Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Healthcare Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    5 hours in the ER to get treatment sadly doesnt sound that different from my experiences here, granted you had to go two places to do so.
    My last ER visit was 45 minutes start to finish and left with 8 staples placed into my scalp by a physicians assistant without ever talking to a Doctor. My insurance paid $110, I was billed the other $1800.... about half my annual deductible. Thank gosh for Obamacare, now middle class people pay for insurance that doesn’t cover anything... or they pay way too much to actually be insured, catch 22...

I’d much rather just pay cash for my own care, would be dramatically cheaper, on the order of 10-20 fold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    My last ER visit was 45 minutes start to finish and left with 8 staples placed into my scalp by a physicians assistant without ever talking to a Doctor. My insurance paid $110, I was billed the other $1800.... about half my annual deductible. Thank gosh for Obamacare, now middle class people pay for insurance that doesn’t cover anything... or they pay way too much to actually be insured, catch 22...

I’d much rather just pay cash for my own care, would be dramatically cheaper, on the order of 10-20 fold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The healtcare system in this country could be fixed overnight with a few simple moves. No one is interested in that though, much better politically to blame the other side so you can get reelected.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The healtcare system in this country could be fixed overnight with a few simple moves. No one is interested in that though, much better politically to blame the other side so you can get reelected.
    I dont know if I'd say simple since many of the issues revolve around fiscal issues but yes, it is something that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    My own personal knowledge from visits and living in Scotland
    Well, you´re still wrong, a lot of countries here have better teeth than the US so.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCityRaven View Post
    Well, its a temporary assignment so there's an expiration date. I am constantly putting to the test the things I've been told are wonderful here. I cannot say this is any better than US healthcare, just a different process basically.
    Ah, okay. Where do you live there? And how do you find it in general so far?

Quote Originally Posted by bossofataka View Post
    Ah, okay. Where do you live there? And how do you find it in general so far?
    Overall, we’ve enjoyed it. We live in Wassenaar, just northeast of The Hague.

Still adjusting, obviously, but overall it’s been a net positive. Kids live the school and I’ve been free to explore.

It’s disconcerting having to register everything I do but I just remind myself that it’s temporary.

Overall, we’ve enjoyed it. We live in Wassenaar, just northeast of The Hague.

Still adjusting, obviously, but overall it’s been a net positive. Kids live the school and I’ve been free to explore.

It’s disconcerting having to register everything I do but I just remind myself that it’s temporary.
    Ah. Always found Netherlands a bit too crowded for my taste, but the people are generally nice, and speak very good english, and some of the cities and the canals in summertime are quite something. And make sure to pay a visit to Rijksmusem in case you haven´t yet. :)

That´s just because you´re new I assume? Like, if me or a dutch moved to US they´d presumably also have to register everything in the beginning.

Ah. Always found Netherlands a bit too crowded for my taste, but the people are generally nice, and speak very good english, and some of the cities and the canals in summertime are quite something. And make sure to pay a visit to Rijksmusem in case you haven´t yet. :)

That´s just because you´re new I assume? Like, if me or a dutch moved to US they´d presumably also have to register everything in the beginning.
    No. There's not nearly as much red tape in the states. I had to register my presence with the municipality within 10 days of getting here and that included fingerprinting, eye scan and picture. Once I had my Dutch ID, I was then allowed to apply for things like a drivers license. Coming and going is harder here as there's passport control when you leave and when you come back.

It was a bit disconcerting when we took a trip to London and has to explain to a border guard why we were leaving the country.

No. There's not nearly as much red tape in the states. I had to register my presence with the municipality within 10 days of getting here and that included fingerprinting, eye scan and picture. Once I had my Dutch ID, I was then allowed to apply for things like a drivers license. Coming and going is harder here as there's passport control when you leave and when you come back.

It was a bit disconcerting when we took a trip to London and has to explain to a border guard why we were leaving the country.
    Seriously? Finger printing and eye scan? Sounds like 1984. I´m as a european has no issues like that of course. But I can say that to a european, it feels about the same going to the US. Can be hell of a struggle. Have a friend who even had to cancel his trip a few years ago because he had speeding tickets here and US wouldn´t allow him in. Another friend, he´s american but his wife british, had to move to Vancouver after living here instead of Seattle as intended, as US wouldn´t allow her in withou a bible of registration forms etc. They´re still stuck in Vancouver btw, for over a year now. :D

Really??? Never heard such a thing. And I do know several americans that travel to London almost monthly... Do you do some sort of secretive work or something?

Seriously? Finger printing and eye scan? Sounds like 1984. I´m as a european has no issues like that of course. But I can say that to a european, it feels about the same going to the US. Can be hell of a struggle. Have a friend who even had to cancel his trip a few years ago because he had speeding tickets here and US wouldn´t allow him in. Another friend, he´s american but his wife british, had to move to Vancouver after living here instead of Seattle as intended, as US wouldn´t allow her in withou a bible of registration forms etc. They´re still stuck in Vancouver btw, for over a year now. :D

Really??? Never heard such a thing. And I do know several americans that travel to London almost monthly... Do you do some sort of secretive work or something?
    Im the trailing spouse. We are here for my wife's work and legally, I cannot work. It seems to be something unique to NL where they have passport control coming and going. I've been to Italy, Germany, London, Ireland and France and was never once questioned when we were leaving. Heck, not even in Russia did they ask us anything when we left.

I dont know if I'd say simple since many of the issues revolve around fiscal issues but yes, it is something that can be done.
    It's actually incredibly simple. Hospital systems must be required to show costs for treatment publicly. Tort reform must limit malpractice suits to be more easily tossed. We spend billions in this country on frivolous claims. The average doctor's lawsuit liability insurance is 6-figures a year. If people KNOW how much treatment costs, and if lawsuit liability is reduced... poof. That takes care of about 40% from the Hospital side of costs.

Insurance and Pharma are linked, and both would be saved with other simple moves. Stop allowing mergers, break up the top 3, reduce the barriers of entry for new insurance companies by reducing reserve requirements, and allow selling across state lines. It is literally the ONLY thing the Fed needs to do is suppress the states from being able to require ridiculous costs/state to operate. Whether that be operational or just extortion like you see in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, California, and New York. The Health Insurance Market in these states sucks because they have about 1-2 options for insurance. There is no reason to reduce costs because there is no competition. They are like the Energy Companies.

As for pharma... don't price regulate... that would be, literally, the WORST move, and would push availability to nil, and prices would only dip temporarily and then would skyrocket. Remove FDA regulations, and allow for international purchase. Are we REALLY saying that Canada and the UE aren't verifying their drugs? That's absurd. Of course they are. Allow a medical treaty where the approvals for new meds from other countries have reciprocity here in the US. Make pharmaceutical patents 1 year with no renewal. Generics will flood the market within 1 year of any breakthrough drugs. Also, make purchase incentives illegal for doctors... that is such a shady practice anyhow... that is how Teamsters operate.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Im the trailing spouse. We are here for my wife's work and legally, I cannot work. It seems to be something unique to NL where they have passport control coming and going. I've been to Italy, Germany, London, Ireland and France and was never once questioned when we were leaving. Heck, not even in Russia did they ask us anything when we left.
    Aha. Never heard of this to be honest, and I don´t like it. Also seems pointless asking you, I mean if you were up to no good are you likely to tell them anyway..? Silly and annoying. Like these forms you have to sign before going to the US: "Are you a memeber of any terrorist organisation?" etc. Who tf is gonna say yes even if....