Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Patriots - best defense?

I don't understand the complaints about the Patriots schedule. The teams they play are have been predetermined many years in advance. Like the Ravens, they play the division winner from the South and West. Theoretically, the Bills, Jets and Dolphins should have easier schedules (expect having to play the Patriots). It's not Bill Belichicks fault that Miami and NYJ have forever sucked.

Blog Entries

So who are the dominant pass rushers on the Patriots? The ancient Michael Bennett? The now well traveled former Raven John Simon?

They really don't have any. The Patriots have done a brilliant job of getting coverage sacks from their interior players. The scheme is the star and it's really working for them. The best way to attack that defense has to be on the ground. Force the secondary to play forward to stop the run and then you have a shot. If you can't do that then you're going to have a tough time breaking that press coverage

Blog Entries

Belichick was showing one look then they would change right before snap. Also they played completely different looks one game from quarter to quarter.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I don't know how you could even argue at this point.

Average PA after 6 games is 8 and first in turnovers. Who's gonna stop them from continuing to win superbowls?
    No one has stopped them in all these years so why would we expect anyone to stop them now?

As long as they have Bellichick and Brady theres no stopping them. They are just that damn good... at finding ways to cheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're making that system work getting good minutes from 3 former Ravens (Guy, Brooks, Simon). It all comes down to scheme and putting players in the best position based on their abilities. The schedule has been quite friendly to them, but they've looked beatable. Problem is they'll ride this to a bye and most likely homefield throughout, or at very least up until AFCCG.

Look at who they have played though? The Steelers were in complete disarray when they played the Patriots and Big Ben was dealing with his elbow injury.

Dolphins, Redskins, Bills and the Giants. That is probably 4 of the worst offenses in the league.

Oh and they get the Jets next.

Their schedule is a complete joke year after year. They have a stretch coming up of Browns, Us, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans and Chiefs. The complete opposite of how easy their early season was.

If they are still at or even near that PPG after that stretch, then we can anoint them as the best defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    They're making that system work getting good minutes from 3 former Ravens (Guy, Brooks, Simon). It all comes down to scheme and putting players in the best position based on their abilities. The schedule has been quite friendly to them, but they've looked beatable. Problem is they'll ride this to a bye and most likely homefield throughout, or at very least up until AFCCG.
    I would say they have the smartest and most disciplined defense which is a good start to becoming the best defense. My guess is they also don't have many "communication issues"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So who are the dominant pass rushers on the Patriots? The ancient Michael Bennett? The now well traveled former Raven John Simon?
    Remember Jamie Collins? And a 3rd draft pick that played for Jon’s bro

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post

Which raises an interesting question of how they would do the schedule if they switch to 17 games.
    This is off the original topic, but it is an interesting question. I have two ideas. The easy one is to just rotate one other division in the opposite conference where you match first-place vs first, second vs second, etc. So this year, we are playing the NFCW, but we could have one game against the first place finisher in one of the other three NFC divisions, and rotate that every year.

A more interesting idea: since each team will be guaranteed one neutral site game, make those neutral site games match the first place vs second place, and then third vs fourth, of each division. So you'd have a third game against one divisional rival, and it would be played on a neutral field. Should drive a good amount of interest and revenue for those neutral site games. So based on last year's standings, we would have one more game against the Steelers, and the Browns would play the Bengals one more time.
    "Chin up, chest out."

They can't control who they play, they can only control what they are supposed to do against those that they do.

And they absolutely have been terrific this year and are really good defensively no matter who they've played. We all know Belichick is a fucking genius, but he's getting a ton out of what he has defensively. I remember watching JC Jackson a lot at MD and while I thought he had a chance to be an ok NFL player, I'm stunned by just how good he's been...they got a steal with that kid. It's crazy, I remember an article or 2 about the way he drafts and one year I think an ex scout said while most teams have 200-300 draftable players, NE typically has 75. And no that's not a typo. Hoodie gets a ton out of the player he has.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Lol @ people listing the Browns as a team who'll test them

Other than the Bills, the Pats other 5 opponents are currently a combined 3-21. Three of those teams (Fins, Skins, Jets) are winless. But the defense is still very good, certainly enough to offset any slippage in Brady's play. The road to the SB will likely go through Foxborough. Again.