Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Play clock

  1. #1

    Play clock

    Anyone else have severe anxiety attacks when we're consistently snapping the ball when the play clock hits zero? There was a few times I thought we didnt get the play off. I understand when you're trying to burn clock the need to use every possible second, but damn its too close for comfort sometimes.

    That aside, loved the fire LJ displayed when Skura didnt snap the ball in time and then immediately goes up to him and pats him on the helmet.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk





  2. #2

    Re: Play clock

    Completely okay with it. Gone are the days when we needed to burn the clock only to snap it with 15 secs left.





  3. #3

    Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    Anyone else have severe anxiety attacks when we're consistently snapping the ball when the play clock hits zero? There was a few times I thought we didnt get the play off. I understand when you're trying to burn clock the need to use every possible second, but damn its too close for comfort sometimes.

    That aside, loved the fire LJ displayed when Skura didnt snap the ball in time and then immediately goes up to him and pats him on the helmet.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I loved it. Done by design, eat up clock, and TOP.





  4. #4

    Re: Play clock

    I think I'd prefer to see it snapped as the clock goes from 2 to 1 rather that from 1 to 0 just to be safe, but unless we start regularly getting delay penalties, burn that thing down as far as we can.





  5. Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    I loved it. Done by design, eat up clock, and TOP.
    I don't think it's done by design. Roman is incredibly slow getting calls in. It works very well when they're ahead (except for their flirtation with DoG), but it's a disaster when they're behind. I'll point to the Chiefs and Browns games as evidence that this is just who Roman is rather than an intentional choice.
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

    Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)





  6. #6

    Re: Play clock

    Of all the things to nitpick, I think you may have gone too far. Play clock was fine. The one time it burned us, Jackson turned around and, after talking with Harbaugh, punched it in for the game winner (followed shortly thereafter by the defense ripping the still-beating heart straight out of their chest).





  7. #7

    Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I don't think it's done by design. Roman is incredibly slow getting calls in. It works very well when they're ahead (except for their flirtation with DoG), but it's a disaster when they're behind. I'll point to the Chiefs and Browns games as evidence that this is just who Roman is rather than an intentional choice.
    Sorry, you're wrong!





  8. #8

    Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    I think I'd prefer to see it snapped as the clock goes from 2 to 1 rather that from 1 to 0 just to be safe, but unless we start regularly getting delay penalties, burn that thing down as far as we can.
    Considering where they were, I get that they were probably doing the best they could.





  9. Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong!
    Is there...is there a counter-argument?
    Proud member of The Coordinators! Check out our latest articles on the run and pass games!

    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

    Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)





  10. #10

    Re: Play clock

    Show me where I was nitpicking. I said it gives me anxiety to see them take it down to zero.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk





  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Balt-Wash corridor
    Posts
    14,114

    Re: Play clock

    Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I don't think it's done by design. Roman is incredibly slow getting calls in. It works very well when they're ahead (except for their flirtation with DoG), but it's a disaster when they're behind. I'll point to the Chiefs and Browns games as evidence that this is just who Roman is rather than an intentional choice.
    100%. This was also an issue in San Francisco and in Buffalo.

    In SF, the story was that the play calls were relayed thru Jim Harbs, with him giving thumbs-up or -down on every call. This was a cumbersome process, and it made them slow getting calls to the field. The Niners partially blame their loss to us in the SB on this. In that theory, we were perfectly set up for a kill shot on 3rd-down at the goal line; but they couldn't get the call in, and had to burn a timeout. After the TO, we were ready, and the rest is history.

    But then the issue went with Roman to Buffalo, and suddenly the play-call-by-committee approach in SF didn't seem to be the only factor.

    Last year Lamar evidently had play-callers repeat what was in his ear, due to the lengthy WCO verbiage. That slowed things down. It's one of the reasons for the big from-the-ground-up playbook rewrite. Things are supposed to be better this year, with the streamlined verbiage.

    I guess not so much.





  12. #12

    Re: Play clock

    One thing I did like: when they went out to kick the last FG, with under 4 minutes left, it appeared that Tucker saw that they still had 20 seconds on the play clock, so he went through his setup again, which burned at least another 10. If he was thinking that was, it was quite a heads-up play.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site