Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No More Short Kickoffs

I don’t see the logic of the short kickoffs. The best we will get out of it is a few yards of field position and the downside risk is what we got today . The risk seems to be way too high for the minor potential reward especially when Tucker can virtually guarantee that the opponent will never return one any closer than the 25.

Re: No More Short Kickoffs

That was just a bad kickoff. Putting the kick around the 1 or 2 yard line is the best since you can get holding penalties and you'll likely prevent them from getting to the 25. Can't let it burning you once prevent you from doing something that works out the majority of the time.

Even if Tucker kicked it perfectly, the lane integrity by the coverage team was horrible and we paid for it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2019

Going into this week, we were by far the best team in the NFL on Special Teams by doing what we do. Mistakes happen every once in a while, but the numbers say we're doing the right thing. The important part of analytics is that you don't let yourself get emotional over something going bad every once in a while, because even analytics say that can happen. Overall you get a better net gain by playing smart football by the numbers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don’t see the logic of the short kickoffs. The best we will get out of it is a few yards of field position and the downside risk is what we got today . The risk seems to be way too high for the minor potential reward especially when Tucker can virtually guarantee that the opponent will never return one any closer than the 25.
    I agree and I wish we would also take a touchback when receiving kickoffs unless the kick is way short and you have to field it. Nothing wrong with starting at the 25 yard line. Less chance of penalties and injuries. What do the analytics say John?

Blog Entries

They were giving teams fits with it earlier. Bad coverage on this one but they overcame it

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

7. Re: No More Short Kickoffs

It worked to perfection against the Steelers. Tomlin even said that is why they deferred in the OT bc they couldnt get it to the 25.

Today first kick was just a bad day for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I agree and I wish we would also take a touchback when receiving kickoffs unless the kick is way short and you have to field it. Nothing wrong with starting at the 25 yard line. Less chance of penalties and injuries. What do the analytics say John?
    The analytics say that the shorter kickoffs are the way to go, given the link I posted showed we are by far #1 in the league on Kickoff returns. Thats of course factoring in stuff like holds and all that push the other team back to the 10 yard line to start as well.

That kick was short AND low. That’s not what Tucker did last week when he was pinning the Steelers deep by giving his kicks lots of hang time.

Blog Entries

Coach Harbaugh is trying to gain any and every advantage for his defense. He knows that the defense is shaky. I can’t blame him for that, because of one play. This is taking full advantage of a Kicker like Tucker and getting your moneys worth out of your coverage unit. It has worked well. Today it didn’t, but I wouldn’t deviate from it until it becomes a pattern.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-or-not-return

Some data from last year showed that if a team returns a kick, the average field position (including TD run backs) is the 24 yard line. And that assumes an average kicker, someone like Tucker is better than average at kicking it in the right spot to prevent run backs. So yeah, analytics say you let them run it back and take what happens instead of playing it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    It worked to perfection against the Steelers. Tomlin even said that is why they deferred in the OT bc they couldnt get it to the 25.

Today first kick was just a bad day for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    This. I'm good with keeping it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk