Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Antonio Callaway Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Fair enough...I just disagree that it's even worth it.
    I will say that while anyone should be given a second chance. Everyone is not entitled to a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Understood. But look at Darren Waller and how well he's doing? But I get your point.
    Waller couldn't keep his nose clean in Baltimore, what makes you think this guy can? Waller actually said getting away from this town was the best thing to happen regarding his drug use.

Blog Entries

Fair enough (to Ish)...I just disagree that it's even worth it.
    Rygar, for all the reasons you've already stated, I agree. There are many players with talent, but the baggage they bring to at team just isn't worth it. Callaway is one such player... Bc

I will say that while anyone should be given a second chance. Everyone is not entitled to a second chance.
    Also just because you think someone should get a 2nd chance doesn't mean you have to be the one to give it.

I'm fine with Callaway playing again in the NFL but I don't want the Ravens to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Also just because you think someone should get a 2nd chance doesn't mean you have to be the one to give it.

I'm fine with Callaway playing again in the NFL but I don't want the Ravens to sign him.
    I would add that you don't get to a 10 game suspension or in Waller's case a year, without burning through second and third and possibly 4th chances. Going to a new team doesn't reset your "chance bucket". Wasn't Calloway the guy that Hue Jackson either benched or tried to make an example of but got lambasted because the guy had talent? There's always more going on behind the scenes than fans will ever be even remotely aware of. I hate the takes when folks just say "he's talented, put him on the field!". I know we can get caught up in our own thirst for winning and entertainment, but these are real people with sometimes real issues that supersede giving us something to cheer for on Sundays.

I would add that you don't get to a 10 game suspension or in Waller's case a year, without burning through second and third and possibly 4th chances. Going to a new team doesn't reset your "chance bucket". Wasn't Calloway the guy that Hue Jackson either benched or tried to make an example of but got lambasted because the guy had talent? There's always more going on behind the scenes than fans will ever be even remotely aware of. I hate the takes when folks just say "he's talented, put him on the field!". I know we can get caught up in our own thirst for winning and entertainment, but these are real people with sometimes real issues that supersede giving us something to cheer for on Sundays.
    That is just his NFL transgressions. His draft stock dropped like a rock because he was suspended for the year for unspecified reasons by the team and his criminal record includes a sexual assault allegation (of which he was eventually cleared), a misdemeanor marijuana citation and involvement in a credit-card scam that resulted in a pair of third-degree felony charges.

He also smoked marijuana right before the combine and gave a diluted sample. I am all for giving someone a chance and trying to help to turn someone's life around but to me Callaway seems like a lost cause I mean he was cut by the browns and you know what kind of standards they have.
    Last edited by boller4president; 11-15-2019 at 09:59 PM.

He has been this way since he was at Florida. He's not changing.

It wouldn't be his second chance it would be like his 5th chance if you've followed him at all since his Florida days.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Waller couldn't keep his nose clean in Baltimore, what makes you think this guy can? Waller actually said getting away from this town was the best thing to happen regarding his drug use.
    Ummm. Waller couldn’t stop smoking weed right? Certainly none of that is easily accessible in Northern California....hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Dropsalotaylor View Post
    Ummm. Waller couldn’t stop smoking weed right? Certainly none of that is easily accessible in Northern California....hahahahahaha
    Ummm...nope. He was hooked on cocaine, xanax, oxycontin and was even taking stuff he believed was laced with fentanyl.

HELLNO!

20 million dollar talent, 10 cent brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Ummm...nope. He was hooked on cocaine, xanax, oxycontin and was even taking stuff he believed was laced with fentanyl.
    Yeah, not sure how folks have this idealized version of what was going on with Waller. And the Ravens clearly saw he had talent because they gave him chance after chance after chance. The Raiders took another chance and he seems to finally be on track. But there seems to be a small minority of folks out there that keep trying to tie Waller to some weird ass narrative about Harbs and boy scouts or the coaching staff not knowing what to do with talent. WALLER COULD NOT STOP GETTING HIGH AND FAILING TESTS WHILE HE WAS ON THE RAVENS.

From the SI article:

"On Hard Knocks, Waller opened up about how he had been sober for two years, after facing a wake-up call to his drug addiction when he was suspended twice by the NFL for violating the substance abuse policy—first for the first four games of the 2016 season and then for the entire ’17 NFL season.

The 6' 6" tight end was drafted in the sixth round out of Georgia Tech by the Ravens in 2015. He had tantalizing speed and size, but struggled with substance abuse off the field. Waller told the Hard Knocks cameras that during the 2016 training camp with the Ravens, “I was just like a vegetable—I was getting high like literally every day.”

He said he used substances like opiates, Xanax and cocaine and was, “plotting to sabotage my way out of the league so I didn’t look like a quitter.”

A few months after Waller was handed his year-long ban, he had a scary experience after taking pills, and decided to finally quit drugs once and for all. According to The Athletic, Waller spent a month at a rehab center in Maine, undergoing therapy and attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings. He worked at a grocery store during his time away from the league. Waller applied for reinstatement after his suspension ended in 2018, and the Ravens kept him on their practice squad until the Raiders came calling and signed him off the Baltimore practice squad in November 2018"