Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Your thoughts on the NBA social warrior's silence on Communist China?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Is it also possible that LeBron surrounded himself with really good people and he had very little innovation into any of these things? He just provided the $$$?

And, for what it's worth, I don't think LeBron is dumb. Politically and socially naive, yea. But not dumb.
    What the heck?!?!....anybody on earth who has ever had a successful company has been smart enough to hire the right people around them to get to where they want to be. Has it ever hit you as to why people who displayed exceptional intellect on the court (i.e. thought through the game) like LeBron, Kobe, Magic, Jordan have run super successful ventures off of it? It's because they are smart and intelligent. Period. At the end of the day, all of those guys have he final say in what they are investing in and I'm sure most know about plenty of what they are getting into. It's not just because they are physically gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, but you didn't say Bill Gates.

You said Jeff Bezos.

Also, Bill Gates was studying advanced mathematics at Harvard for 2 years before dropping out. It's a bit of a false equivalency because clearly Gates could have gotten a degree from Harvard.
    Even though there is probably tons of evidence suggesting LeBron could've earned a high-level degree if wanted to (look up videos of him displaying his ability to recall information, it's FREAKING INSANE), I could also easily say that you are saying that book smarts is the only type of smarts there is when we know that that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    And Bill Gates can't take the ball at the top of the key and in 3 steps, sometimes dribbling sometimes not, go around/through 3 6' 8" and up defenders and dunk...consistently.

He's not dumb but let's not pretend he earned his "investing" money using his brain.
    Wow, I can't even believe you wrote that. If you took one second to research it, you would see there are many many stories printed online about how LeBron goes through his investing strategy and how he has been so successful. You typing this suggests you just want to be ignorant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Wow, I can't even believe you wrote that. If you took one second to research it, you would see there are many many stories printed online about how LeBron goes through his investing strategy and how he has been so successful. You typing this suggests you just want to be ignorant.
    I think what's he's saying is without the money from basketball who knows where he'd be. Ease up a little.

Wow, I can't even believe you wrote that.
    I'm not sure why if you read what I said and understand the point I was trying to make. I did read about Lebron before posting that too btw.

If you want to talk about guys that did it all with their brains and guys that you could probably drop in any situation and they would end up rich and powerful through pure intelligence, business acumen and moxie we should probably not be talking about any high tier (as in GOAT) type athletes like Jordan or Shaq etc.. Guys whose starting point is a couple hundred million in salary and marketing deals. Guys with funny money and worldwide name recognition/marketing because they are good athletes.

Comparing Gates and Lebron just seems silly to me for that reason.

I wouldn't put them in the same category.

My kid wanted some "Beats" a couple years ago. I didn't know what they were that's how clueless I am but of course being the one that had to pay the 100 bucks or so I was like okay what are these things. I discovered they were one of Dr Dre's businesses and ended up going online and reading a lot about him and coming away extremely impressed and amazed at the fortune he had amassed. I remember thinking the guy was just a business/money making savant.

I have a hard time taking athletes as seriously as guys that start from scratch and make their own fortunes. It's easier to gage the business smarts and acumen of a Gates or Dre and they are probably better guys to study and try to emulate. If you want to compare Lebron with his peers I think of people like Shaq is worth 400M and Jordan is at 1.9 Billion. Shaq has an MBA and a PHD too btw which is impressive because you can't buy or fake those degrees. Those are both guys in a similar category to Lebron who started with a couple hundred million or more in earnings through salary or endorsements and through "sport" have worldwide instant marketing/name recognition.

The difference between the two categories is if you take away the money and name recognition gained through sport, the sport guys probably are suburban house dads with a 30 year notes on modest dwellings and a 401Ks. Those other guys... they would end up VPs or business owners of some sort and probably still be loaded because they are pure businessmen. Forward thinking, brilliant guys that know how to make money.

I'm not trying to offend you or anyone here by saying this but I don't think Lebron is one of those types of guys.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 10-14-2019 at 09:01 AM.

I fully understand you disagreeing with LeBron, cuz I fully agree with you well, but why the hell are you talking about his ability to speak intelligently. There is literally no reason to bring that up. And then yáll wonder why black athletes complain about stuff like this. And on top of it, it's ironic since he might be the most intelligent basketball player of all time.
    This is a very over-sensitive reply. I'll point out why. I said he doesn't speak intelligently because of the content of his speech. I didn't imply, in any way, the manner of how he speaks was questionable. Also... don't be a drama queen and say he was one of the smartest because that's ridiculous... the dude barely made it out of high-school. Trajan Langdon had 2 masters degrees. Grant Hill was fluent in two languages as was Kobe Bryant. There have been many NBA Players WAAAY smarter than LeBron. Basically, the entire Dream Team of 1991 would run circles around him. David Robinson graduated from the freaking Naval Academy...do you know how hard that is???
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    This is a very over-sensitive reply. I'll point out why. I said he doesn't speak intelligently because of the content of his speech. I didn't imply, in any way, the manner of how he speaks was questionable. Also... don't be a drama queen and say he was one of the smartest because that's ridiculous... the dude barely made it out of high-school. Trajan Langdon had 2 masters degrees. Grant Hill was fluent in two languages as was Kobe Bryant. There have been many NBA Players WAAAY smarter than LeBron. Basically, the entire Dream Team of 1991 would run circles around him. David Robinson graduated from the freaking Naval Academy...do you know how hard that is???
    Also, on the topic of "Athletes get mad about people calling out their ability to sound intelligent". Then sound intelligent... simple as that. Say intelligent things in a reputable dialect. That isn't a racist comment. I bring up David Robinson... do you recall ANYONE saying he sounded dumb? Nope. What about Michael Jordan? Nope. You want to know why? They held their head upright, enunciated full words, and used complete sentences. Did anyone ever call out Kobe Bryant? No. Same reason.

We need to separate this hypocritical behavior of saying ANYTHING negative about a person and then immediately linking it to a stereotype of some make-believe culture. Its getting ridiculous.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

We need to separate this hypocritical behavior of saying ANYTHING negative about a person and then immediately linking it to a stereotype of some make-believe culture. Its getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think what's he's saying is without the money from basketball who knows where he'd be. Ease up a little.
    I can now see that I probably come off a little harsh, but I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of guys who had supreme physical ability, but never knew how to think through the mental aspect of the game, or think through life and business, and so they never really made it anywhere.

For example, here in our hometown, we have two guys in Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, who I personally think are some of the smartest to ever do it. They became greats, not so much because their physical ability or stature was so much greater than everyone else's, but because their intellect was superior. I think the same thing applies to Bron.

I see where you are going, but what you're essentially saying is that there have been players who were more accomplished in the classroom than LeBron (and he didn't barely make it through high school. I have no idea where you got that), but if you ask other NBA players, they pretty much all say he's the smartest player they've ever been around.

Again, if you look up videos of his ability to recall information, it's insane and way above and beyond the average person.

I get what you are saying, and I believe it is true to an extent, but on the other hand, I believe we should also stop saying "[such and such] said this and doesn't agree with me, therefore that person is unintelligent, stupid, or dumb"

I think as you and other's have said before, it's good to get into the habit of saying instead that "[such and such person] is naive about this topic/ignorant about this topic"

I get what you are saying, and I believe it is true to an extent, but on the other hand, I believe we should also stop saying "[such and such] said this and doesn't agree with me, therefore that person is unintelligent, stupid, or dumb"

I think as you and other's have said before, it's good to get into the habit of saying instead that "[such and such person] is naive about this topic/ignorant about this topic"
    You know what... you're right and I apologize. Generalizations, especially on a bulletin board, should be avoided. I disagree with LeBron's views on almost every social stance. He does posses some form of intelligence, but we were comparing different types of intelligence. Does the guy probably have some reasoning and recall capabilities? Yes. I still would put him up against David Robinson and watch him leave any debate crying hahaha. David Robinson was a SUPER intelligent guy... both book intelligence and critical thinking intelligence. He was just a choke artist in games that mattered lol.

I'll try to be better about generalizations moving forward, and by that I mean saying the entire person is a moron because of a specific belief he has is different than my own. Except we can ALL agree that AOC is an idiot in every single manner of perspective correct?

Good catch buddy. Excellent response.