper deck tickets for 40 -50 a ticket. The guy explained to me one time that his company he works for either gets comped or buys tickets for employees and him and his coworkers rather be at the bar watching the game getting drunk then be up top at the game so they dont mind scalping them before the game starts.

10. Re: What will it take to get people in the stadium?

I also just brought upper deck tickets for me and my wife for the 49ers game. And they were 85 face value with a 25$ online fee. So 200$ for upper deck seats is alot. I could have took the chance of going and buying from the scalpers outside the stadium but just wanted to get the tickets out the way for this big game next weekend.

Another issue potentially affecting attendance is the move away from paper tickets. I've attended 4 of the 5 home games this season. For the game I missed, a complication developed over the weekend. Normally, I'd contact friends and hand them the ticket. Now, have to go on-line and deal with a website I rarely use, or else give a friend my PSL card / lanyard thang, which um ain't happening. Seatmates and I noted that until the Patriots game, we couldn't even give tickets away.

Now that the team's Mojo is back, perhaps it will be easier to at least give tickets away. But still, have to do the electronic rigmorale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Another issue potentially affecting attendance is the move away from paper tickets. I've attended 4 of the 5 home games this season. For the game I missed, a complication developed over the weekend. Normally, I'd contact friends and hand them the ticket. Now, have to go on-line and deal with a website I rarely use, or else give a friend my PSL card / lanyard thang, which um ain't happening. Seatmates and I noted that until the Patriots game, we couldn't even give tickets away.

Now that the team's Mojo is back, perhaps it will be easier to at least give tickets away. But still, have to do the electronic rigmorale.
    I wound up demanding the ravens give me paper tickets for a set of my PSL's where I didn't receive lanyards. This happened after one game where they were having electronic ticket issues and I missed half of the first quarter trying to get into the stadium.

That being said electronic tickets are being used at more and more venues. If you want to go to something that you need a ticket for get used to electronic tickets. It cuts down on counterfeits, it cuts the venue on on a portion of secondary market ticket sales, and it's cheaper than having to issue tickets. In 5 years a a paper ticket will be "quaint".
    Posting Rate: One post per month Lurking Rate: Twelve times a day