Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What’s wrong with our Defense??

Ok RSR Family....I figured since we have like a zillion threads about Lamar or the Offense why don’t we have a thread about the Achilles Heel of this team ...the Defense?!

Strange as it sounds ...this D isn’t your’s and mine. We no longer are Top 10 and feared league wide? Why? Is it players? Coach? Scheme? Injury? A little of all of it?

I think the coach is very good. The scheme may be a little complex ? That leads me to players. Maybe Wink needs guys with a higher Football IQ? We had that last year with Suggs, Weddle, and Mosley. I think ET has it for sure and Hump is right there ( still has a few brain farts ). But that’s it IMHO.
    Everyone else is a place holder. Decent to good player but not a leader. This is where we need to improve and I don’t see how we do this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What’s wrong with our Defense??

I think it's really simple.

We lost 5 starters in Free Agency (Mosley, Urban, Weddle, Z. Smith, Suggs)

We lost 4 starters to injury (T. Young, J. Smith, Jefferson, B. Williams)

And guys we hoped would take the next step in their development clearly did not (Expecting Peanut to be a MIKE, K. Young, Board, T. Williams, Bowser, Averett, Henry)

It's just too much to overcome. If we can get a stud or two in free agency, have some of our young dart throws actually develop (ie Daylon Mack, Chris Board, DeShon Elliot, Kenny Young, Anthony Averett) and maybe even get early returns on an early 2020 pick I think this turns right around.

But looking at the turnover and the history of the guys we were hoping could replace them, I think it's very clearly just a talent issue. The scheme is fine, we had the #1 defense last year, we just lost all the horses.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post

And guys we hoped would take the next step in their development clearly did not (Expecting Peanut to be a MIKE, K. Young, Board, T. Williams, Bowser, Averett, Henry)

It's just too much to overcome. If we can get a stud or two in free agency, have some of our young dart throws actually develop (ie Daylon Mack, Chris Board, DeShon Elliot, Kenny Young, Anthony Averett) and maybe even get early returns on an early 2020 pick I think this turns right around.

But looking at the turnover and the history of the guys we were hoping could replace them, I think it's very clearly just a talent issue. The scheme is fine, we had the #1 defense last year, we just lost all the horses.
    Expertly explained.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.

Losing key pieces from last year really hurt in terms of being set on defense but no one could make a play plus barely any pass rush. z smith was decent but no real big interior rush. missed draft picks are catching up. hopefully Decosta can build the defense like the offense in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.
    I like the way you think sometimes Jimmy!

I feel like we have lots of threads about the defense?

No pass rush is the main culprit. Both interior and edge pressure is abysmal. Loss of Suggs and ZDS and we never replaced them. They tried to get Houston to replace ZDS but he chose Indy. They hoped McPhee would replace Suggs to an extent and they also missed out on Gerald McCoy to bring some juice to iDL.

EDC tried in FA, just couldn't land the guys he wanted. Paying ZDS made no sense at the time but he's looked like a stud in GB so in hindsight I wish we did. We tried to retain Siz and counted on him being back..

Then the ILB play has been terrible. Again, Jets way overpayed for CJ but we miss him big time. I think both sides regret not agreeing to an extension before he hit market. We hit a home run with Orr a few years ago and thought Peanut would have the same impact.

We made the smart moves at the time, many of them just didn't bounce our way.

Need a serious infusion talent and experience.

We have 39 players under contract next year with about $60 million in cap space.

I’d expect Stanley to get done in the offseason and reset the LT market. So about $17 million a year.

So just going by the AAV (I know Stanley’s contract can be structured to lower the cap hit) we would have around $43 million to fill in the remaining 14 guys. About $3 million per player. Obviously there will be a bunch of lower end guys not making that as well as guys over that.

Simply don’t think we can afford a Clowney who is having a great year and may get more than Stanley on the open market. And if we do swing for Clowney, that means the rest of the players we would need to sign would be replacement level guys.

I think this team needs all the draft picks we can possibly get and move up high in the draft for an impactful pass rusher. We need one desperately.

I don’t think we find one in the high teens/early 20’s.

OLB and MLB. Actually the middle of our defense is in shambles at the moment. We could use a replacement at almost every position.

Another thing....

I truly believe that the coaches “heard the noise” this offseason from the media and fans.

That this organization has had success with letting guys get overpaid in free agency and replacing them with drafted guys.

This year they simply attempted to do it again but we lost a couple very good football players and replaced them with JAG’s. And it’s showing every Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post

I agree 100 Shrubbsy. Although I don’t think the likes of BWill and TJ really impact us that much.

I think guys like Board , T Will( gone) and even Bowser are a waste and will be roster fillers or gone next year.

There’s no quick fix in my eyes. FA and the Draft have to prioritize IOL AND Defense. Front to back too. To me we need help from the DLine to the back end. The fall off from our starters to the back up is steep!

Now ignoring FA ( since we don’t know who’s gonna be there and for what price ) in the Draft I say build from the inside out. We did the opposite on Offense and it’s work ok but still a need at Oline. Defense I’d go Interior pass rush, Edge Rusher , MLB , edge setting OLB then quality DB.

I do like Winks scheme. I think ET can have a “re-birth” here on the back end with this scheme.