Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lamar Passing Chart Week 7: Encouraging Trends that Stats Won't Show

Two things need to be said right off the bat. Lamar, and specifically, his legs are 1/2 the reason we won yesterday. The other half is his leadership and drive to be great. Lamar single handedly put the team on his back and willed a victory. Take him out of the equation, and we don't score enough on offense to win. Whatever happens in his career, he's a leader and a winner at heart.

That being said, on a day where the weather and his receivers weren't playing in his favor, and where, statistically speaking, he didn't pass the ball "well," take a look at the chart above. 10% of his passes were 20 yards or more, with one more just close to the line. We also have completions of 28 and 47 yards in the air. The spread is pretty even to the left and right, without much emphasis on the middle. He did everything we would have asked of him, including throwing the ball deeper and using the left side of the field, which he has done so often, it honestly shouldn't be a surprise or something we want to see more of anymore. The weather wasn't favorable and it lead to a lot more drops, but we started to get back to what makes this a more successful passing attack. If Boykin can continue to be a deep threat, we might be on to something big once Hollywood gets back. I'd like to chalk Andrews up to a bad game due to the rain, but it's worth watching to see if he recovers or if he starts to develop the yips.

Blog Entries

Re: Lamar Passing Chart Week 7: Encouraging Trends that Stats Won't Show

Yesterday was ugly, but a lot of that wasn't Lamar's fault. He threw some good balls out there that were just flat out dropped by Andrews, Snead, and Hurst. I would say at least 4-5 of those incomplete passes were drops.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Whatever LJ's faults may be, let us not forget we beat the Russell Wilson led 5 - 1 Seahawks in Seattle... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yesterday was ugly, but a lot of that wasn't Lamar's fault. He threw some good balls out there that were just flat out dropped by Andrews, Snead, and Hurst. I would say at least 4-5 of those incomplete passes were drops.
    Andrews had 3-4 himself. Lamar's stats would look different if they caught those passes that hit their hands.

Steve - can you throw up Russell Wilson's from yesterday.

He was 49% on the day. I'm curious to compare.

I can't geto n Next Gen's site on my work computer, it's blocked. Thanks if you can!
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Andrews had 3-4 himself. Lamar's stats would look different if they caught those passes that hit their hands.
    Yup, one of which was a sure thing TD...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    https://twitter.com/ravens4dummies/s...57395649044480

A compliation of 6 of them. Spence put on Roberts instead of Hurst.

I think 4 and 5 in this video are debtable as to whether they're 'drops', but nonetheless the story of the passing game was missed opportunities, as opposed to bad reads, which is encouraing to me.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Steve - can you throw up Russell Wilson's from yesterday.

He was 49% on the day. I'm curious to compare.

I can't geto n Next Gen's site on my work computer, it's blocked. Thanks if you can!
    You bet.

Lot more shots deep that didn't work out due to weather and our secondary playing surprisingly well overall. Honestly, this is a spread pattern that I'd aspire our passing attack to look like, with a few less attempts taken out due to big gains from Lamar when available.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    You bet.

Lot more shots deep that didn't work out due to weather and our secondary playing surprisingly well overall. Honestly, this is a spread pattern that I'd aspire our passing attack to look like, with a few less attempts taken out due to big gains from Lamar when available.
    I'd have to see his weekly, but I imagine there's more deep shots. They run an AC offense, we run a WCO. Crazy how often he throws to the boundary though.

That was one thing our corners did a godo job of, they ran them out of bounds a lot and used the sideline as an extra defender.
    - Ray Lewis

I'd have to see his weekly, but I imagine there's more deep shots. They run an AC offense, we run a WCO. Crazy how often he throws to the boundary though.

That was one thing our corners did a godo job of, they ran them out of bounds a lot and used the sideline as an extra defender.
    Probably not a surprise, but I'm not the biggest fan of the WCO. There is a happy medium between the extremes of the dink and dunk version of the WCO and the 7 step drop vertical AC. Wilson very regularly throws deep and to the boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    Probably not a surprise, but I'm not the biggest fan of the WCO. There is a happy medium between the extremes of the dink and dunk version of the WCO and the 7 step drop vertical AC. Wilson very regularly throws deep and to the boundaries.
    Gotta love their offense. It fits their pass catchers very well too.
    - Ray Lewis

Gotta love their offense. It fits their pass catchers very well too.
    Agreed. Another burner with Boykin and Hollywood, and perhaps that's something we should consider as well. Never made sense why we moved to a WCO with a strong armed QB and then kept signing burner type receivers. So much of what makes Lamar dangerous is increased by stretching the field vertically and horizontally. If we ran the same general routes as Seattle did today, I'd imagine Lamar would be close to uncovered every single play. Keeping everything close to the LOS and rarely to occasionally going deep makes it that much harder to use him to the extent of his abilities.