Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Honest talk - Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    Jackson will always have one prejudice (and it's not racial) hanging over his head regardless of how well he does-"running quarterbacks are flashy but don't win the big one". And I wonder if that's true, myself at times. You old-timers remember how they knocked Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton for not winning the "big one" because he was a running QB.Guy got into 3 or 4 Super Bowls and never won. For craps' sake, if you get that far 3 or 4 times you HAVE to be a winner.
    Roger Staubach and Steve Young were running QBs.

Boom, discussion over.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    Jackson will always have one prejudice (and it's not racial) hanging over his head regardless of how well he does-"running quarterbacks are flashy but don't win the big one". And I wonder if that's true, myself at times. You old-timers remember how they knocked Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton for not winning the "big one" because he was a running QB.Guy got into 3 or 4 Super Bowls and never won. For craps' sake, if you get that far 3 or 4 times you HAVE to be a winner.
    Depends on how we define running QB's. To me, a QB like Vick would be considered a runner because at least five seasons in his career he ran the ball over a hundred times. Guys who could run but had a lot more passing attempts than rushing attempts such as McNabb, Young, or Elway I don't think of as running QB's.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    Won’t ever forget what Joe brought us. Some very special moments.

He also brought us some of the worst single game QB ratings of all time and we stuck by him.

LJ is special and he’s the future. Just embrace it and hang on for the ride.

He’s also a stand up guy. What’s not to love?
    Joe had several amazing and also dumbfounding performances during his time in Baltimore. Joe helped bring us the Super Bowl 47 victory and exciting wins against NE and Pittsburgh. For me the last few seasons at the stadium with Joe, the games were boring and there were so many three and outs that the defense was back on the field in a flash. To me Lamar Jackson has energized the feeling in the stadium and I am supporting him every game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    Winning changes everything. They'd be fine with Flacco if he squeezed out two more wins.
    He did, the defense gave them away. One in a minute and a half. One in half that time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Mahomes last year was a year older than Lamar is.

Ok.
    Yet, no one is going to expect or say that Lamar will have the type of season next year that Mahomes had last year. Which is why I don’t get people using his age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    You seriously have to wonder if there's a non football related factor that generates some of this Lamar hate. Hmmm, I wonder what that could be???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Here we go with this again.

Blog Entries

I will say this, Lamar is by far, the main reason why there’s excitement in this offense. It’s not a complicated offense. Lamar’s threat to run sparks everything. That’s what tests the patience of the defense.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 10-14-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries

If the offense didn’t play the way it did in that playoff game, feelings would be different. Doubters started getting excited and then that playoff game happened, where with about ten minutes left in the fourth, he had negative passing yards.

Meanwhile, a week later, New England does nothing special. Over 80% of Brady’s throws traveled ten yards or less through the air. They basically ran man power and quasi-checkdowned the Chargers to death. The game was over before the end of the first. With the Chargers running the same defense.

That is not all on Lamar. It was his first playoff game. But a few of those sacks made the line look worse (If possible), because he was hesitant to hit open guys.

Now, to the OTHER issue, maybe even the biggest issue. Who was the Head Coach overseeing all of that? He’s still here. Who was the run game coordinator? He’s still here. And for all of that talk that Marty was in control of that, this looks like last year’s offense with a few more bells and whistles.

There’s nothing revolutionary about it. Which is why the Chargers played it tough the first time and had it completely figured out the second time.

Now, the Ravens have a chance to make the playoffs again. If they lose yet another playoff game and Jackson is viewed as a culprit. It’s going to get worse.

That really pissed a lot of people off. The team talks about making this big push for the playoffs and how it’s all about this season. People then spend hundreds, of not thousands of dollars to travel to the playoff game and they suddenly are treating it like an experience game. Then, have legends of the team calling for Flacco, a small fraction of fans calling for Flacco and the rest of the stadium just calling for a different approach. Which we don’t get until way late, only for Mr. Jimmy Smith to call those same fans fair weather, and for Brady to basically do what everyone criticized ‘Checkdown Joe’ for doing, and that game was over before halftime.

So here we go again with a good start to the season during the more comfortable part of the schedule. Let’s see just how much they’ve grown in this seven game stretch, because unlike last year, they don’t face the five worst run defenses. In fact, they don’t face any of them in the next seven. All seven are in the top half of the league in run defense. Three are in the top five.

So let’s just see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He did, the defense gave them away. One in a minute and a half. One in half that time.
    Yes! I recall those games and expressing concern that the Ravens offense left too much time on the clock for the opposing QB after the Ravens scored the go ahead points. The most painful for me was the Pittsburgh game. The Steelers driving with no timeouts and less than 10 seconds. Big Ben threw the pass to Antonio Brown who stretched the ball over the goal line with multiple Raven defenders draped on him. That game is hard to forget!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    Yes! I recall those games and expressing concern that the Ravens offense left too much time on the clock for the opposing QB after the Ravens scored the go ahead points. The most painful for me was the Pittsburgh game. The Steelers driving with no timeouts and less than 10 seconds. Big Ben threw the pass to Antonio Brown who stretched the ball over the goal line with multiple Raven defenders draped on him. That game is hard to forget!
    Lol. Oh dag, I was talking about Denver this year lmao!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I will say this, Lamar is by far, the main reason why there’s excitement in this offense. It’s not a complicated offense. Lamar’s threat to run sparks everything. That’s what tests the patience of the defense.
    Ex, you :

LJ is the nucleus of excitement. Adding guys around him like Hollywood, Andrews, Ingram, etc. is the icing on the cake... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    Lol the Sunday Night Football guys on NBC have no idea what they're talking about.

Tony Dungy: "He's only about 190lbs, he can't take the hits of a 220lb running back. He needs to learn to get out of bounds."

Chris Simms: "I have no idea how he hasn't had a major injury yet, he's constantly getting hit on every run."

Do they even watch the games?
    Yeah, I caught that too.

But the simple answer is no, they don’t watch the games. It’s not physically possible. When they hit the air at 7:00 they have had six hours to watch a dozen games. That’s 36 hours of football. Even if they watched the games condensed it would be 12 hours. Just can’t do it.

So they see what we have seen of all the non-Ravens games: highlights.

And yes, Lamar took more big hits yesterday than he has all year. But the vast majority of his runs he went out of bounds or went down to avoid a hit. Tony Dungy has no way of knowing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."