Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What’s wrong with our Defense??

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I feel like we have lots of threads about the defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    We have 39 players under contract next year with about $60 million in cap space.

I’d expect Stanley to get done in the offseason and reset the LT market. So about $17 million a year.

So just going by the AAV (I know Stanley’s contract can be structured to lower the cap hit) we would have around $43 million to fill in the remaining 14 guys. About $3 million per player. Obviously there will be a bunch of lower end guys not making that as well as guys over that.

Simply don’t think we can afford a Clowney who is having a great year and may get more than Stanley on the open market. And if we do swing for Clowney, that means the rest of the players we would need to sign would be replacement level guys.

I think this team needs all the draft picks we can possibly get and move up high in the draft for an impactful pass rusher. We need one desperately.

I don’t think we find one in the high teens/early 20’s.

OLB and MLB. Actually the middle of our defense is in shambles at the moment. We could use a replacement at almost every position.
    Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing....

I truly believe that the coaches “heard the noise” this offseason from the media and fans.

That this organization has had success with letting guys get overpaid in free agency and replacing them with drafted guys.

This year they simply attempted to do it again but we lost a couple very good football players and replaced them with JAG’s. And it’s showing every Sunday.
    Exactly, they saw ZDS as another Kruger. That was a situation we won massively as we got his best years on rookie money and let him walk for big money only to struggle out of our system.

They also trusted Orr as a former UDFA to start and many fans thought it wouldn't work out, he was arguably better than CJ in 2016. They saw Peanut in that mold and thought he could thrive in a bigger role if CJ got a crazy offer...

Ravens rarely let players walk and get burned, this time they did

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.
    Rub salt in the wound why don't you?

We have 39 players under contract next year with about $60 million in cap space.

I’d expect Stanley to get done in the offseason and reset the LT market. So about $17 million a year.

So just going by the AAV (I know Stanley’s contract can be structured to lower the cap hit) we would have around $43 million to fill in the remaining 14 guys. About $3 million per player. Obviously there will be a bunch of lower end guys not making that as well as guys over that.

Simply don’t think we can afford a Clowney who is having a great year and may get more than Stanley on the open market. And if we do swing for Clowney, that means the rest of the players we would need to sign would be replacement level guys.

I think this team needs all the draft picks we can possibly get and move up high in the draft for an impactful pass rusher. We need one desperately.

I don’t think we find one in the high teens/early 20’s.

OLB and MLB. Actually the middle of our defense is in shambles at the moment. We could use a replacement at almost every position.
    I think they can do more than just resign Stanley. Remember Stanley is already slotted to make 12.9 mil in 2020, so I don't think he'll have a $17 mil cap hit on top of that ($30 mil total).

They start with 39 players under contract with about $60 mil in space.

- I don't know what the team is going to do about Tony Jefferson's injury but they'd save $7 mil by cutting him.
    - Robert Griffin saves $2 mil if Trace McSorley is ready to be QB2.
    - Justin Bethel might already be cut before this season is over.

They will be one of the better teams in cap shape in 2020. For a team that's not tanking anyway. Baltimore is currently 10th in the NFL on the projected list, about $15 mil better than league average and with more players under contract than five of the teams listed above them.

They have plenty of cap to sign 2-3 significant free agents. They'll have to draft well on top of that, of course, and existing draft picks like Jaylon Ferguson and DeShon Ellliott need to earn more PT and play well.

Blog Entries

shaq barr...oops too late ET got that money LOL

Back in the day Ozzie doesn’t miss on so many second and third round draft picks who will never be starter material. Time to pay the pauper now you can’t build a defense signing street free agents during the season, count on depth players to be starters, and whiff on big money free agents. Of course you can only sustain so many injuries to key players as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.
    Yup. It's the pass rush or lack of pass rush. If you can't pressure the QB you can't stop the pass. It's that simple.

Blog Entries

It's all already been posted (Shrubbsy started with a spot-on post), so I'll add that it seems DeCosta is getting our $alary Cap in order so we can move on to create a Super Bowl contender within the next few years. As long as he keeps drafting well I believe he can accomplish his mission... Bc

Losing starters and the new players still have to adjust.

Bad drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    It's all already been posted (Shrubbsy started with a spot-on post), so I'll add that it seems DeCosta is getting our $alary Cap in order so we can move on to create a Super Bowl contender within the next few years.
    This.

We had some bad deals, and some badly-structured deals. And remember we still have a cap hit for Flacco this season. DeCosta is getting us on sounder cap footing, which will help us be competitive in the next several years.
    (At least until Lamar comes off his rookie deal )

It's a worthwhile pursuit, even if a move DeCosta doesn't make this season winds up costing us a playoff spot.