Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are You Concerned?!

Are any of you concerned with the fact that the owner and president of the team 'sacked' the coach, rather than letting Ozzie make that decision; certainly, the owner can do what he wants, but isn't this a little like how the warehouse operates. Are any of you concerned with the fact that neither Jim Schwartz, nor Marty, (nor Russ Grim) have been called in yet for an interview?! Are any of you concerned with the apparent perception around the league that the Baltimore Ravens look like a 'trainwreck', as evidenced by the fact that the OC of the Browns would rather remain as an OC, rather than interview for the HC job of the Ravens? Are any of you concerned with what the next five years will bring, what with our aging veterans ready to retire, and no certainty regarding the stability of our next HC?! I AM!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Re: Are You Concerned?!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Are any of you concerned with the fact that the owner and president of the team 'sacked' the coach, rather than letting Ozzie make that decision; certainly, the owner can do what he wants, but isn't this a little like how the warehouse operates.
    It could be spin, but Bisciotti said he was constantly asking both Dick Cass and Ozzie for their input. Both claimed to have supported the decision to fire Brian. It could be false, but Ozzie didn't come out and say anything, so there's no way to know. Bisciotti is going to be a hands-off owner, but he also isn't going to let his "business" (aka the Team) go down the pipes. While I think I would've kept Brian around for another year, I also agree with the decision to fire him, it was time for a change.

Are any of you concerned with the fact that neither Jim Schwartz, nor Marty, (nor Russ Grim) have been called in yet for an interview?!
    CHILL! Marty, for whatever reason, said he didn't want to be brought in until the second round of interviews. Whether that was to give him more time or to push Brian Schottenheimer's chances, I don't know. Jim Schwartz just hasn't been scheduled yet, I think we'll bring him in for a look, but if we don't, I don't think it's the end of the world. He's an intriguing prospect, but it's not like he'd be a slam dunk coach in the NFL, he has just as many ? marks as a lot of coaching prospects. Russ Grimm, something odd must be going on with him. NO OTHER team has brought him in for an interview, which either tells me he isn't interested in any of the teams (That would be a slap in the face of the Redskins if that turns out to be true) or his ideas just aren't meshing with team brass around the league.

Are any of you concerned with the apparent perception around the league that the Baltimore Ravens look like a 'trainwreck', as evidenced by the fact that the OC of the Browns would rather remain as an OC, rather than interview for the HC job of the Ravens?
    I was VERY glad when he signed an extension...He had one year of success, and no one else was considering him for a job. He signed an extension because Cleveland threw money at him, and I laughed because he was never a serious candidate here, except maybe if we could steal him as OC. I don't think we look like a "trainwreck", we've certainly not had many other coaches turn us down, aside from Cowher, McDaniels, and Ferentz, who turned ALL the NFL down.

Are any of you concerned with what the next five years will bring, what with our aging veterans ready to retire, and no certainty regarding the stability of our next HC?! I AM!
    It's called the draft. Over the past 2-3 drafts, about all but 2 of the players we got are on this team and most are making an impact. With the exception of the 2004 draft, of which only Dwan Edwards and Devard Darling remain, most of our draft picks go on to fill our depth. And let's not forget that we can find pretty good UDFAs too. We're slowly replacing some of our aging talent, look at our OL. Next year, we're likely going to see Terry, Brown, Chester, Grubbs, and Yanda. The OLDEST player is Terry or Brown, and that's still only 3-4 years in the league! We have several young WRs, a young RB, several LB prospects who could start to make big contributions next year...The only retirees I see for next year are Ogden (which we've been planning for), Flynn (which we've been hoping for), and possibly Derrick Mason (which would hurt but D-Will and DVD can step up) and maybe Samari Rolle (though nothing has indicated he would retire).

Dude, just RELAX. We fired our coach 2 and a half weeks ago. I'd be more scared if we just hired the first guy who came in for an interview. This tells me were serious about finding the person that is PERFECT for the job.

Nice post; but we'll see how all of this unfolds! I've got some bad vibes about all of this - I guess it's because of what has happened to the other sports team in town! I'm fearful that a football decision will be made by non-football people, and that spells disaster! Bisciotti may be well-intentioned; but football is all about xs and os, and I'm just not real confident that someone who understands that football games are won in the trenches will be brought in to fix this mess!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

My God ...

Decaf, my friend. It will do you wonders.

It took a month to get Bilick signed when he got here. We're in great shape.

And what train-wreck perception? Maybe that's what they are saying on the rumor filled WNST but in the real world, the Ravens are considered the most desirable option for a future head coach.

Maybe valium is in order along with the decaf.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We fired our coach 2 and a half weeks ago.
    Uhh ... A math lesson is in order. ;)

I hear you; but Ozzie is responsible for overseeing the football end of things, and I don't believe unloading Billick was HIS decision, (even though the owner can do whatever he wants). Ozzie apparently agreed; but then what was he supposed to do. Hopefully, we're not heading down a dangerous slope here; only time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.

Ravenjoe, the only thing that troubled me was the firing of the HC apparently originated from the owner's office, and not Ozzie's.

They'll find a good coach. And as much as I like Jim Schwartz as my #1 choice, if they choose not to hire him, or if they choose not even to interview Marty, I am *sure* they have their reasons. Remember coaches and gm's spend almost all the time behind proverbial closed doors, and our FO will research each candidate from head to toe, with access to behind-the-scenes stuff, before the final decision is made.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm pretty confident the Ravens will select the coach that gives them the best chance to win.
    On Sunday countdown this past Sunday, the analysts were asked to pick the best HC job available, and while two picked Miami (because Parcells was there), two picked Baltimore. No one mentioned a "train wreck" with regards to the Ravens.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

It's only been 10 days since Billick was fired. While some of the candidates they've brought in have been somewhat of a head-scratcher (B. Schottenheimer), it's still very early. I wouldn't expect an announcement until after the Super Bowl.

What I'm concerned about is that Cowher, in todays Sun article, says no one from Baltimore has contacted him about the job. I know he's denied wanting to coach in 08, but shouldn't they at least contact his agent to try to throw some money his way to change his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    It's only been 10 days since Billick was fired. While some of the candidates they've brought in have been somewhat of a head-scratcher (B. Schottenheimer), it's still very early. I wouldn't expect an announcement until after the Super Bowl.

What I'm concerned about is that Cowher, in todays Sun article, says no one from Baltimore has contacted him about the job. I know he's denied wanting to coach in 08, but shouldn't they at least contact his agent to try to throw some money his way to change his mind?
    NO!!!!

Maybe the Ravens actually believe Cowher when he says he's not interested. Actually, I'm not interested in him as a Ravens coach either. It took him 15 years to bring a Lombardi to Pittsburgh.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Ravenjoe,

I understand your concerns, because we are so use to the media filling us in every time someone sneezes over at Owings Mills. Unfortunately, this is one time when loose lips, sink ships. They are more organized over there then we give them credit for. For all of my criticisms of Ozzie, I do believe he has a calming effect on the organization, and that they have a process in place, similar to the draft. I would suggest that you read Mike Duffy's article on BaltimoreRavens.com. It explains in detail why the Ravens are being so quiet about the hiring process. If you read between the lines, there may have been other candidates interviewed that we, the public, are unaware of. They may have also have conducted some web cam interviews or teleconferencing interviews with candidates that they are familar with. That is how business is conducted in the 21st century. The NFL is a small world. Everybody knows someone who knows somebody else. It's not like these people are total strangers.

I know its hard, but we have to relax. I guarantee you that they will have someone in place in 30-45 days. They have to. The draft and free agency is around the corner and the new coach will have to haveto assemble a staff of assistants. There is plenty of work to do. Have a glass of wine. Cheers!