Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Greg Roman Extension?

There's no question Greg Roman has played an integral part in our success and the success of Lamar Jackson. Read somewhere they revamped like 30% of the playbook to suit LJ's skill set. Given Roman's good track record with mobile QBs is it possible his HC opportunities are limited to those organizations that currently have a mobile QB on their roster whom they would like to build around? It's for this reason I don't see him going anywhere this year regardless of how we finish. If he duplicates next year what he's already accomplished this year teams will definitely start calling him to try and duplicate our system here and perhaps aim to look for the next LJ.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    There's no question Greg Roman has played an integral part in our success and the success of Lamar Jackson. Read somewhere they revamped like 30% of the playbook to suit LJ's skill set. Given Roman's good track record with mobile QBs is it possible his HC opportunities are limited to those organizations that currently have a mobile QB on their roster whom they would like to build around? It's for this reason I don't see him going anywhere this year regardless of how we finish. If he duplicates next year what he's already accomplished this year teams will definitely start calling him to try and duplicate our system here and perhaps aim to look for the next LJ.
    There is no next LJ. Would a team like the Bills think that Roman could turn Josh Allen into a great player since he is a LJ lite type talent? I just don't see it. Maybe Mariota would benefit but it's hard to see a team building an offense around him. There also isn't a top college prospect similar to Lamar Jackson. Things can change quickly but there sure doesn't seem to be anyone like that worth talking about.

Read somewhere they revamped like 30% of the playbook to suit LJ's skill set.
    My understanding is they re-wrote ALL of it, in terms of changing the verbiage and streamlining the organization – giving similar concepts similar naming conventions, or whatever – so they "revamped" 100% of the playbook. Easier to call in the huddle and at the line; easier to learn and retain.

In the process of that revamp, about 30% of the content is brand-new. All-new plays – or maybe formations – or maybe shifts – or something. (We can't know, I guess.)

Year Rnd Player Team Mobile?
    2005 1 Alex Smith SFO yes
    2005 1 Aaron Rodgers GNB ? 4.7 in the 40
    2005 1 Jason Campbell WAS no
    2005 3 Charlie Frye CLE yes
    2005 3 David Greene SEA ?
    2006 1 Vince Young TEN yes
    2006 1 Matt Leinart ARI no
    2006 1 Jay Cutler DEN no
    2006 2 Kellen Clemens NYJ ?
    2006 2 Tarvaris Jackson MIN ? (but 4.69 40)
    2006 3 Charlie Whitehurst SDG ?
    2006 3 Brodie Croyle KAN ?
    2007 1 JaMarcus Russell OAK ?
    2007 1 Brady Quinn CLE ?
    2007 2 Kevin Kolb PHI ?
    2007 2 John Beck MIA no
    2007 2 Drew Stanton DET ?
    2007 3 Trent Edwards BUF ?
    2008 1 Matt Ryan ATL no
    2008 1 Joe Flacco BAL no
    2008 2 Brian Brohm GNB no
    2008 2 Chad Henne MIA no
    2008 3 Kevin O'Connell NWE ?
    2009 1 Matthew Stafford DET no
    2009 1 Mark Sanchez NYJ ?
    2009 1 Josh Freeman TAM ?
    2009 2 Pat White MIA ?
    2010 1 Sam Bradford STL NO!
    2010 1 Tim Tebow DEN yes
    2010 2 Jimmy Clausen CAR ?
    2010 3 Colt McCoy CLE ?
    2011 1 Cam Newton CAR yes
    2011 1 Jake Locker TEN no
    2011 1 Blaine Gabbert JAX no
    2011 1 Christian Ponder MIN no
    2011 2 Andy Dalton CIN no
    2011 2 Colin Kaepernick SFO yes
    2011 3 Ryan Mallett NWE no
    2012 1 Andrew Luck IND yes
    2012 1 Robert Griffin WAS yes
    2012 1 Ryan Tannehill MIA no
    2012 1 Brandon Weeden CLE NO!
    2012 2 Brock Osweiler DEN ?
    2012 3 Russell Wilson SEA YES!
    2012 3 Nick Foles PHI no
    2013 1 EJ Manuel BUF ?
    2013 2 Geno Smith NYJ ?
    2013 3 Mike Glennon TAM ?
    2014 1 Blake Bortles JAX no
    2014 1 Johnny Manziel CLE yes
    2014 1 Teddy Bridgewater MIN ?
    2014 2 Derek Carr OAK ?
    2014 2 Jimmy Garoppolo NWE no
    2015 1 Jameis Winston TAM ?
    2015 1 Marcus Mariota TEN yes
    2015 3 Garrett Grayson NOR ?
    2015 3 Sean Mannion STL ?
    2016 1 Jared Goff LAR ?
    2016 1 Carson Wentz PHI yes
    2016 1 Paxton Lynch DEN ?
    2016 2 Christian Hackenberg NYJ ?
    2016 3 Jacoby Brissett NWE yes
    2016 3 Cody Kessler CLE ?
    2017 1 Mitchell Trubisky CHI ?
    2017 1 Patrick Mahomes KAN yes
    2017 1 Deshaun Watson HOU yes
    2017 2 DeShone Kizer CLE ?
    2017 3 Davis Webb NYG ?
    2017 3 C.J. Beathard SFO ?
    2018 1 Baker Mayfield CLE yes
    2018 1 Sam Darnold NYJ ?
    2018 1 Josh Allen BUF yes
    2018 1 Josh Rosen ARI no
    2018 1 Lamar Jackson BAL yes
    2018 3 Mason Rudolph PIT no
    2019 1 Kyler Murray ARI yes
    2019 1 Daniel Jones NYG yes
    2019 1 Dwayne Haskins WAS no
    2019 2 Drew Lock DEN ?
    2019 3 Will Grier CAR ?

Given Roman's good track record with mobile QBs is it possible his HC opportunities are limited to those organizations that currently have a mobile QB on their roster whom they would like to build around?
    It's possible organizations see it that way. I think that would be dumb; but sure, it's possible.

Previous post is a list of QBs drafted in the first 3 rounds since 2005. I wanted to highlight how many of them were mobile enough to run the Greg Roman offense as smoothly as Alex Smith did with the Niners in 2011. Instead, what I think I really showed was how little I know about the college players.

(I removed Andrew Walter, 3rd rounder to Oakland in 2005, because the table was too long to post and I needed to delete a row. And I've literally never heard of him, so I think he must not be that important.)

But even with my limited knowledge: at least 20 guys in the last 15 or 16 years could have run Roman's offense like Alex Smith did in 2011. The NFL has been trending that was for the last several years: most of the QBs at the top of the draft are more than mobile enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is no next LJ. Would a team like the Bills think that Roman could turn Josh Allen into a great player since he is a LJ lite type talent? I just don't see it. Maybe Mariota would benefit but it's hard to see a team building an offense around him. There also isn't a top college prospect similar to Lamar Jackson. Things can change quickly but there sure doesn't seem to be anyone like that worth talking about.
    I specifically said teams would "aim to look for the next LJ". I also specifically tied Roman to an LJ like prospect. And yes I believe we'll see more talented guys like LJ come along. I don't know how you could infer that Roman could possibly make someone like Josh Allen elite. He may end up being elite but not the Greg Roman way.

About 7 or 8 head coaches get fired every year. Current fashion is to appoint offensive playcallers to those vacancies. If we finish the season with the number one offense and the owners see pundits praising Roman on TV every week, it's highly probable that he will get head coaching offers.

If he decides to take one, Harbaugh needs to promote someone from within who can still run Roman's offense or bring in a college coach, rather than reverting to type and just appointing whatever failed HC with an offensive background that's available and then letting them just run their own system.

I can only hope that we keep him as OC for a second year. No doubt he's deserving of a HC gig but that Kubiak departure basically broke Joe's future in Baltimore.

If I were Bisciotti id do anything to keep him for at least a second year. That would help develop Culley, Urban, Wiseman etc for a takeover in '21.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    My understanding is they re-wrote ALL of it, in terms of changing the verbiage and streamlining the organization – giving similar concepts similar naming conventions, or whatever – so they "revamped" 100% of the playbook. Easier to call in the huddle and at the line; easier to learn and retain.

In the process of that revamp, about 30% of the content is brand-new. All-new plays – or maybe formations – or maybe shifts – or something. (We can't know, I guess.)
    I got the 30% number from an article Jeff Z did for the athletic so not sure.

Blog Entries

Roman could stay with the Ravens through the next 3 Super Bowls, continuing to build something very special, then based on that success leave after SB LVI & write his own ticket - & he wouldn't turn 50 until August of that year. Were I a betting curmudgeometer, I'd wager that Biscuit makes pretty much that exact pitch to him & sweetens it with some sweet sweeet $$$.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

I got the 30% number from an article Jeff Z did for the athletic so not sure.
    Me too.

Also the piece by Dan Pompei in the Athletic, and one by Adam Kilgore in the Wash Post.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Roman could stay with the Ravens through the next 3 Super Bowls, continuing to build something very special, then based on that success leave after SB LVI & write his own ticket - & he wouldn't turn 50 until August of that year. Were I a betting curmudgeometer, I'd wager that Biscuit makes pretty much that exact pitch to him
    I think the thing is, Roman isn't Matt Lafleur or Zac Taylor. He's been around the block. He's not going to feel any urgency about taking the first available piece-of-shit job that comes open. He knows that his best chance of success is in a place with good ownership and a good GM.

He'll be – I don't want to say "picky", but he'll use good judgement. Not lunge for the first opening.