Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Our Keys to Victory Against the Texans

The more I analyze the Texans, the more I see our toughest matchup since Kansas City. I think they matchup well with us even moreso than Seattle or New England. The question is will Will Fuller V play? He's been injured since Week 7 but he's been limited in practice this week. They may even just have him in to use him as a decoy to open things up for Hopkins.

TEXANS D: We'll be able to move the ball against them. This Texans D let Gardner Minshew throw over 300 yards (problem is he also threw 2 INTs and no TDs...so Houston destroyed them). Derek Carr also had a big game against them a few weeks ago and almost threw 300 yards and had a couple TDs. The Texans D hasn't played anyone with Lamar's skillset, the one thing they have is an extra week to prepare for him.

TEXANS O: As I describe below, Deshaun Watson is going to need to have a career game against us. The Texans biggest win this year came against the Chiefs Week 6. They held Mahomes to 24 points. But they've only scored 30 or more points 2 times this year out of 9 games. The Ravens have scored 30 or more points 4 times...twice as many times as Houston has. Most importantly, we've scored 30 or more points in 3 of our last 4 games! We've haven't just been beating teams, we've been destroying them over the past month. The question is...can Houston keep up with US!?! I know the bias is to look at the elite pocket passer as the bigger threat, but really, the Ravens are the hot team playing at home. Some say we're the #1 team in the NFL.

This will be a close game and we've got to expect the Texans to put up points.

Something that is going unmentioned is the fact that the Ravens offense leads the NFL in Total Points (with 300 total points) and Points/Game (averaging 33.3 pts/game). That's VERY high and I think we hit that average this week. There's nothing on the Texans D to make me believe they'll be able to stop Lamar. Dude is playing at an insane level. The Texans HAVE to score 30 points to have any chance of beating us and that's not the case for most teams. Most teams, you can get by with 24 points...MAYBE 27 and beat them. We're averaging 33 points a game...what works with most other teams doesn't work with us because we score so much and so often.

All our defense has to do is force a couple turnovers and most importantly, slow down that Texans offense a few drives. Make them punt more times than the Ravens offense is punting and we'll win...even if it's only 1 more extra time where they punt and our offense scores...that can be the difference-maker.

The Texans offense is ranked 10th overall in Total Points which isn't bad, but it also shows they're not putting quite as many points up as we are. This is why we'll be 8-2 after this game and they'll be 6-4, what worries me is that they ARE coming to Baltimore after their Bye Week. So they're rested and they've been studying us an extra week. Don't be surprised if they start strong. They're ranked 8th in Points/Game with 26.4. They're going to have to overperform by a whole touchdown average and have their best game of the season, whereas Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense just has to have an average day. If we underperform our scoring average and they overperform theirs...we're in trouble.

Re: Our Keys to Victory Against the Texans

After watching a few of their condensed games, my biggest key is just getting Deshaun on the ground. There’s so many plays where the defense has him dead to rights, only for him to break 3 tackles and throw a laser. If we can limit those big plays, we win by at least 10 points.

3. Re: Our Keys to Victory Against the Texans

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    After watching a few of their condensed games, my biggest key is just getting Deshaun on the ground. There’s so many plays where the defense has him dead to rights, only for him to break 3 tackles and throw a laser. If we can limit those big plays, we win by at least 10 points.
    Sounds like all the times we let Rothleisberger extend a play against us.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    Sounds like all the times we let Rothleisberger extend a play against us.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    That’s exactly what it reminds me of.

Blog Entries

My general feeling is that with only Pierce injured, but replaced by Peko and Ellis, the Ravens are the better team and playing at home. That's not to say the Texans can't win, but I feel the odds are in our favor. I conservatively predicted a Ravens 27 - 23 win and I've no reason to change that... Bc

P.S. - It looks like the Texans may be without WR Will Fuller.

Blog Entries

They have to stop Hyde. He's quietly having a productive year, averaging 4.7 YPC and 700~ yards. If they can make them one dimensional and have to pass it, I like our chances given that plays right into our strength. It's not going to be good if they struggle against the run like they did against Cincy.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

This. I said this yesterday in another thread (and it just so happens to have killed the thread, haha). But couldn't agree more. Watson is elite at extending plays and making throws downfield and we are below average at converting sacks, so this is a huge area of focus for me.

Jamison Hensley tweeted this out

During media viewing, Ravens ran a drill in which defensive lineman had to chase down a scrambling Robert Griffin III.

Baltimore is obviously preparing for Deshaun Watson. It's first time I've seen Ravens practicing a drill like that one.

Texans D are ranked #3 against the run, 29th against the pass. We should be able to exploit some coverages in their pass D

Defensively we need to find out a way to bring Watson to the ground. He can be a Houdini back there sometimes. Don't allow the big plays and keep everything in front of us. Texans run the no huddle at the highest rate in the league. Let's hope the ravens can counter that as they attempt to substitute guys in and out.

Most importantly win the turnover battle which we've been doing most of the year.

NOT arguing “who is better”, just saying that Watson is the closest thing to LJ we have/will face(d) all year. Much of the same elusiveness, although I believe LJ is significantly faster.

Watson has an extra year, so I give him the edge as a passer at this point.

I see neither defense ”shutting down” the other O. I think our edge D is soft. I think HOU will have trouble with our TE’s.
    I believe GRo adds a new wrinkle each game, and I think this could be a time for J Hill on the wheel route that I’ve been waiting for. Get him 1on1 with a S or an LB and should be an easy 6.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

The Texans are coming off their bye week. I am cautiously optimistic about this game. I think it will be close. The Ravens have to severely limit the Texans running game and I think they will be ok.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

To me its very simple.
    Early in the season, the Raven's defense got toasted in back to back games giving up over 500 yards.
    The Raven's offense did great against Miami but after that, not so high octane.
    But...EDC made some fantastic moves to help the defense.
    Then the Ravens over the last month began executing their offense at a very high level, across the board.
    The entire Ravens team turned a corner against the Seahawks and have not looked back.
    Ever since the delay of game penalty, and then the 4th and 2 Lamar TD, this entire team has simply changed.
    He has become a different player and the entire team followed suit.

The Raven defense is playing better now.
    The Raven offense is gelling now.
    Their confidence is growing every single game.

All the Ravens have to do, is continue to follow their leader and that is the Key to Victory.

DAMMIT! Somebody give me a helmet!
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.