Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Our Keys to Victory Against the Texans

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I keep going back and forth about whether this is our toughest game. I don't think it is. Seattle and NE are were our two toughest games IMO. Watson and Texans will be tough no doubt but they can slowed down and contained. There's a reason why they are 5-3. They are beatable.
    I believe they are saying that this is the toughest game on the remaining schedule, not all schedule. After Cle and Pitt eliminated each other yesterday, yes, this is the toughest game remaining on the schedule.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

On filmstudy's podcast know your foe episode, the Texans analysist said that the DVOA for over the middle short passes is 89! That's insane! Like 37/40 completions against their defense. Their is a huge hole there that the Ravens can exploit like everyone else.

HOT/COLD - OFFENSE

(4) Deshaun Watson - (23) Carlos Hyde - (25) Duke Johnson

(10) DeAndre Hopkins - (87) Darren Fells - (16) Keke Coutee - (15) Will Fuller

(78) Laremy Tunsil - (74) Max Scharping - (66) Nick Martin - (73) Zach Fulton - (71) Tytus Howard

% Plays by Personnel
    1-1 61%
    1-2 33%
    other 6%

Deshaun Watson is an MVP candidate. The Ravens are battle tested at the QB position, having played Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Russell Wilson already this season. The latter two were for the most part shut down. Wilson scored an under 50% completion percentage and both were intercepted. This after the changes made to the Ravens defense. If anyone can slow down a Deshaun Watson, it may be the Ravens back seven.

Watson makes the offense run but the team has a legit 1-2 punch at RB in Hyde and Johnson, a classic thunder/lightning approach. If Hyde is in the game, they aren't throwing to him (10 total targets vs 149 rushing attempts). If Johnson is in, either could happen. When you combine that with Watson's running ability you get the #4 rush offense in the league.

Houston uses 1-2 personnel more than any other team in the NFL, except Philadelphia. This despite only having two TE on the active roster (Fells and sophomore Jordan Akins). Together they have 44 catches on 59 targets, for 493 yards and 8 TD. The Ravens are going to have to pay particular attention to the TE in the red zone.

At WR, they get Fuller back this week, which will stretch the Ravens defense. Prior to his injury he was putting up a very good season. DeAndre Hopkins goes without explanation. Keke Coutee and Kenny Stills round out a WR corp that puts a lot of pressure on defenses with their speed, quickness and route running ability.

The weakness in Houston for years was their offensive line. With such a good group of skill position players, the OL only needs to be competent. In this regard, the trade for Tunsil (who is putting together a much better season than I expected) and the drafting of Howard and Scharping were great moves. The selection of Howard was panned at the draft yet he has been very solid at RT. The interior OL is still susceptible to penetration, however the Ravens will likely have to blitz again to get consistent pressure.

All told, this will be the toughest test for the Ravens defense since the Kansas City game. It's going to be fun to watch because there are some great matchups here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    At WR, they get Fuller back this week, which will stretch the Ravens defense. Prior to his injury he was putting up a very good season.
    WNCR, my apologies for cherry picking your well written/thought out post.
    However, I have not seen where Fuller is 100% ready to play this Sunday.
    Checked ESPN today, and :
    "Will Fuller V, WR Questionable Nov 15
    Comment: Fuller (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Ravens, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports."

What makes you so sure he will play, and if so will be a factor? ... Bc

Fuller OUT

Blog Entries

Injury Report: Final Updates Before Week 11 (written November 15th) :

"The return of Marquise Brown, who missed practice Thursday, is critical as his impact on the Ravens offense has been evident throughout the season. Brown came away with four catches for 80 yards and a touchdown last week. Brown has been sitting out of Friday practices for the majority of the season, but his missed practice on Thursday allowed for him to return on Friday.

Of greater concern is Michael Pierce’s inability to practice all week. Pierce’s ankle injury prompted the signing of DTs Domata Peko Sr. and Justin Ellis. Pierce will be a game time decision on Sunday. With or without Pierce, the Ravens must stop the run or else Deshaun Watson and the Texans offense will have a field day against the Ravens defense.

The Texans, on the other hand, have a larger share of injuries with players such as Will Fuller (WR), Laremy Tunsil (LT), Tashaun Gipson (S), Tytus Howard (RT), and Bradley Roby (D-back) all being limited during this week’s practices. Most of these players should be in line to play Sunday as their limited participation all week will prompt a questionable, yet expected to play, injury designation."

Looks like the Texans are more banged-up than our Ravens... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    HOLLYWOOD back!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope so. Little afraid that his size is going to make him more susceptible to injuries. Play a game or two then miss a few.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Comment: Fuller (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Ravens, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports."

Ah, well, if Fuller doesn't play, Kenny Stills steps in at the Z and does pretty much the same thing. I had read earlier that Fuller was expected back for the Ravens game but that was at least a week ago.

Injury Report: Final Updates Before Week 11 (written November 15th) :

"The return of Marquise Brown, who missed practice Thursday, is critical as his impact on the Ravens offense has been evident throughout the season. Brown came away with four catches for 80 yards and a touchdown last week. Brown has been sitting out of Friday practices for the majority of the season, but his missed practice on Thursday allowed for him to return on Friday.

Of greater concern is Michael Pierce’s inability to practice all week. Pierce’s ankle injury prompted the signing of DTs Domata Peko Sr. and Justin Ellis. Pierce will be a game time decision on Sunday. With or without Pierce, the Ravens must stop the run or else Deshaun Watson and the Texans offense will have a field day against the Ravens defense.

The Texans, on the other hand, have a larger share of injuries with players such as Will Fuller (WR), Laremy Tunsil (LT), Tashaun Gipson (S), Tytus Howard (RT), and Bradley Roby (D-back) all being limited during this week’s practices. Most of these players should be in line to play Sunday as their limited participation all week will prompt a questionable, yet expected to play, injury designation."

Looks like the Texans are more banged-up than our Ravens... Bc
    Those two OT injuries are going to loom even larger than the WR injury, both literally and figuratively. Tunsil and Howard as bookends have been the two best linemen for the Texans.

It's why I wait so long sometimes before doing these hot/cold things because I try to have the players that will actually suit up on Sunday.

Fuller and Bradley Roby (CB) are both out - still a very tough team, so this will be a good test of how we stack up against another playoff team.

HOT/COLD - DEFENSE

(97) Angelo Blackson - (99) DJ Reader - (92) Brandon Dunn

(59) Whitney Mercilus - (41) Zach Cunningham - (55) Benardrick McKinney - (57) Brennan Scarlett

(25) Jonathan Joseph - (39) Tashaun Gipson? - (20) Justin Reid - (22) Gareon Conley

The Texans run a base 3-4 defense. They no longer have their best two players on D - those being JJ Watt (injury) and Jadeveon Clowney (trade). So what do they have left behind?

The Texans still have one of the best run defenses in the league. Part of this however is due to having the least amount of rushing attempts against them (183). Their pass defense has been so bad, and their offense so good, that teams have thrown the second most attempts against them (354). In terms of Yards Per Rush, they're a modest 13th. I expect the Ravens to have success in the run game.

The DL is headlined by nose tackle DJ Reader, who is playing at an All Pro level. He is a brick wall against a generic run-up-the-middle offense, and his interior pass rush has improved. Without Watt and Clowney, Reader becomes the player to game plan around. Blackson and Dunn are warm bodies, but expect more playing time from emerging rookie Charles Omenihu at the 5-tech.

The linebackers are solid across the board, from EDGE players Mercilus and Scarlett to ILB McKinney and Cunningham. Mercilus however is the only real pass rush threat and as noted earlier in this thread, the Texans leave the field wide open for TE and WR in the middle.

The problem might be in personnel more than front seven talent. Their #1 CB Joseph is ancient. Their best CB Roby is hurt. Roby's backup is Gareon Conley who has underperformed. Gipson has been terrible in pass coverage, and he's hurt. The team is so thin in the secondary that they just signed Vernon Hargreaves off the trash heap. And this is why teams choose to throw on them.

With the Ravens offense at home, I expect them to put up plenty of points on this unit, and though I think they can run well, they may just do it through the air like everyone else.

Blog Entries

Looms like the way to attack the Texans is going at their secondary... More passes to WRs this game than usual?

Of greater concern is Michael Pierce’s inability to practice all week. Pierce’s ankle injury prompted the signing of DTs Domata Peko Sr. and Justin Ellis. Pierce will be a game time decision on Sunday.
    Pierce out!