Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: What Will It Take to Extend Peters?

I doubt he extends now with FA imminent. With the $$ being thrown around, he'd be crazy to do it unless EDC gives him crazy money now, which won't happen. I love the addition so far, but 3 games is a very small sample size. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    I don't see any "good" off-season scenarios that include losing Pierce and cutting B-Will...does anyone?

Before this off-season, camp, preseason, etc., I was totally onboard with the cut B-Will crowd, but now I think that would be a huge mistake. Pierce showed up fat and out of shape in a contract year. B-Will's been playing much better since he and ET went at it. Is he still overpaid for a run stuffing DT? Sure. But at this point, it's kinda like the complaints of Hurst as a first round TE... they're both sunk costs (the contact and the draft pick), and they're both contributing net positives that would be difficult to replace. I say let Pierce get overpaid, and draft/sign 1-2 to compete with Mack.

Peters is going to be a tough call. I think the "sell" should be that our system, and specifically our safeties, allow him to gamble and do what he does best. That and our "culture," along with a solid non-bank breaking offer, hopefully. I think the million dollar question is, should he be paid as a number one cornerback, or as a top number two? If he keeps up his rate of interceptions, it's going to be hard to counter against his agent, who will most certainly be arguing the former.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Wait, I missed something. What happened between Earl and big boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    ET called him out I think after the Browns game and they got in a bit of a yelling match.

I’m sure someone has the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    3-years, $45 Million...gives us a decent contract in both dollars and length, plus gives Peters another shot at Free Agency before he's 30 years old.

Win-win.
    I like this idea a lot. Three years would be the prime Lamar Window years $$-wise and maybe health wise, too. (Lamar's health). If I were EDC I would try to maximize the number of key impact players we could keep for the 2020-2022 seasons. Peters qualifies as a candidate, but because of his personality, I wouldn't rate him as valuable as Marlon - I am more comfortable signing Marlon for five years.

Doctor, I don't think 15 M p.a. will be enough - those pick-6 sixes are so easy to quantify, and what is more juicy? I would go up to 50M for three years, and take Jimmy's and Carr's money to help make it work. EDC might be able use some of Jefferson's money, but that might best be reserved for an extension of Clark.

Failing a deal, I like GOTA's suggestion of the franchise tag for 2020 for Peters.

At my age, I step back and think what a pleasant set of circumstances to consider.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Rams viewed Ramsey as an upgrade Peters was moved to clear cap space. Does that really count?
    The Rams were dumb to move him. You need more then one good corner in this league.

They should have forced them to take Talib and just kept Peters. Oh well their loss is our gain.

I see we are getting an early jump on wildly under-estimating what Player X will get offered if they hit free agency and how Team X grossly overpaid for the guy. Classic that never gets old.

I don't think $15/yr will do it, but $16/yr probably gets it done. Time will tell. I'd love to see them keep Peters.

I'm all about comp picks, but this might be a year where we spend enough in FA that we're just not going to hit it out of the park with comp picks. If the deal is short enough (someone mentioned a 3 yr deal that allows Peters to get paid again) we still have a chance at a good comp pick for him. It's just further down the line.

I have questions. While he's a flashy ballhawk, does he make bad decisions which could wind up going 70 yards into the Ravens' end zone? Is he a solid tackler? Has he moved around a lot because he is poor in these regards? Just asking; I don't know.

That said, I think they need pass-rushing help much more than anything, and I'd spend the bucks there. I'd love both but....

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I see we are getting an early jump on wildly under-estimating what Player X will get offered if they hit free agency and how Team X grossly overpaid for the guy. Classic that never gets old.
    Yeah I've read this book before too. I'm in favor of the franchise tag if it's available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I would think 5/$80 would be market value. Maybe the threat of playing 2020 under the franchise tag can get him closer to 5/$75m.

I know salary cap money can go quickly, but I think the Ravens are positioned quite well.

After the signings of Fort and Snead the Ravens have around $55m under the cap.

Cutting Jefferson (a virtual certainty) gets them back up to $62m. Other possible cuts would be B-Williams ($9m saved) Carr ($6m) Koch ($3.25)and Hurst ($2.75m). If the Ravens make a complete push to get younger, and all four are cut, that adds another $21m. We can discuss those four players at
    a later point.

Putting the ERFA on Edwards and the RFA tender on Skura takes the Ravens down to around $58m

Worth noting is that the current figure of $62m includes the 5th year option for Ronnie Stanley. If the Ravens extend him somewhere in that 15-16m range for a top tackle, his 2020 cap figure might very well go down, pushing the free space even further.

These are the upcoming free agents:

Restricted: Skura, Edwards (both will undoubtedly be back)

Unrestricted: Moore, Roberts, Judon (priority), Pierce (priority), Onwuasor (lower priority), Jimmy Smith, Josh Bynes, Levine, McPhee, Peters

Lets's say the Ravens opt to keep Koch, Carr, B-Will, and Hurst. They extend Stanley and then give Peters somewhere in that 15-16m range (with year one being around $12). The still puts the Ravens around $49m to attack the rest of their re-signings and free agency. Probably about 6-8m of that will need to go to your draft class, but that is still plenty left. That's $42m to play with roughly. I think the Ravens F.O. would like to keep around a $25m cushion in reserve to use towards future contracts for LJ, Andrews, Humphrey, and Brown Jr. That still leaves 17-20m to play with in free agency, or perhaps more if additional cuts come.

Bottom line the Ravens can re-sign Peters and still have enough room for one more premier free agent and a tier 2 or 3 free agent.

This is the upside of having a well-performing QB in his rookie contract.
    Judon is going to cost close to $20M per season, I would rather go to $22M and get Clowney. He is an absolute beast!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    ET said to Big Baby " I wish you played" and BW responded with " I wish you didnt play" then they had to be separated, I don't think it got physical

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    ET said to Big Baby " I wish you played" and BW responded with " I wish you didnt play" then they had to be separated, I don't think it got physical
    I think BW rebuttal was “I wish YOU played.”
    As in calling out ET on giving up on the play where he pulled up on Nick Chubb and blamed it on his hammy