Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Re: Honest talk - Lamar Jackson

As a Steelers fan I really enjoy watching Jackson I have to say, I like his playing style and attitude. He already is a great football player. He isn't a great QB yet imo, but he's only 22 and making progress. I'm thrilled and anxious at the same time to see how he will evolve.

Every Sunday I watch at least 2 games with a friend who's a Ravens fan and last Sunday we discussed the QB situation in the league and we came to the conclusion that there are only a few very good young QB's. Once the old farts like Brady, Brees,... hang it up the league is left with Rodgers (and he's almost 36), Wilson, Newton (will he ever get healthy again), Ryan, Stafford and a lot of young guns of which Mahomes and Watson are the only sure franchise QB's. Then you have Jackson and Brissett who look promising and after them the likes of Darnold, Josh and Kyle Allen, Minshew and so on who might have good careers but don't look like franchise QB's.

When Lamar Jackson has 10+ carries the Ravens are 9-1.

and 1-3 when he has less then 10 carries.

Don't handicap him.

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    As a Steelers fan I really enjoy watching Jackson I have to say, I like his playing style and attitude. He already is a great football player. He isn't a great QB yet imo, but he's only 22 and making progress. I'm thrilled and anxious at the same time to see how he will evolve.
    It's disconcerting to have to be nice to a Steelers fan.

Welcome to the board. Nice post.

Looks like Devlin Hodges can play a little bit. Maybe better than Mason Rudolph.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post

Don't handicap him.
    Quoted for importance.,,. This seems obvious to me, but... I have read many here disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Sunday I watch at least 2 games with a friend who's a Ravens fan and last Sunday we discussed the QB situation in the league and we came to the conclusion that there are only a few very good young QB's. Once the old farts like Brady, Brees,... hang it up the league is left with Rodgers (and he's almost 36), Wilson, Newton (will he ever get healthy again), Ryan, Stafford and a lot of young guns of which Mahomes and Watson are the only sure franchise QB's. Then you have Jackson and Brissett who look promising and after them the likes of Darnold, Josh and Kyle Allen, Minshew and so on who might have good careers but don't look like franchise QB's.
    Where would you place Wentz, Goff, Dak... those are the tough ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    It's disconcerting to have to be nice to a Steelers fan.

Welcome to the board. Nice post.

Looks like Devlin Hodges can play a little bit. Maybe better than Mason Rudolph.
    Thanks!

We'll see how Hodges and Rudolph fare in the future once the playbook will be opened for them. The only thing the Steelers have done the last 4 games is short passes to mainly the RB's, making sure they wouldn't make mistakes. That may work a while but opposing coaches will figure that out quickly. Hodges was 15/20 Sunday, but 0/4 on passes over 10 yards with 1 interception.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Where would you place Wentz, Goff, Dak... those are the tough ones.

Damn, I hoped nobody would ask that
    I consider Wentz a franchise QB once he prooves he's able to play a full season. But that's still a big if. Goff is for me more a product of the system installed by an excellent coach. Once that system fails like in the SB, Goff looks completely lost. Prescott is the hardest one for me, I just don't know where to put him. Sometimes he has great games, but he's too inconsistent imo.

Damn, I hoped nobody would ask that
    I consider Wentz a franchise QB once he prooves he's able to play a full season. But that's still a big if. Goff is for me more a product of the system installed by an excellent coach. Once that system fails like in the SB, Goff looks completely lost. Prescott is the hardest one for me, I just don't know where to put him. Sometimes he has great games, but he's too inconsistent imo.
    Dak is Flacco...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Dak is Flacco...

The mobile version

The mobile version
    Flacco was pretty Mobil as a young player. Dak is more so, yes...

LJ missed Snead for an easy TD but I put that more on Snead not running the route. LJ still thinks in full speed only mode. WR often work to open areas and almost stop create bigger openings as defenders over run the okay. But Snead was wrong yesterday to slow down. By doing so he was allowing a defender to make up ground. Best thing to do when you get open is to continue running your route. That’s what the qb expects.

His play, LJ, has been very good this year. Sees the whole field, reads coverage well, can make tight throws most of the times, fearless when running but being smart when he takes hits. A few fans will complain about his TD dive but contact was all in the air. Few injuries result in contact when you are diving like that. You get knocked off course but not crushed by multiple hits coming from different directions. I’ve been impressed with his ability to not take hard hits.

Our games we lost were when 98 was out and we could not stop the run and in KC against a fairly healthy team which should be the two seed. Play them today and it might be a different score. Our defense is getting depleted on the backend by injuries. Nothing we can do about it. Hope JSmith returns by the Pats game and stays healthy the rest of the year. Or over pay in a trade for Db help.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post

Don't handicap him.
    ^ This............................It is that frickin' simple. The Ravens offense is infinitely more potent when Lamar is being Lamar. To me it is insane to not utilize the strength of the most gifted athlete on the field for either team most games just because his position is QB and he isn't "supposed" to play that way. As far as I'm concerned, if it's there, take it. If that's 25 times a game or 6 times a game let 'er rip. You don't drive a Lamborghini 35 mph in the slow lane because you're concerned about getting a scratch on it. If you really watch Lamar closely, he's pretty damn good at avoiding big hits. To think ANY player is going to avoid them all in a game like football is unrealistic.