Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Why does the identity of the whistle-blower matter?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Which opening statement? False in what particulars?
    Are you freaking kidding me? Ok. This is clearly a joke to you. No sense in taking anything you say seriously.

You are actually on a message board talking about impeachment, and you don’t know what opening statement schiff made that was completely made up???? Wow. Just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me? Ok. This is clearly a joke to you. No sense in taking anything you say seriously.

You are actually on a message board talking about impeachment, and you don’t know what opening statement schiff made that was completely made up???? Wow. Just wow
    If you can't answer the question, just say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    What? Who said it was incomplete?
    A few of the witnesses in the hearings.

What do you think "rough transcript" even means, anyway? And what was the record of the call that was "secured"?

Blog Entries

If you can't answer the question, just say so.
    It’s kinda crazy you don’t know this. Or maybe you do and just don’t know this is what Vlad is talking about...

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/26...ine-president/

A few of the witnesses in the hearings.

What do you think "rough transcript" even means, anyway? And what was the record of the call that was "secured"?
    Why do you think you haven't heard about the people who said the transcript was accurate and that nothing inappropriate happened on the call?

Seriously. Why don't you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It’s kinda crazy you don’t know this. Or maybe you do and just don’t know this is what Vlad is talking about:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/26...ine-president/
    Definitely didn't know what Vlad was talking about. I don't keep up with the in-references you guys share in your Republican mutual congratulation society down here.

Thanks for the link.

But, um, are you guys crazy? Even from the piece of Schiff's statement excerpted there, without bothering to look up the full text, it's clear that Schiff is not quoting, nor pretending to quote.
    "In essence, what the President Trump communicates is this..."
    Everyone in the world would understand that to be Schiff's characterization or understanding or interpretation of the actual conversation. Everyone in the world would understand that Schiff's next words would be paraphrased and punched-up for effect.

A very reasonable characterization, BTW. I would by no means call that a "false allegation", as Vlad does, even in the "rough transcript" that the administration made public. But we're wandering away from my original question, about whether the whistleblower's actual identity is relevant to anything.

It seems to me that the only reason to seek the whistleblower's identity, is to discredit him and possibly expose him to reprisals. Is there anything I'm missing there?

Definitely didn't know what Vlad was talking about. I don't keep up with the in-references you guys share in your Republican mutual congratulation society down here.

Thanks for the link.

But, um, are you guys crazy? Even from the piece of Schiff's statement excerpted there, without bothering to look up the full text, it's clear that Schiff is not quoting, nor pretending to quote.

Everyone in the world would understand that to be Schiff's characterization or understanding or interpretation of the actual conversation. Everyone in the world would understand that Schiff's next words would be paraphrased and punched-up for effect.

A very reasonable characterization, BTW. I would by no means call that a "false allegation", as Vlad does, even in the "rough transcript" that the administration made public. But we're wandering away from my original question, about whether the whistleblower's actual identity is relevant to anything.

It seems to me that the only reason to seek the whistleblower's identity, is to discredit him and possibly expose him to reprisals. Is there anything I'm missing there?
    By this point you have to be trolling.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Why do you think you haven't heard about the people who said the transcript was accurate and that nothing inappropriate happened on the call?

Seriously. Why don't you know that?
    I have heard about those people. Trump has said it. Guiliani has said it. Stephanie Grisham has said it. That view has not exactly been absent from public discourse, or suppressed. It hasn't lacked a platform, in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    By this point you have to be trolling.
    About what?

• I don't know who the whistleblower is. Evidently RealClear reported who they think it is, but I haven't read their piece, nor seen it "confirmed" anywhere.

I personally am not very curious. I assume when the identity becomes public knowledge, it's going to be some person I've never heard of whose name will mean nothing to me. A career intelligence officer or DOD person or state dept or some such.

In other words, even when I know who it is, I won't know who it is, if you follow me. Unless it's somebody juicy like, say, John Podesta or Huma Abedin.

• I don't see any reason to work to ID the whistleblower, other than to attempt to discredit him and possible expose him to reprisals. Is there something I'm missing?

That's all I started the thread to talk about.

Vlad dinged me for not getting a reference to some remarks from ~6 weeks ago – some frankly obscure remarks, if you're not reading the Congressional Register or whatever every night. NC cleared up the reference for me; and here we are.

I do plan on doing some trolling here later. But I have to finish listening to a podcast to do it; and have to make at least a "rough transcript" of it. Will take some days.

About what?

• I don't know who the whistleblower is. Evidently RealClear reported who they think it is, but I haven't read their piece, nor seen it "confirmed" anywhere.

I personally am not very curious. I assume when the identity becomes public knowledge, it's going to be some person I've never heard of whose name will mean nothing to me. A career intelligence officer or DOD person or state dept or some such.

In other words, even when I know who it is, I won't know who it is, if you follow me. Unless it's somebody juicy like, say, John Podesta or Huma Abedin.

• I don't see any reason to work to ID the whistleblower, other than to attempt to discredit him and possible expose him to reprisals. Is there something I'm missing?

That's all I started the thread to talk about.

Vlad dinged me for not getting a reference to some remarks from ~6 weeks ago – some frankly obscure remarks, if you're not reading the Congressional Register or whatever every night. NC cleared up the reference for me; and here we are.

I do plan on doing some trolling here later. But I have to finish listening to a podcast to do it; and have to make at least a "rough transcript" of it. Will take some days.
    If it's the guy they're reporting, then he's already committed perjury, and he has no first hand knowledge of the phone call.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

There's a piece in the Wash Post yesterday about efforts to ID the whistleblower in the Trump/Ukraine story, and how different media outlets are handling it:

The piece is fairly dry. Some excerpts:

Dumb question:

What is the importance of the whistle-blower's actual identity? Either the substance of the report (allegation? complaint? filing?) is verifed, or isn't. In either case, I don't see what diff the identity makes.

• If the elements are confirmed, learning the identity doesn't suddenly make them untrue.
    • If the elements are contradicted, learning the identity won't suddenly make them true.

Right? What am I missing?
    Doesn't matter at all. His report has been corroborated and then some at this point. Trump peddles in conspiracy theories and his aggrieved minions follow along. Public hearings next week. It will be a blockbuster week with a ton of old white men triggered daily.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    If it's the guy they're reporting, then he's already committed perjury, and he has no first hand knowledge of the phone call.
    Lol. This poor country.