Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 56% increase in the youth suicide rate in the last 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I don’t buy into the theory that modern communication is the root cause of all evil. Adults have been using this argument for generations. Just because kids are communicating differently that adults did, doesn’t mean they aren’t communicating. I have two teens that spent a lot of time on their phones. One managed to get into college, find room mates. And now lives in a house with 3 others. All while communicating on her phone. She researched her school online. She joined a social media group and met her roommate on her phone. This is how the younger generation communicates. I also have a 86yr old father in law that still works. When he gets his clients and cases, his communication is on paper. I hear him on the phone often, calling offices and telling them to send all correspondence in the mail. He doesn’t like email. Doesn’t know how to scan documents. And he yells at his grandkids for being on their phones.
    In my opinion, a greater cause if that we have been teaching kids that are all equal and everyone deserves a trophy. But once you get out of grade school, people still need to be evaluated. By teachers with grades, or coaches for playing time, or friends for social acceptance. Kids are having a hard time understanding that adults first teach them that everyone is the same, then they don’t understand why they didn’t make the team as the starting qb. I think the participation trophy philosophy has weakened kids ability to fight for things that they desire. When you don’t know how to fight for something, it’s easy to give up.
    I think it's multifaceted. But technology definitely plays a part.

I will also add to this the rise in secularism/atheism I think contributes to the depression/loss of hope in life. If this life/universe is all there is, then when the universe dies out, nothing we've ever done makes any difference and life is ultimately meaningless - so why not just end it when I'm not happy?

Blog Entries

I don’t buy into the theory that modern communication is the root cause of all evil. Adults have been using this argument for generations. Just because kids are communicating differently that adults did, doesn’t mean they aren’t communicating. I have two teens that spent a lot of time on their phones. One managed to get into college, find room mates. And now lives in a house with 3 others. All while communicating on her phone. She researched her school online. She joined a social media group and met her roommate on her phone. This is how the younger generation communicates. I also have a 86yr old father in law that still works. When he gets his clients and cases, his communication is on paper. I hear him on the phone often, calling offices and telling them to send all correspondence in the mail. He doesn’t like email. Doesn’t know how to scan documents. And he yells at his grandkids for being on their phones.
    In my opinion, a greater cause if that we have been teaching kids that are all equal and everyone deserves a trophy. But once you get out of grade school, people still need to be evaluated. By teachers with grades, or coaches for playing time, or friends for social acceptance. Kids are having a hard time understanding that adults first teach them that everyone is the same, then they don’t understand why they didn’t make the team as the starting qb. I think the participation trophy philosophy has weakened kids ability to fight for things that they desire. When you don’t know how to fight for something, it’s easy to give up.
    theres a different response with face to face communication than text alone. Saying we can communicate by these devices wasnt the question, its if its best for the mind to primarily communicate through them.

interesting is that Letters have become something that gives people joy. its rare to receive one these days for most people. So when they do, its still text, but it gives a completely different response than a text would. So I understand theres different ways to communicate, thats not in question, the question is are we missing a human aspect to it that is causing us to feel less connected, alone, hopeless, etc because of it.

the age group being 10-24 years olds which are mostly people still in school, I would say would eliminate the Participation trophy/real world theory as a major driver for it. Not to say that isnt an issue that causes some to feel those same things, but for this particular group being discussed, I dont see it as a dominant factor.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    theres a different response with face to face communication than text alone. Saying we can communicate by these devices wasnt the question, its if its best for the mind to primarily communicate through them.

interesting is that Letters have become something that gives people joy. its rare to receive one these days for most people. So when they do, its still text, but it gives a completely different response than a text would. So I understand theres different ways to communicate, thats not in question, the question is are we missing a human aspect to it that is causing us to feel less connected, alone, hopeless, etc because of it.

the age group being 10-24 years olds which are mostly people still in school, I would say would eliminate the Participation trophy/real world theory as a major driver for it. Not to say that isnt an issue that causes some to feel those same things, but for this particular group being discussed, I dont see it as a dominant factor.
    To add to this. I work with one of my best friends, but he's in NYC. We talk about 4 days a week. He came down here this weekend and on Monday we went got a few beers and talked for 4 hours like we haven't seen/talked to each other in 4 years. Any thing that gets between face to face interaction lessens the impact of it, I can't see how anyone could dispute that.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    To add to this. I work with one of my best friends, but he's in NYC. We talk about 4 days a week. He came down here this weekend and on Monday we went got a few beers and talked for 4 hours like we haven't seen/talked to each other in 4 years. Any thing that gets between face to face interaction lessens the impact of it, I can't see how anyone could dispute that.
    You can’t see how, because it’s the way you think things should be. Every generation does things different than the previous generation and they always get questioned for it.

At one point, everything was face to face interaction. Then ponies were used. Then letters. Then phones. Then email. And now it is snap chat. Back to the example of my father in law. He still cuts articles out of news papers and sends them to his daughter. He claims you can’t grasp the complexity of the article if you are only reading it on a 4” phone screen. He things phones are killing books. Books sales are down. And people read in their phones. Times change. But people are still able to educate themselves. Whether it is seeing a lecture in person. Reading then information on your phone, or listening on a podcast.

None of us know why so many children are killing themselves. But it has been going on for years. It does seem interesting that it also happens in pockets. For example Severna park high school has an epidemic. Significantly more than the surrounding schools. Social media is the same in all schools. Maybe it is learned? Copycat? Pressure to get in good schools. But in my opinion, all of this can go back to coping skills that we are not teaching kids today

I think this is part of it as well...

It goes back to my earlier post about WORKING for success.

I'm sure we've all got example we could share, so...here's mine. I used to work w/a guy who was about 4 years younger than me. He was 33 at the time I worked w/him. He and I always talked about the work ethic of the younger people in the office and how it left a lot to be desired. They weren't really grinding, and their performance reflected that. Now...what I always found interesting is that this same guy also didn't work as hard as he needed to in order to advance at this company, but he was oblivious to it. There was always an excuse for why he wasn't performing, and he honestly never held himself accountable. He even mentioned to me multiple times about how he was being held back because of his skin color. I NEVER called him out on his bullshit because I enjoyed his company and he was a pretty knowledgeable football fan...so I didn't want to rock the boat.

What I find fascinating about this is that he has since moved on from this company and has been at a new firm for the last year. I spoke with him last week. Guess what he told me? He's being held back for the same reason. The guy just doesn't want to put in the WORK. Period. He's still not grinding and he's still not holding himself accountable.

Vlad, I agree with you. However...I also think that technology is also a component of the equation. In my example...I don't think technology was hindering him, but I think his mentality is more common in today's youth. I've never met more "non-money motivated" people in my experience until the last 10 years of working. Couple this line of thinking w/retreating into a virtual world that is a lot easier to live in...I think is a toxic mix. Success seems like something a lot of people expect and when it doesn't happen...it's pretty depressing.

To quote Fight Club:
    “We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”

Blog Entries

You can’t see how, because it’s the way you think things should be. Every generation does things different than the previous generation and they always get questioned for it.

At one point, everything was face to face interaction. Then ponies were used. Then letters. Then phones. Then email. And now it is snap chat. Back to the example of my father in law. He still cuts articles out of news papers and sends them to his daughter. He claims you can’t grasp the complexity of the article if you are only reading it on a 4” phone screen. He things phones are killing books. Books sales are down. And people read in their phones. Times change. But people are still able to educate themselves. Whether it is seeing a lecture in person. Reading then information on your phone, or listening on a podcast.
    These are well and good. But we are talking about how any other interaction other than face to face is different and not as impactful. Now whether you want to debate the effects of the impact is fine, but there is no denying that it is less impactful.

None of us know why so many children are killing themselves. But it has been going on for years. It does seem interesting that it also happens in pockets. For example Severna park high school has an epidemic. Significantly more than the surrounding schools. Social media is the same in all schools. Maybe it is learned? Copycat? Pressure to get in good schools. But in my opinion, all of this can go back to coping skills that we are not teaching kids today
    I think we're giving reasons why. Correlation may not equal causation, but I think it does and we can debate that if you'd like.
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 10-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.

I said before: I think it is a lot of things, but there ARE tons of studies done that show that kids on social media are showing WAY higher rates of being socially immature and having problems adjusting. https://www.raisesmartkid.com/10-to-...for-kids-brain

I think the whole "Everyone gets a trophy" thing is there, but then there is the flip side... put your kid on a travelling team in sports. It is WAY over the top, too intense for kids. You have parents screaming like the kid who struck out your kid just cost him a pick in the MLB. My town alone has had to arrest 3sets of parents for fighting during kids sports between 6-11 years old! So it isn't JUST that either. If your kid plays Rec-league... and they are 5... then sure. But that whole thing has receded pretty far lately.

I still think the media and the over-dramatizing of EVERYTHING political has been terrible. Kids are being thrown into VERY adult conversations. We are talking in another thread about how someone's kid was assigned reading that has pictures of guys kissing and wearing skirts.... his kid is 6. We are talking about Greta Thunderburg (or whatever that little moron's name is). She's some bratty little piss-ant that went in front of the UN and chewed them out and was thrust onto every "Kidz Newz" channel. Sports players doing dumb ass political stuff. Cartoons. TV shows. Every SINGLE thing on TV is political now. And since Trump is in office, it is ALL negative. I wonder whatever happened to those teachers that made that "Barack Hussein Obama... hmmm hmmm hmmm" song? Did they make one for "Donald J. Trump... hmm hmmm hmmm"... I doubt it...
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    (I was born in 1980)
    Old man

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    The career part is WORK. The marriage part is WORK. The kids part is WORK. All of it is WORK.
    Seriously though. Most bang on thing I've seen you post

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Old man

Jesus. If he’s old then I’m ancient. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I certainly understand that viewpoint and lots of others I know feel the same. I don't have to have much face-to-face interaction w/people w/what I do. When I do venture out or travel, I can't wait to retreat back home to the peace and solitude of my place. I imagine lots of people have heard the phrase: "I love dogs better than most people". I hear it day in and day out. Yep.

OMG I love bulldogs... thanks so much for posting that.