Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What’s wrong with our Defense??

Ok RSR Family....I figured since we have like a zillion threads about Lamar or the Offense why don’t we have a thread about the Achilles Heel of this team ...the Defense?!

Strange as it sounds ...this D isn’t your’s and mine. We no longer are Top 10 and feared league wide? Why? Is it players? Coach? Scheme? Injury? A little of all of it?

I think the coach is very good. The scheme may be a little complex ? That leads me to players. Maybe Wink needs guys with a higher Football IQ? We had that last year with Suggs, Weddle, and Mosley. I think ET has it for sure and Hump is right there ( still has a few brain farts ). But that’s it IMHO.
    Everyone else is a place holder. Decent to good player but not a leader. This is where we need to improve and I don’t see how we do this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What’s wrong with our Defense??

I think it's really simple.

We lost 5 starters in Free Agency (Mosley, Urban, Weddle, Z. Smith, Suggs)

We lost 4 starters to injury (T. Young, J. Smith, Jefferson, B. Williams)

And guys we hoped would take the next step in their development clearly did not (Expecting Peanut to be a MIKE, K. Young, Board, T. Williams, Bowser, Averett, Henry)

It's just too much to overcome. If we can get a stud or two in free agency, have some of our young dart throws actually develop (ie Daylon Mack, Chris Board, DeShon Elliot, Kenny Young, Anthony Averett) and maybe even get early returns on an early 2020 pick I think this turns right around.

But looking at the turnover and the history of the guys we were hoping could replace them, I think it's very clearly just a talent issue. The scheme is fine, we had the #1 defense last year, we just lost all the horses.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post

And guys we hoped would take the next step in their development clearly did not (Expecting Peanut to be a MIKE, K. Young, Board, T. Williams, Bowser, Averett, Henry)

It's just too much to overcome. If we can get a stud or two in free agency, have some of our young dart throws actually develop (ie Daylon Mack, Chris Board, DeShon Elliot, Kenny Young, Anthony Averett) and maybe even get early returns on an early 2020 pick I think this turns right around.

But looking at the turnover and the history of the guys we were hoping could replace them, I think it's very clearly just a talent issue. The scheme is fine, we had the #1 defense last year, we just lost all the horses.
    Expertly explained.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post

I agree 100 Shrubbsy. Although I don’t think the likes of BWill and TJ really impact us that much.

I think guys like Board , T Will( gone) and even Bowser are a waste and will be roster fillers or gone next year.

There’s no quick fix in my eyes. FA and the Draft have to prioritize IOL AND Defense. Front to back too. To me we need help from the DLine to the back end. The fall off from our starters to the back up is steep!

Now ignoring FA ( since we don’t know who’s gonna be there and for what price ) in the Draft I say build from the inside out. We did the opposite on Offense and it’s work ok but still a need at Oline. Defense I’d go Interior pass rush, Edge Rusher , MLB , edge setting OLB then quality DB.

I do like Winks scheme. I think ET can have a “re-birth” here on the back end with this scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I agree 100 Shrubbsy. Although I don’t think the likes of BWill and TJ really impact us that much.

I think guys like Board , T Will( gone) and even Bowser are a waste and will be roster fillers or gone next year.

There’s no quick fix in my eyes. FA and the Draft have to prioritize IOL AND Defense. Front to back too. To me we need help from the DLine to the back end. The fall off from our starters to the back up is steep!

Now ignoring FA ( since we don’t know who’s gonna be there and for what price ) in the Draft I say build from the inside out. We did the opposite on Offense and it’s work ok but still a need at Oline. Defense I’d go Interior pass rush, Edge Rusher , MLB , edge setting OLB then quality DB.

I do like Winks scheme. I think ET can have a “re-birth” here on the back end with this scheme.

What ever happened to "Next Man up". That statement used to mean something with this team.

When a Ray Lewis went down, an Ed Hartwell stepped in and the defense was still effective. This team had a history of scenarios like that were some depth unknown player suddenly had to step in and start.

Yes, this team lost some key starters but the lack of talent among the LB core, DL and apparently now the secondary is troubling and the talent just has been the same as years past in my opinion.

I do like Winks scheme but I think too many blitzes are hurting as its obviously not working anyway. So instead of rushing so much maybe mix it up to see if pass coverage improves as its blatantly obvious the DL is not improving with the group they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    What ever happened to "Next Man up". That statement used to mean something with this team.

When a Ray Lewis went down, an Ed Hartwell stepped in and the defense was still effective. This team had a history of scenarios like that were some depth unknown player suddenly had to step in and start.

Yes, this team lost some key starters but the lack of talent among the LB core, DL and apparently now the secondary is troubling and the talent just has been the same as years past in my opinion.

I do like Winks scheme but I think too many blitzes are hurting as its obviously not working anyway. So instead of rushing so much maybe mix it up to see if pass coverage improves as its blatantly obvious the DL is not improving with the group they have.
    The problem is we haven't been drafting well.

Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser are the classic next man up guys. The problem is that guys like Courtney Upshaw used to step up for a guy like Jarrett Johnson because they didn't suck.

The drafts from 2012-2017 have had a major impact on the talent of this team.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser are the classic next man up guys. The problem is that guys like Courtney Upshaw used to step up for a guy like Jarrett Johnson because they didn't suck.

I would definitely agree with that on not drafting well. It was the undrafted guys who used to be the next man up alot of times.

I hope Decosta does change that aspect of this team.

I have not see enough of Elliott or Clark to say either is better than Jefferson. I think drafting at every level of the defense should be priority in free agency & draft starting with DL, LB secondary in that order.

I was a big Jefferson fan of him signing, he just has not had the same impact he did like he did in Arizona in my opinion. Maybe that is scheme or maybe its him.

Either way both and and Thomas have been major disappointments. If the choice could be made all over again id choose Weddle over Thomas or Jefferson. I always wondered why Levine never got a shot to take Jeffersons job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Correa (2nd round), Kaufusi (3rd), Willie Henry (4th), all in 2016... Bc

IMHO, combination of talent and scheme for that talent at the moment.

Moreso talent, but I'm not a fan of Winks calls for this defense.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Nothing wrong with this defense that adding Gerald McCoy & Jadaveon Clowney & Shaq Barrett wouldn't fix.
    I like the way you think sometimes Jimmy!

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Rub salt in the wound why don't you?