Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

17-game season more likely

Washington Post's Mark Maske reports there is "positive momentum" that a new NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement will be agreed upon before this postseason is completed.

One of the big discussions of the new CBA is the schedule, and Maske reports it "is increasingly likely to include a 17-game regular season". Adding another game to the regular season has been viewed as a big deal by the players for safety reasons, so the NFLPA will be receiving other benefits in return if a 17-game schedule is agreed upon. Other issues with the CBA include the revenue split, player punishment, rookie contracts, and the franchise tag. There should be more reports on those issues over the next couple of months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ss-labor-deal/

Re: 17-game season more likely

I was thinking the league might offer a 2nd bye to appease the NFLPA. I would assume that another week off would be a positive for the players (although I could be wrong). Plus a second bye would make it easier for the league to schedule 8 London games a season.

I don't like the idea of extra games because the season long stats as we are accustomed to them would change. Records get broken ( albeit with an asterisk) and it just changes the what is normal and expected performance wise. Don't get me wrong being able to watch an extra ravens game would be great but I'm a traditionalist in many ways

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I don't like the idea of extra games because the season long stats as we are accustomed to them would change. Records get broken ( albeit with an asterisk) and it just changes the what is normal and expected performance wise. Don't get me wrong being able to watch an extra ravens game would be great but I'm a traditionalist in many ways
    That's happened all throughout NFL history though. We've had a 16-game season since when? 1978? Think about all the records that got displaced that were set pre-78 when they went from 14 games to 16 games. I don't think a little shakeup is a bad thing and allows for a new era of stat leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mac View Post
    I was thinking the league might offer a 2nd bye to appease the NFLPA. I would assume that another week off would be a positive for the players (although I could be wrong). Plus a second bye would make it easier for the league to schedule 8 London games a season.
    16/4/1 being replaced by 17/2/2 could be interesting and might not be too hard to get passed by players(regular season games/preseason games/bye weeks).

The 17th game’s biggest hurdle is likely the odd home/road split which does offer an “unfair” variable. At a minimum, that would have to have a bit of a gate sharing component AND especially a tie-breaker priority change to reflect the huge advantage of having an extra home game.

Nope, here is the solution. Split gate at international games. Every team plays in 1 international game, with all bye weeks taking place before and after. International “month” is Basically November. Week 7, 8 teams get a bye, then play week 8 abroad(London, Berlin, Mexico City, Toronto, for example), then get a week 9 bye. This continues a quarter of the league at a time until week 12. Cities can rotate, but each city gets a month of games in a row. This is a plan that can literally benefit everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    16/4/1 being replaced by 17/2/2 could be interesting and might not be too hard to get passed by players(regular season games/preseason games/bye weeks).

The 17th game’s biggest hurdle is likely the odd home/road split which does offer an “unfair” variable. At a minimum, that would have to have a bit of a gate sharing component AND especially a tie-breaker priority change to reflect the huge advantage of having an extra home game.

Nope, here is the solution. Split gate at international games. Every team plays in 1 international game, with all bye weeks taking place before and after. International “month” is Basically November. Week 7, 8 teams get a bye, then play week 8 abroad(London, Berlin, Mexico City, Toronto, for example), then get a week 9 bye. This continues a quarter of the league at a time until week 12. Cities can rotate, but each city gets a month of games in a row. This is a plan that can literally benefit everyone.

Great ideas.

For me, 16 games or 17, I still prefer 2 bye weeks. One extra week of football even if we're not playing. Better for recovery. Easier to schedule Thursday night games and international games after bye weeks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

It works for the money but talk about a logistical nightmare. They already had a bunch of scheduling screwups like the Raiders just from the London game. Adding all those places is going to create some real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mac View Post
    Bingo!

Plus throw them the bone of the 2nd bye and I think everyone walks away happy.

However, I don't know if anyone had proposed the 2nd bye... that was just something I threw out there, but I think that would solve problems on both sides.
    I feel like a 2nd bye also benefits the owners. A 17-week, 1-bye regular season is 18 weeks. A 17-week, 2-bye regular season is 19 weeks. That's more weeks for people to tune into football. More $$

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I feel like a 2nd bye also benefits the owners. A 17-week, 1-bye regular season is 18 weeks. A 17-week, 2-bye regular season is 19 weeks. That's more weeks for people to tune into football. More $$
    Yep. This is a big part of the equation: extending the season deeper into winter means NFL dominates story lines even more. February is there for the taking (NBA all-star break doldrums, before March Madness) and the NFL wants it. Pushing back the Super Bowl via a longer season is a great way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It works for the money but talk about a logistical nightmare. They already had a bunch of scheduling screwups like the Raiders just from the London game. Adding all those places is going to create some real problems.
    Sandwiched between bye weeks allows for a LOT larger windows for travel. It might not be a perfect solution, but it does get rid of a lot of problems all at once in a relatively elegant manner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Ugh stop trying to make 17 games happen. 16 is perfect
    The scheduling and the tiebreaking procedures are crystal-clear and as fair as they could possibly be. No doubt that's one of the reasons Greedell wants to fuck with them. Then there's the NIH (Not Invented Here) factor - you get a bunch of young assholes in the league office who think they can do it better. Which they can't, but that won't prevent them from breaking the system as they fumble* around. (* See what I did there? )

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You could've stopped after the first 5 words - that's really all Greedell & his Barely Men (& for that matter most of the owners) care about.

IMHO one of the disastrous consequences of end-stage capitalism-run-riot is how corps will gleefully fold, spindle & mutilate any product line, no matter how beautifully structured and profitable and pleasing to its customers, if some geenyuss convinces upper mismanagement they can squeeze out a few more pennies for the schlockholders (&, not incidentally, bigger buck$ for upper mismanagement). And shamelessly trade on "brand loyalty" to retain customers long after said brand bears no resemblance to the one that won that loyalty in the beginning.

But hey, that's just me...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Yeah the only way they can do an odd number of games in a season in my opinion is to give every team a neutral-site game every season, and if they do that, yeah, they're going to put those games internationally.